Books to film

Started by 'Oma Tirea, May 03, 2011, 01:16:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on May 19, 2011, 06:54:57 PM
I could have sworn that was in the book...

Really? :O I don't have the books at home to verify, but I'm pretty sure that it is different in the novel. :) Here's what I found on the internet:

Human No More

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on May 03, 2011, 09:02:48 AM
The best book to film transition is definitely "Holes". They very nearly followed the book word for word.
I didn't know there was a film... I read that book as a child and really liked it, I'll have to look for the film :)
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Yayo

Water for Elephants

I want the book. Haven't seen the movie yet.

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

'Itan Atxur

Has anybody seen the Swedish "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" movies? If you've read the books, skip these movies. The director clearly didn't read the books and makes the main character into a completely different person than in the books. If you haven't read the books and are considering watching the movies... don't.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on May 22, 2011, 04:05:06 PM
Has anybody seen the Swedish "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" movies? If you've read the books, skip these movies. The director clearly didn't read the books and makes the main character into a completely different person than in the books. If you haven't read the books and are considering watching the movies... don't.

I think I've read the books before (if I remember well), and I really loved the films anyway. :) I found the first one especially awesome! Well, I obviously still prefer the books - the amount of details and the quality of writing in them are astonishing - but I still found the movies acceptable and enjoyable. Also, unlike you, I really thought they did a great job with the casting of Lisbeth. :D Why do you say the Lisbeth of the films is absolutely different from the books?

Yayo

I see a lot of people reading those books..

Yayo on facebook

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on June 01, 2011, 09:03:24 AM
Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on May 22, 2011, 04:05:06 PM

I think I've read the books before (if I remember well), and I really loved the films anyway. :) I found the first one especially awesome! Well, I obviously still prefer the books - the amount of details and the quality of writing in them are astonishing - but I still found the movies acceptable and enjoyable. Also, unlike you, I really thought they did a great job with the casting of Lisbeth. :D Why do you say the Lisbeth of the films is absolutely different from the books?

I think the actress did an absolutely excellent job... with what she was given. I couldn't be happier with her performance. The American actor has a lot to live up to. But the movie Lisbeth isn't the same as the book Lisbeth. Take this scene for an example:

I know there are more examples but I've done my best to block the movies from memory as to not tarnish my memory of the books  ;)

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Oh, I see! Now that you give those examples, I guess I really can't contradict you. :) So you think the treatment given to the character in the movies is bad, but that the actress has greatly executed the part of Lisbeth that they decided to put in the films? Sounds very reasonable to me, I think I see things the same way now. :D

Oh yes, they're gonna make an American version, kefyak? That's totally lame. :(

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on June 02, 2011, 08:21:43 AM
Oh, I see! Now that you give those examples, I guess I really can't contradict you. :) So you think the treatment given to the character in the movies is bad, but that the actress has greatly executed the part of Lisbeth that they decided to put in the films? Sounds very reasonable to me, I think I see things the same way now. :D

Well, it can only be better than the movies that were made. That and they were going to cast Natalie Portman as Lisbeth (whom I've never seen in anything less than an average movie) so that suggests to me they're taking the right steps.

Here's the IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1568346/

Rooney Mara is beautiful and has the right look for Lisbeth but I've never seen her in anything but very minor roles. I think Daniel Craig is perfectly cast as Micheal Bloomkvist. However, because it's a book to movie conversion, I'm not holding my breath. I still expect it to be disappointing.

Really it comes down to how long they intend to make the movies. Anything less than 90 minutes just won't be enough to put in all the necessary content. I know some of the fluff needs to be cut to make it work in a movie but some directors take it too far. And they don't have Stieg Larsson to consult so something will likely be lost in translation both literally and figuratively.

Good or bad, I'm probably gonna see it day one :). December 21st can't come fast enough.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on June 02, 2011, 01:40:15 PM
Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on June 02, 2011, 08:21:43 AM

Well, it can only be better than the movies that were made. That and they were going to cast Natalie Portman as Lisbeth (whom I've never seen in anything less than an average movie) so that suggests to me they're taking the right steps.

