Main Menu

Psalm 14:1

Started by Eltu Lefngap Makto, January 17, 2012, 04:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eltu Lefngap Makto

The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt. They have done abominable works. There is none who does good.

Skxawng mì te'lan poltxe san Yawey ke tok sìk. Mäpeykäkxu fo.  Tsukve'kìa kem soli fo.  Sìltsana kem ke seri kawtu.

A moron said in his heart, "There is not God."  They make themselves disharmonious.  They did hatable things.  Ain't no one doing no good thing.
'Ivong, Na'vi!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Interesting verse to translate!

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap Makto on January 17, 2012, 04:30:25 PM

The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt. They have done abominable works. There is none who does good.

Skxawng mì te'lan poltxe san Yawey ke fkeytok sìk. Mäpeykäkxu fo.  Tsukve'kìa fo kem soli foKe sìltsana fo kem ke seri kawtu.

A moron said in his heart, "There is not God."  They make themselves disharmonious.  They did hatable things.  Ain't no one doing no good thing.

Adjectives have to be right next to the nouns they modify. I think I have the double negative part right.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

fkeytok = exist

They are corrupt --> They cause themselves to interrupt ___ ? ???

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on January 17, 2012, 09:23:47 PM
Interesting verse to translate!

Quote from: Eltu Lefngap Makto on January 17, 2012, 04:30:25 PM

Skxawng mì te'lan poltxe san Yawey ke fkeytok sìk. Mäpeykäkxu fo.  Tsukve'kìa kem soli fo.  sìltsana kem ke seri kawtu.

Adjectives have to be right next to the nouns they modify. I think I have the double negative part right.

and yet you put something right in between? ??? you forget that ke goes always right before the verb.

Eltu Lefngap Makto

I was going more with the definition
Mäkxu - throw out of harmonious balance
fo mäpeykäkxu - they cause themselves to be thrown out of harmonious balance.
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Tirea Aean

in the sense of interupt the flow and harmony.

also what does that have to do with they are corrupt

Eltu Lefngap Makto

When fko hear 'corrupt', it brings to mind 'corrupt politicians' or 'file system: corrupt'.  The latter one is closer to the hebrew word shachath

שָׁחַת

1) to destroy, corrupt, go to ruin, decay
  a) (Niphal) to be marred, be spoiled, be corrupted, be corrupt, be injured, be ruined, be rotted
  b) (Piel)
    1) to spoil, ruin
    2) to pervert, corrupt, deal corruptly (morally)
  c) (Hiphil)
    1) to spoil, ruin, destroy
    2) to pervert, corrupt (morally)
    3) destroyer (participle)
  d) (Hophal) spoiled, ruined (participle)

Basically, 'to be the opposite of meoauniaea'.
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Tirea Aean

can we not say rotten? 0____o

EDIT: oh wow, we really cant. #feyl
we need this word.

Eltu Lefngap Makto

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 17, 2012, 10:55:24 PM
can we not say rotten? 0____o

EDIT: oh wow, we really cant. #feyl
we need this word.

I saw this before the email and wondered, "What does he know that I don't?!"  ;)
'Ivong, Na'vi!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I didn't comment on the use of mäkxu, because it was a interesting, creative use of the word (and it made sense to me). And I agree with TA that we need words for both 'corrupt' and 'rotten'. 'Rotten' has a more specific meaning than 'corrupt', but 'corrupt' has often been used as a euphemism for 'rot'.  However, the most important meaning of 'corrupt' (and the one needed here) is one that has cultural implications that will probably not be addressable at this time.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]