Luke 4:33,34

Started by Eltu Lefngap Makto, January 03, 2012, 07:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eltu Lefngap Makto

I just heard an excellent sermon by a Doctor of Philosophy on Luke 4.  It made me think of how much clearer it would be to have a Na'vi Bible!  :)

In the synagogue there was a man who had a spirit of an unclean demon, and he cried out with a loud voice,

Numtsengmì tute terok a fìporu lolu tirea tsewta vrrtepä.  Zolawng nawna mokrifa fayluta,

There was, in the classroom, a person who had the spirit of a filthy demon.  He screamed with a great voice, these words,

saying, "Ah! what have we to do with you, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know you who you are: the Holy One of God!"

au!  kempe si moe ngaru, ma Yeysu ta Natsara?  Srake za'u skiva'a moet?  Omum oel nga a fìpo lu, alu Swoka 'Awpo Yawehyä!

Oi!  What do we do with you, Jesus from Nazara?  Do you come to destroy usI know who you are, that is the Holy Individual of Yahweh!

I'm trying to go all TA on my use of a, but I'm not sure about it.

Notice how the simple first-person-plural of Greek and English gets complicated in a language with dual number!
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap Makto on January 03, 2012, 07:02:06 PM
I just heard an excellent sermon by a Doctor of Philosophy on Luke 4.  It made me think of how much clearer it would be to have a Na'vi Bible!  :)

In the synagogue there was a man who had a spirit of an unclean demon, and he cried out with a loud voice,

Numtsengit terok a fìporu lolu tirea tsewtxa vrrtepä.  Zolawng woka mokrifa san

There was, in the classroom, a person who had the spirit of a filthy demon.  He screamed with a loud voice, these words,

saying, "Ah! what have we to do with you, Jesus of Nazareth? Have you come to destroy us? I know you who you are: the Holy One of God!"

au!  kempe si moe ngahu ma Yeysu ta Natsara?  Srake za'u fte skiva'a moet?  oeru smon nga alu Swoka 'Awpo Yaweyä!

Oi!  What do we do with you, Jesus from Nazara?  Do you come to destroy usI know who you are, that is the Holy Individual of Yahweh!

I'm trying to go all TA on my use of a, but I'm not sure about it.

Notice how the simple first-person-plural of Greek and English gets complicated in a language with dual number!

;)

Eltu Lefngap Makto

Irayo, irayo, irayo!   ;D

Doesn't yours just say, "I am familiar with you, Holy One of Yahweh".  Is there no equivalent to "I know who you are"?
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Tirea Aean

nìprrte'

how is "you are familiar to me, == I know you" different at all from "i know who you are"? isnt it the same idea?

Eltu Lefngap Makto

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 03, 2012, 08:06:11 PM
how is "you are familiar to me, == I know you" different at all from "i know who you are"? isnt it the same idea?

As a paraphrase, yeah it's fine.  But it has me curious: can Na'vi distinguish the way we can in English between "I know who you are" and "I know what you are"?
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Tirea Aean

not that i have seen. it is probably possible but will most likely be much more specific than "what you are". maybe "which rank you are" or "which kind of person you are" no one knows for sure tho.

Eltu Lefngap Makto

Sort of a

Oel omum futa fnepo lu nga.
or
Oel omum fnepot a nga lu.

???  ???  ???
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Tirea Aean

second one.

edit: wait a second. is fnepo even a word? Id sue fnetutet instead.

Eltu Lefngap Makto

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 04, 2012, 12:10:05 PM
edit: wait a second. is fnepo even a word? I'd use fnetutet instead.

yeah, *fnepo would be what kind of he/she.
'Ivong, Na'vi!