Here's the IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1568346/

Rooney Mara is beautiful and has the right look for Lisbeth but I've never seen her in anything but very minor roles. I think Daniel Craig is perfectly cast as Micheal Bloomkvist. However, because it's a book to movie conversion, I'm not holding my breath. I still expect it to be disappointing.

Really it comes down to how long they intend to make the movies. Anything less than 90 minutes just won't be enough to put in all the necessary content. I know some of the fluff needs to be cut to make it work in a movie but some directors take it too far. And they don't have Stieg Larsson to consult so something will likely be lost in translation both literally and figuratively.

Good or bad, I'm probably gonna see it day one :). December 21st can't come fast enough.

Oh my god, I wish they would have cast Portman to play Lisbeth! She's my absolute favourite actress. :D I don't really know Mara either but, as you said, she's beautiful and she kinda looks like a Lisbeth to me so, although I would have preferred Portman, I think Mara is a good choice. :) Also, Daniel Craig seems to have the perfect Blomkvist attitude, so that's not bad either! And Skarsgård (I'm sorry to say this) has the proper looks to play Martin Vanger. :P

Quite a nice cast, actually! But I think the reason why I've disliked the idea of an american adaptation from the start (just like in the case of Let Me In, that I haven't even watched yet and don't really plan to watch), is the fact that I love Swedish films and think there is no need of a remake not even 10 years after. To me, it just sounds like a 'there has to be a "proper" bluckbuster made from the mainstream scandinavian movies' thing, you know? I really don't think it's necessary that everything is made the way of America, and that's what's bothering me here. Why can't Swedes be left alone with their masterpiece? I prefer their movies to many big-budget productions!

But wow, December 2011 is coming really fast. hrh :)

'Itan Atxur

I too was disappointed Natalie isn't playing Lisbeth. But apparently it's not because she didn't want to do it, she just didn't have time what with all the other movies she's making.

And normally I'd agree that remaking even a lower budget foreign film this early is too much. The only legitimate exception to that is when the original movies just aren't that good and, well, you already know what I think of the movies ;)

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on June 02, 2011, 02:24:20 PM
I too was disappointed Natalie isn't playing Lisbeth. But apparently it's not because she didn't want to do it, she just didn't have time what with all the other movies she's making.

And normally I'd agree that remaking even a lower budget foreign film this early is too much. The only legitimate exception to that is when the original movies just aren't that good and, well, you already know what I think of the movies ;)

Oh yeah, I'm sure she must be approached by many many directors! :D It's true - if you didn't enjoy the movies, then chances are you might be better satisfied with another adaptation. ;)

Does anyone know something about the book Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Linqvist, or the film adaptations Let the Right One In and Let Me In? :) It's another case of Swedish novel adapted in Sweden, and later on in the US. I LOVE the original film adaptation, it's incredibly artistic and sensible - although they did many changes regarding the plot as well. :) Here are the two movie trailers:

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Sorry for the double post, but we were talking about Millennium and the first trailer that I know of has been releases this week! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yUwXwrR35U#ws
It looks like a wicked movie. I dunno if I only get this impression because of the way the trailer is made, but.. :o I really hope so. hrh :)

'Itan Atxur

It looks amazing! I've already spotted several scenes in the trailer being done properly that weren't done that way in the others.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on June 05, 2011, 11:28:33 AM
It looks amazing! I've already spotted several scenes in the trailer being done properly that weren't done that way in the others.

What are those scenes? :) I'm curious. ;)

After seeing this, I can definitely say that I love the looks of most characters. Even Erika Berger and Harriet Vanger seem to be well cast! :) Though, I'm not too sure about Nils Bjurman. The guy just doesn't look as disgusting as he should, in my opinion. But apart from that, it's very nice! :D Looking at the trailer, it kinda gives me the impression they're going to explore the "trashy" and brutal side of the story a lot - in other words, somewhat differently than the Swedish film adaptation but still truthfully to the novel. :)  

'Itan Atxur

I agree that Erica looks well cast. Seeing the new Lisbeth (though only for a few seconds) does make me wish they had the Swedish actress though. I'm sure the American actress will be fine :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yUwXwrR35U#ws

:19 - It looks like they'll be introducing more of the Vanger family.

:32 - Meriam Wu makes an appearance (she wasn't even mentioned in the Swedish movies until the second movie)

:38 - Lisbeth spends more time

:40 - They seem to be showing much more of what happened on the island when the crime was committed.

:50 - Vanger appears to have a
like he did in the books.

1:07 - Excellent shot of the new Salander :)

1:09 - They show what

I could be wrong, but I believe I may have spotted Cecilia Vanger in the trailer quite a few times which would suggest they actually plan on, you know, having her character in the movie.

One other small thing that bothered me about the Swedish movies is that the date on a certain document in the book is 1991, but for no apparent reason in the movies they switched it to 1993!! Why?!? I know this is just a small detail but I cannot for the life of me think of a reason to change this! I hope this document is dated 1991 in the new movies. I'm nitpicking, I know  :o but I'm all about the little details. I feel like I should be directing this movie  ::)

The one thing that they didn't show which has me slightly nervous is any of Lisbeth's
However, after really tearing the trailer apart I'm more excited for the movie than ever!

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Wow, so you really saw a lot in that trailer! :D I hope they're going to make another one sometime where one gets more specific elements that are developed a bit longer but, as you have shown it, this trailer already reveals many things. :) I also miss old Salander and I'm not sure how I'll react when I see the new one. However, I agree: I think the actress will make a very good job. ;)

I actually hadn't given a thought to Miriam Wu not being there in the Swedish film, but it's nice she is in this version! :D I'd definitely like to learn more about the Vangers for sure, they're an interesting family. :) And I understand what you mean with those annoying details. I'm not a person who notices subtleties a lot, but it's true that it can be bothering sometimes! :o

Yayo

My Mum tells me that The Client, a book that I finished reading a while ago, has also been turned into a movie. Apparently, like many of Grisham's film adaptions, it has Julia Roberts as one of the main roles. Has anyone seen the movie or read the book? The book's quite good.

Yayo on facebook

Yayo

Okay, sorry for the double post but I had to tell you guys something.

The movie, Around the World in Eighty Days is in no way similar to the book of the same title by Jules Verne. The only thing that they probably have in common are the characters' names and the fact that Fogg miscalculated by a day, resulting in his winning of the bet. Apart from that, I'd say they're two completely different stories.

Yayo on facebook

'Itan Atxur

Well, I did it!! I saw "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" one it's release day and I couldn't be happier with the movie. I was VERY nervous going into it after the atrocious Swedish movies but the guys in Hollywood know what they're doing.

If you haven't read the books the dialog can be a bit too fast but thats because they cram almost everything from the book into 2.5 hours. The actress who portrays Lisbeth is beyond perfect. As much as I love Natalie Portman (who declined the part) I honestly think that she couldn't not have done a better job than the girl they choose. The script is about 85% true to the book which is more than most book to movie attempts can say. Also, Erika Berger's character is the same as the book (which was NOT the case for the Swedish movies) and is PERFECTLY cast. Daniel Craig was, well, above average. I don't think it was his fault though. He has SO many lines that he has to say them as fast as he can and it's hard to add character when you're talking at a million miles per hours.

They stayed fairly faithful to the book almost the entire time. They did remove an entire key character and merge them with another which kind of bothered me but honestly, in retrospect they pulled it off quite well and should make things less confusing to new comers trying to understand the plot and listen to a million words per second at the same time.

My biggest complaint about the Swedish movies was the MISERABLE way they handled Lisbeth Salanders character. They cut key scenes which truly let you know who she is as a person. The new movie cuts the same scenes but merges them with others instead so that the character is properly developed. And honestly, unless you're a die hard fan of the books like I am you won't notice the missing scenes and will get a full understanding of who Lisbeth really is.

Final Verdict: I went into Avatar for the first time with low expectations and left the theater dazzled. I wasn't yet sure if it was the greatest movie I'd ever seen but one thing was for sure: It was truly a special experience. I went into The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo VERY much nervous that I was wasting my time. Yet again I left the theater dazzled.

9.9/10