Previous topic - Next topic

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Quote from: Clarke on April 06, 2013, 02:27:34 PM
Quote from: Teylar Ta Palulukankelku on April 03, 2013, 02:06:59 PM
Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on April 02, 2013, 06:30:18 PM
War is Peace
Ignorance is Strength
Freedom is Slavery

Double-think in it's purest form. It's also very interesting to see how George Orwell has influence the entire English language with his large set of self-made words and expressions made specifically for this book, up to the point where these phrases and other things related to George Orwell has gotten it's own adjective; Orwellian.
IMO, "ignorance is strength" (and possibly "freedom is slavery") isn't so much doublethink as a case where the meanings of words get vague around the edges. Think about an only very slightly different phrasing: ignorance is resolve.

It's true, isn't it?  ;)

Never heard of that phrase before  :-\. Where does it come from  ????

And AFAIK ``double-think´´ means that someone, either someone else or yourself, tricks you into thinking about something in a contradictory fashion, such as ``War is peace´´.
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mesireatu

I haven't read the book, but Diamond Dogs is a nice album.
Varför minns jag alla dåliga vitsar, men glömmer alla infix i Na'vi?? ???
Why do I remember all bad jokes, but forget all the infixes in Na'vi?? :-[

Jag älskar dig, Sara L!!
Nga yawne lu oer, Sara L!!

baritone

In the USSR in the 1920's it have been written an interesting book, which echoes from 1984. It's called "We", the author - Zamyatin. Curiously, Zamyatin - member of the Bolshevik Party, and when he asked Stalin to expel him from the Soviet Union, because it began to be treated badly because of this book, he wrote that he would remain a communist abroad :) Orwell also fought in Spain against Franco in the Trotskyist squads. Politics is full of paradoxes  ;D

Teylar Ta Palulukankelku

Ma Il Sogno Viandante: Was ``Diamond Dogs´´ that concept album based on the book  ????

ma baritone: Srane, indeed it is  ;D.
Set oe slolu Kxitx, hifkeyä ska'ayu

The spam section: Where the random s**t happens ;D.

I can't deny it: I'm a smiley addict ;D.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Mesireatu

Yes, it was. I even think that David B or someone else wrote that on the sleeve. At least it was a future dysopia.. Nowadays, there is a Swedish drag show group called Diamond Dogs.. O sedes, O morem..
Varför minns jag alla dåliga vitsar, men glömmer alla infix i Na'vi?? ???
Why do I remember all bad jokes, but forget all the infixes in Na'vi?? :-[

Jag älskar dig, Sara L!!
Nga yawne lu oer, Sara L!!