A Song Of Ice And Fire series

Started by Emtokay, May 27, 2013, 06:49:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clarke

Quote from: Blue Elf on August 16, 2013, 07:40:09 AM
That's why I think it's better to read book first. On the paper you suffer less - and you can stop anytime and even skip some pages :)
Also, the books are less gory.  :P

QuoteWell, I can agree. At first moment I didn't like Tyrion Lanister, for example, but later it appears more like positive character. That's also why I'm curious for next volumes.
TBH, Tyrion, Varys and Littlefinger are my favourite characters ATM. All three of them are rather nasty, but they pull it off with style. ;)

QuoteAnyway, it would be very interesting to know GRRM's mental processes while he's writing this big story. I'm interested in how many steps he thinks ahead, if he even knows how it all will end, if he leaves somebody to die just because of sudden idea etc.
For example Terry Pratchett has his Discworld plotted even books ahead - there are are volumes where he references previous parts, but also parts not yet created!

(Also, off-topic note: I love Discworld. I'm currently rereading several books in the series while waiting for Raising Steam. )

Eana Unil

Quote from: Clarke on November 25, 2013, 09:09:09 AM
Quote from: Blue Elf on August 16, 2013, 07:40:09 AM
That's why I think it's better to read book first. On the paper you suffer less - and you can stop anytime and even skip some pages :)
Also, the books are less gory.  :P
And there's less... intercourse, heh. But I guess the TV show needs to offer more gore and sex, because you know, sex sells and not everyone who watches the TV show has read the books and thus knows how awesome aSoIaF is, even without so much blood and stuff. :P The "mental cruelty" (inside the story towards various characters and thus towards the reader) is far better/more thrilling than obvious splatter effects and stuff, but well, that's just my opinion. (This could come out wrong/not as intended, lol, no I'm not a sadist, I'm more of a "masochist" because I'm reading/watching all this and letting GRRM tear my heart into bits over and over again, lol)

Mesireatu

Varför minns jag alla dåliga vitsar, men glömmer alla infix i Na'vi?? ???
Why do I remember all bad jokes, but forget all the infixes in Na'vi?? :-[

Jag älskar dig, Sara L!!
Nga yawne lu oer, Sara L!!

Emtokay

I got bored reading the second book. It just got boring for me.
If Nothing In This World Can Change Our Children Will Inherit Nothing

moonbeam

I read the first book a few months ago. I enjoyed, but there was a lot to follow. I was a bit tired when I finished it.

Click the dragons to give them love!

Eana Unil

That won't get any better, trust me ;D But it's worth it imho, even if it gets even harder and more boring in specific parts of the story, but yeah... you can't have it all :P Still better than the TV series tho  ;)

Blue Elf

Quote from: moonbeam on November 02, 2016, 09:25:36 PM
I read the first book a few months ago. I enjoyed, but there was a lot to follow. I was a bit tired when I finished it.
Hard to read, but impossible to stop :) I know.
BTW - is there any new volume available? I finished 5th part (Dance with dragons) many months ago, I have no info about upcoming volumes. Does anyone knows? Any official news?
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)