J. R. R. Tolkien

Started by moonbeam, August 14, 2013, 09:30:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moonbeam

I just wanted to make a topic about J. R. R. Tolkien. I have "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Hobbit" and they're really good. Anybody here ever read his books?

Click the dragons to give them love!

Blue Elf

Yes, I've read some. Hobbit and LOTR are "must read" books and I enjoyed them both very much. Just it is good idea to read Hobbit first, then LOTR, not vice versa. While first one is more for children, LOTR serie is for bigger readers.
I've read also another books like Silmarilion (which explain many things about history of Middle Earth) and some short stories.
also, when reading Tolkien, it is good to have his Bestiary at hand, you know who is who :)
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Ezy Ryder

I have access to The Hobbit (read maybe a half of it), Lord of The Rings trilogy, Silmarilion and Children of Hurin, in Polish. I also have The Hobbit in Russian; I want to try and start reading it soon, it's a similar language to Polish, so maybe I'll be able to learn some of it just by immersion... And today I bought the Lord of the Rings trilogy in Chinese, maybe I'll be able to read it around February...

Kamean

I've read LotR, Hobbit, Silmarillion, short stories, Tolkien's poetry and enjoyed them. :)
Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

archaic

I read The Hobbit first, then LOTR, back in my younger days, but I've not read his other books.

Hopes no one notices that I posted sacrilegious unfinished fan art photo chop in the gallery.

:-X ::)
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I have read (in this order) The Hobbit, LOTR trilogy, The Silmarilion. I enjoyed them all. But I threw them out at a point earlier in my life when I believed I had to rid my life of all fantasy. I have slowly re-acquired all of them, and am looking for a week off to read them again. I also have one or two of Tolkien's other works, and they, too are looking for time to be read.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Clarke

I read Fellowship and really liked it.

I also read a comic book version of the Hobbit, which probably made the whole easier to digest. Tolkien's descriptions go on and on.  :P

Mesireatu

Kaltxì ma frapo!
Oel kameie ayngati! Yes, I have read them several times.. Very, very good!! Start with "Bilbo", then "The lord of the ring". If I may brag, I'm a member of Forodrim, which is the Tolkien society in Stockholm, and there my name is Nimrodel. They too have a language Elen sillá numen omentielvo (A star shines when we'll meet) or just Mellon! (Hi!) Don't get bored with the first 50 pages, it will be much better!! Eywa ayngahu ulte Kìyevame
Varför minns jag alla dåliga vitsar, men glömmer alla infix i Na'vi?? ???
Why do I remember all bad jokes, but forget all the infixes in Na'vi?? :-[

Jag älskar dig, Sara L!!
Nga yawne lu oer, Sara L!!

Clarke

"Mellon" is "friend", isn't it? :P

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

archaic

Quote from: Il Sogno Viandante on October 17, 2013, 06:37:53 AM
Kaltxì ma frapo!
Oel kameie ayngati! Yesw, I have read them several times.. Very, very good!! Start with "Bilbo", then "The lord of the ring". If I may brag, I'm a member of Forodrim, which is the Tolkien society in Stockholm, and there my name is Nimrodel. They too have a language Elen sillá numen omentielvo (A star shines when we'll meet) or just Mellon! (Hi!) Don't get bored with the first 50 pages, it will be much better!! Eywa ayngahu ulte Kìyevame
Skip the first chapter, I cant remember how many pages, start at the party, when you're finished, go back and read the first chapter if you wish. It might have made a better appendix than first chapter. Imho.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Mesireatu

Well.. "Mellon" is both 'friend' and 'hello'.
Varför minns jag alla dåliga vitsar, men glömmer alla infix i Na'vi?? ???
Why do I remember all bad jokes, but forget all the infixes in Na'vi?? :-[

Jag älskar dig, Sara L!!
Nga yawne lu oer, Sara L!!