General Discussion > Books and Literature

Books to film

(1/9) > >>

'Oma Tirea:
Discuss here books that have been made into a film...

Yayo:
The Boy in Striped Pyjamas. I read it in Year 8 for English. The book is far better.

Puvomun:
Lord of the Rings books and movies.

For years I refused to watch the movies. I have read the books to bits and the world in them was so perfect inside my head that I did not want to shatter that by someone else's interpretation. A friend then showed me a book of the Making Of, and the pictures in there were so good and equal to my interpretation that I did watch them.

May I quote: The book is far better. (Books in this case, even when the movies are done very well.)

Amaya:

--- Quote from: Puvomun on May 03, 2011, 01:35:58 am ---Lord of the Rings books and movies.

For years I refused to watch the movies. I have read the books to bits and the world in them was so perfect inside my head that I did not want to shatter that by someone else's interpretation. A friend then showed me a book of the Making Of, and the pictures in there were so good and equal to my interpretation that I did watch them.

May I quote: The book is far better. (Books in this case, even when the movies are done very well.)

--- End quote ---

Seconded.  I literally lived within the world of Middle Earth from age 11 until about 14 or 15, reading the books back to back over and over and over again, when I got to the end immediately starting at the beginning again because I didn't want to leave.  I did go to the movies right away, but only because I knew Legolas looked very much as I had imagined him.

'Itan Atxur:
Legolas kicked ass. I remember when the trailers first aired, I hadn't read the books yet (I had read The Hobbit). I started reading The Fellowship of the Ring but it's a totally different style than The Hobbit, so I read it rather slowly. I loved it, but I wasn't hooked until maybe halfway through. Then on the very day the movie came out, I decided I HAD to finish it before we went later that night, so I crammed 200-250 pages in before we left. I only failed to finish the last chapter.

I absolutely love the movies, but as is almost always the case, the books are better. Does anybody want them to maybe make a movie out of the battle for the shire? I was PISSED when SpoilerSaruman died in the second movie because I knew that meant they were cutting the true ending.

The best book to film transition is definitely "Holes". They very nearly followed the book word for word.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version