Main Menu

Romans 12:1

Started by Eltu Lefngap Makto, January 11, 2012, 02:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eltu Lefngap Makto

I call upon you, therefore, brethren, through the compassions of God, to present your bodies as a sacrifice -- living, sanctified, acceptable to God -- your intelligent service;
Ayngari, oe vin, ma smuk, Yaweyä tìtstunwifa futa tolìng sokx wutsona alu _ rusey, swoksì Yaweyru tsukmll'ansì alu leluna kìte'e.

I request that y'all, my siblings, by means of the kindness of YHWH, give (y'all's) bodies like a served meal -- that is, living and holy and acceptable to YHWH -- that is (y'all's) reasonable service.

I totally fudged on this.  It was verse of the day and I wanted it! :-X
'Ivong, Na'vi!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I'll agree about the 'fudged' part! One that stuck out right away wutso = 'sacrifice', although that is partially correct. There are some things to look at later when I have more time, as Romans 12:1-2 is one of my favorite passages of scripture.

Paul was a very literate man, and his use of 'long words' in Greek translates to 'long words' in English!

The next verse contains one of my favorite Greek words: 'suskematidzo'.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

oh boy. Sacrifice.

also, Intelligent service? I thought it was reasonable service?

Eltu Lefngap Makto

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 11, 2012, 04:03:41 PM
oh boy. Sacrifice.

also, Intelligent service? I thought it was reasonable service?
I figured that's what lelun would be.
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Tirea Aean

it's a possibility. why not propose it before the LEP? it makes sense to me. Sacrifice though can be proposed if you propose it in a nonreligious context. (flamewar avoidance) Surely the na'vi have some kind of concept of giving something up, sometimes to receive return. or should we just use offer?

Eltu Lefngap Makto

Quote from: Tirea Aean on January 11, 2012, 05:06:02 PM
it's a possibility. why not propose it before the LEP? it makes sense to me. Sacrifice though can be proposed if you propose it in a nonreligious context. (flamewar avoidance) Surely the na'vi have some kind of concept of giving something up, sometimes to receive return. or should we just use offer?
Or maybe "give up for something else".  e.g. In WWII Winston Churchill sacrificed an entire city so the Germans wouldn't know that the British had cracked the ENIGMA encryption system.
'Ivong, Na'vi!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I think an entirely satisfactory word for 'sacrifice' can be created without even making a religious reference in the LEP post.

The Na'vi, if anything, seem to sacrifice their strength to Eywa (from what we've seen so far), as opposed to any physical thing. Their dynamical relationship with Eywa is a good example of the dynamical relationship we should have with our Lord.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Tirea Aean

I do have a feeling that the word sacrifice WILL exist at some point in the language.

Eltu Lefngap Makto

I think until then wutso with an asterisks (as a note to replace it one day) is ok, right?
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Tirea Aean

sure. I hope that there is a good system to categorize ones which need updating in the future lest we forget and leave it thusly translated ;)

Eltu Lefngap Makto

I've been footnoting them on my wiki.
'Ivong, Na'vi!

Tirea Aean