General Discussion > Books and Literature

Books/authors you hate

(1/7) > >>

Lolet:
Have you ever read a book that you absolutely regret reading? Or that you threw across the room?

My least favorite book has to be Harvesting the Heart by Jodie Picoult. The main character was so whiny and selfish. And then she blamed her child's abortion on God, which didn't make sense. Wasn't it her choice?

I have almost all of this woman's books and I don't know why. I must like abusing myself.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan:
I don't know that book you are referring to, but the main character sure sounds like a pain to read about! hrh :P

For my part, there are a few books that I would say I hate, and I believe I got to read all of them in school. The worst one ever for me would probably be My Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. I only remember that it was about an ape having psychic conversations with someone, and that it had totally bored and horrified me. Also (I know some people might disagree with this), I've really disliked Animal Farm by George Orwell. I know it is supposed to be a very clever book about an important topic, but I just couldn't bring myself to find anything interesting about it. Other books that I didn't like at all would be Life of Pi by Yann Martel (I can't even express how ridiculous I found it) and Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli.

I can't think of any others - it's rare for me to dislike a novel really strongly. :)

Lolet:
Life of Pi is one of my favorite books XD. Simply for it's excellent defense of zoos. But yes, it can be rather silly at times.

Stargirl was just weird and it made me feel creepy when I read it.

wm.annis:
I loathe the works of Robert Sawyer, a Canadian SF author.  In theory, he's writing about humans and aliens.  But all of his aliens talk and think like left-leaning, middle-class Canadians.  It's completely tedious.

Lolet:

--- Quote from: wm.annis on May 29, 2011, 04:51:08 pm ---I loathe the works of Robert Sawyer, a Canadian SF author.  In theory, he's writing about humans and aliens.  But all of his aliens talk and think like left-leaning, middle-class Canadians.  It's completely tedious.

--- End quote ---

That's pretty much how all Ms. Picoult's books go. Except without the aliens, and all the good characters killed.  :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version