General Discussion > Books and Literature

Book Recommendation: To Kill a Mockingbird

(1/3) > >>

Yayo:
Okay, I should probably be the last person to recommend this as I have only just "jumped onto the TKAM train". We all grew up hearing about it but did we ever actually bother to read it? I am here to tell you to read it. It is absolutely fantastic. I will give a brief synopsis in the spoiler below.

SpoilerIt is Maycomb County, Alabama in the decade of 1930. Jem and Scout Finch are the two children of Atticus Finch; a lawyer who is defending Tom Robinson - a Negro who has been charged with the assault and rape of Mayella Ewell. The book explores coming to terms with racism and how to evaluate it whilst showing the strength of friendship through harsh times. It also notes the racially predujiced ideology that was prominent in Southern States.
For a more thorough plot overview, click here

It is worth reading.. We had to read it for English, so I had to read it and I am angry at myself for refusing to read it for my own benefit. It is absolutely amazing.

'Itan Atxur:
Because I changed districts, I had to read TKAM twice in high school. At the time, I HATED English class and I HATED reading. I loved TKAM and was so happy I got to read it a second time my Sophomore year.

There's actually a video game (The Darkness) which includes the entire movie on one of the TV's in the game (amongst other full shows from the era). Twice now I've sat and watched the VERY low resolution movie at an awkward in game angle due to my character because I don't have the movie in real life. I think I should probably do something about that.

Yayo:

--- Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on May 03, 2011, 12:44:29 am ---Because I changed districts, I had to read TKAM twice in high school. At the time, I HATED English class and I HATED reading. I loved TKAM and was so happy I got to read it a second time my Sophomore year.

There's actually a video game (The Darkness) which includes the entire movie on one of the TV's in the game (amongst other full shows from the era). Twice now I've sat and watched the VERY low resolution movie at an awkward in game angle due to my character because I don't have the movie in real life. I think I should probably do something about that.

--- End quote ---

Bahahaha! That's an awesome Easter Egg! Watching movie from a game, awesome.

'Itan Atxur:

--- Quote from: Yayo. on May 03, 2011, 12:47:13 am ---
--- Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on May 03, 2011, 12:44:29 am ---Because I changed districts, I had to read TKAM twice in high school. At the time, I HATED English class and I HATED reading. I loved TKAM and was so happy I got to read it a second time my Sophomore year.

--- End quote ---

Bahahaha! That's an awesome Easter Egg! Watching movie from a game, awesome.

--- End quote ---

You even get an in game girl friend to cuddle up on the couch and watch it with!

Yayo:
I watched a bit of the movie and Greogory Peck portrayed Atticus exacly how I imagined him to be in the book.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version