Phillipians 4:13

Started by Mako, January 08, 2012, 12:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mako

Sat in our morning service and translated this. I think I did a fair job.

Oe tsun kem sivi ayu nìwotx mì Kxrrì'stu pesul tìng oeru tìtxurit. -Phillipians 4:13

Eltu Lefngap Makto

Thanks for posting!  I don't think Na'vi uses 'who'/-pe+ the way we do in English.  I think you want an a instead.
i.e. 'Christ who walks' becomes 'Kxrrì'stu a tìran'
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Tirea Aean

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. (KJV)Tsun oe frakem sivi nìwotx fa Yeysu a oeru tìng tìtxurit.Can I everything do totally by[means of] Jesus who to me gives strength.

Mako

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap Makto on January 09, 2012, 05:34:43 AM
Thanks for posting!  I don't think Na'vi uses 'who'/-pe+ the way we do in English.  I think you want an a instead.
i.e. 'Christ who walks' becomes 'Kxrrì'stu a tìran'

I still don't quite understand how -a- works. Mind giving me an explaination?

Eltu Lefngap Makto

Tirea was recently blowing my mind about just that word.  It sort of smashes across lines in English.  There are at least four English words that can come up:

The woman who loves me has come.
The top that spins a lot broke.
There is one law which is given unto men.
What you have I want.

In Na'vi, the mess expands because all those funky contractions -- fwa, fula, furia, futa, etc. -- actually contain an a.  I had the nightmare and the benefit of an English teacher who made me diagram sentences.  Basically, if two words (or two clauses, or a word and a clause) occupy the same space in a sentence, then you need some kind of a.

The womanhas come
(she) who loves me

The topbroke
(the thing) that spins

There is onelaw
(thing) which is given to men

(the thing which)you have I want
what

So, in Na'vinglish:

The woman a loves me has come.
The top a spins a lot broke.
There is one law a is given unto men.
Fì'u a (fwa) you have I want.
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Mako

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap Makto on January 09, 2012, 02:14:59 PM

Clauses are buggers. So continuing this train, once it gets into fwa, futa, etc. I get lost. I think I understand the more simple forms of -a-. Are there any good ways to remember it?

Tirea Aean

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap Makto on January 09, 2012, 02:14:59 PM
Tirea was recently blowing my mind about just that word.  It sort of smashes across lines in English.  There are at least four English words that can come up:

The woman who loves me has come.
The top that spins a lot broke.
There is one law which is given unto men.
What you have I want.

In Na'vi, the mess expands because all those funky contractions -- fwa, fula, furia, futa, etc. -- actually contain an a.  I had the nightmare and the benefit of an English teacher who made me diagram sentences.  Basically, if two words (or two clauses, or a word and a clause) occupy the same space in a sentence, then you need some kind of a.

The womanhas come
(she) who loves me

The topbroke
(the thing) that spins

There is onelaw
(thing) which is given to men

(the thing which)you have I want
what

So, in Na'vinglish:

The woman a loves me has come.
The top a spins a lot broke.
There is one law a is given unto men.
Fì'u a (fwa) you have I want.

Brilliant.

EDIT: Except
QuoteFì'ut a (futa) you have I want

Also,

Quote from: Reyona te Tsateka Ray'i'itan on January 09, 2012, 02:22:19 PM
So continuing this train, once it gets into fwa, futa, etc. I get lost. I think I understand the more simple forms of -a-. Are there any good ways to remember it?

Guess what my next Youtube video series JUST so happens to be on? (Coming Soon...)

Mako

Hehe, TA always pulling through ;)

Tirea Aean

and editing his posts after posting xD One of these days I will thoroughly examine my posts BEFORE I post them xD

Can't wait to make the videos. Also, what do you guys think of my take on Phillipians 4:13? No discussion/comments?

Mako

I'm bad about that too. I post something then I think "wait! I want to say this too!" :P

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 09, 2012, 08:06:03 AM

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. (KJV)Tsun oe frakem sivi nìwotx fa Yeysu a oeru tìng tìtxurit.Can I everything do totally by[means of] Jesus who to me gives strength.

I like how you use totally, but I'm not keen on Tsun oe frakem sivi. It feels like a question, even with free word order..

Mako

Right, it's just that personal feel for me. It's off. I know it's correct in all, just feels off.

Tirea Aean

Tsun oe X is VERY typical. Paul uses that word order with modals often. (e.g. "tsun oe ngahu pivängkxo[...]", "zene oe 'awsiteng tìkangkem sivi[...]", etc.)

Remember, in Na'vi, word order CANNOT create a question. ONLY a word attached to -pe+, or the word srak(e) can ever make a statement into a question.

The difference between "I can do all things" and "Can I do all things?" in English is the word order. in Na'vi: "Oe tsun frakem sivi" and "Tsun oe frakem sivi." are equivalent. To make it a question, you must add srak here. "Tsun oe frakem sivi SRAK?"

(EDIT: sorry, something weird happened. :| )

Quote from: Reyona te Tsateka Ray'i'itan on January 09, 2012, 03:19:47 PM
Right, it's just that personal feel for me. It's off. I know it's correct in all, just feels off.

You'll get used to it. just use it often. Either that or you sure will end up seeing it often

Mako

Yeah, I know I didn't double post lol

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Irayo! There is a lot of helpful stuff in this post, besides the important scripture verse (which I think I will memorize)! (TA, that means I like what you wrote!)

Ma Reyona, think of tsun as 'be able' instead of 'can', and it will make a whole lot more sense.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Mako

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on January 10, 2012, 02:49:02 AM
Irayo! There is a lot of helpful stuff in this post, besides the important scripture verse (which I think I will memorize)! (TA, that means I like what you wrote!)

Ma Reyona, think of tsun as 'be able' instead of 'can', and it will make a whole lot more sense.

Ma 'eylan, I actually think of it as can be able to, not just can. Would this be incorrect?

Tirea Aean

can be able to... i guess.thats ok, probably just a little redundant. but it simply means "can: in the sense of be able to"

EDIT: Tstunwi ma `Eylan. :)