Books/authors you hate

Started by Lolet, May 29, 2011, 03:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lolet

Have you ever read a book that you absolutely regret reading? Or that you threw across the room?

My least favorite book has to be Harvesting the Heart by Jodie Picoult. The main character was so whiny and selfish. And then she blamed her child's abortion on God, which didn't make sense. Wasn't it her choice?

I have almost all of this woman's books and I don't know why. I must like abusing myself.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

I don't know that book you are referring to, but the main character sure sounds like a pain to read about! hrh :P

For my part, there are a few books that I would say I hate, and I believe I got to read all of them in school. The worst one ever for me would probably be My Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. I only remember that it was about an ape having psychic conversations with someone, and that it had totally bored and horrified me. Also (I know some people might disagree with this), I've really disliked Animal Farm by George Orwell. I know it is supposed to be a very clever book about an important topic, but I just couldn't bring myself to find anything interesting about it. Other books that I didn't like at all would be Life of Pi by Yann Martel (I can't even express how ridiculous I found it) and Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli.

I can't think of any others - it's rare for me to dislike a novel really strongly. :)

Lolet

Life of Pi is one of my favorite books XD. Simply for it's excellent defense of zoos. But yes, it can be rather silly at times.

Stargirl was just weird and it made me feel creepy when I read it.

wm.annis

I loathe the works of Robert Sawyer, a Canadian SF author.  In theory, he's writing about humans and aliens.  But all of his aliens talk and think like left-leaning, middle-class Canadians.  It's completely tedious.

Lolet

Quote from: wm.annis on May 29, 2011, 04:51:08 PM
I loathe the works of Robert Sawyer, a Canadian SF author.  In theory, he's writing about humans and aliens.  But all of his aliens talk and think like left-leaning, middle-class Canadians.  It's completely tedious.

That's pretty much how all Ms. Picoult's books go. Except without the aliens, and all the good characters killed.  :P

Amaya

Hmmm... can't say I've ever "hated" a book but there are certain authors whose writing styles I dislike.

One was a book called "The Hatchet" that I had to read in grade 6 or so.  Still remember the super-choppy sentences.  I think they were going for a "gritty" feel but it was just discordant and unpleasant.

The other author whose style I just can't stand is (don't kill me) Steven King.  It's just...blech.  I mean, sure, the guy has some interesting ideas but I can't make it past page three of any of his books.  I just...can't. :-\ ::) ::) ::)

Alyara Arati

I can't remember the author's name, but I loathed Giants In The Earth.

For the first three pages, nothing happens except that the grass says "tish-ah" repeatedly.  The book goes downhill from there.
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Lolet te Maticay Irana'ite Omaticaya on May 29, 2011, 04:43:50 PM
Life of Pi is one of my favorite books XD. Simply for it's excellent defense of zoos. But yes, it can be rather silly at times.

Stargirl was just weird and it made me feel creepy when I read it.

Defense of zoos? It's been such a long time since I've read it.. ;P I remember there was a tiger with Pi in the boat (I think), but that's all hrh. ;D And concerning Stargirl, yes, that's exactly the feeling that I keep from it. Not very awesome ahah. :)

Quote from: wm.annis on May 29, 2011, 04:51:08 PM

That name sounds familiar to me, but I don't think I've ever read any of his works. It sounds like he's writing a really.. particular type of SF! :o Normally I like that genre, but from your comments I don't think I'll try Sawyer. :)

Concerning Stephen King, I've personally never read anything by him. I know he's quite popular and I wonder if I'd actually like him! :O

Niwantaw

Stephen king does take a while to get to the damn point at times.

and there's the fact that if you read half of the dark tower series then lose the next book and find it again a month later you suddenly realised that you don't have the foggiest idea what is going on.
Only mostly AWOL.

Dreamlight

I really, really dislike Elizabeth Ann Scarborough.  The more I read her works the more I get the impression that she doesn't know her arse from her elbow.  Even when she's writing in cooperation with another author (particularly the Anne McCaffrey collaborations) I can identify some of the parts she influenced more, simply by something stupid or clueless in them.
http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

'Itan Atxur

I regret having read the third book in The Millennium series (The girl who kicked the hornets nest). It just doesn't hold up to the first too. I also wasn't a huge fan of the first book in the Gunslinger series by Stephen King. I haven't read any of the others.

I threw the second book in the Millennium series across the room (well, I seriously felt like it ;)), but that was because the book was almost TOO well written.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Puvomun

The Anubis Gate. Definitely. Very very difficult to understand, far too much detail of the smallest and entirely insignificant detail, and a storyline that was so convoluted that I considered taking notes to try and keep track. That is not a fun kind of read...
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Lolet

Prom, by Laurie Halse Anderson. I loved Speak, so I thought I would like this one. However, it was completely ruined by the fact that the girl kept saying "yo". Yo is a stupid word.

And she was boring and short with her boyfriend. Boys get the short end of the stick in YA novels, so I tend to take their side.

Txantslusam Skxawng

Lets say I hate book where the story develops real slowly, like some books you need to read like 125 pages, before anything happens.... And I really hate it because I am a slow reader, but when I read quickly... I go telegram-style and read every page under 30 seconds :P
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Eyawng te Klltepayu

I do not like the work of Cory Doctorow.
Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

Human No More

There have been books I didn't like much, although generally I forget and/or stop reading them, but nothing I've actually read that I hate, with the possible exception of Narnia in that I read a small part of the first book before I knew it was an allegory to mythology.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Human No More on June 01, 2011, 01:00:39 AM
There have been books I didn't like much, although generally I forget and/or stop reading them, but nothing I've actually read that I hate, with the possible exception of Narnia in that I read a small part of the first book before I knew it was an allegory to mythology.

Oh my god, really? I never realized that. :o

Regarding 'similar' literature, I disliked Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials : Northern Lights because after about 200 pages, I still had the feeling nothing was happening at all, and I got the feeling I was waisting my time. :) I know this trilogy is supposed to be very good and that I perhaps should have continued, but I just couldn't. ;)

Lolet

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on June 01, 2011, 08:39:51 AM
Quote from: Human No More on June 01, 2011, 01:00:39 AM

Oh my god, really? I never realized that. :o

Regarding 'similar' literature, I disliked Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials : Northern Lights because after about 200 pages, I still had the feeling nothing was happening at all, and I got the feeling I was waisting my time. :) I know this trilogy is supposed to be very good and that I perhaps should have continued, but I just couldn't. ;)

The Chronicles of Narnia are an allegory to Christianity. Aslan is Jesus, the witch is the devil, and the children are the humans.

I was never able to get into them much (tiny print), but I liked the movies.

Yayo

WHAT?! The chronicles of Narnia are brilliant! How can someone hate them? They're beautifully written and are candy for one's imagination. Is it because they're an allegory to Christianity?

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Ftxavanga Txe′lan on June 01, 2011, 08:39:51 AM
I disliked Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials : Northern Lights because after about 200 pages, I still had the feeling nothing was happening at all, and I got the feeling I was waisting my time. :) I know this trilogy is supposed to be very good and that I perhaps should have continued, but I just couldn't. ;)

You HAVE to finish it! I really don't like his writing style but his story is incredibly well crafted from start to finish. The best part is that unlike most fantasy, his stuff actually seems like it could be possible. There's just so much depth it's overwhelming. I'm currently finishing up my second read through of the entire trilogy.

Have you made it to (minor spoilers only)

Quote from: Yayo on June 01, 2011, 07:59:52 PM
WHAT?! The chronicles of Narnia are brilliant! How can someone hate them? They're beautifully written and are candy for one's imagination. Is it because they're an allegory to Christianity?

I've only read The lion, the witch, and the wardrobe but I second this none the less ;)

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE