Last book you read

Started by Vawmataw, January 20, 2016, 04:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vawmataw

The thread has the same style as the thread Last Movie You Saw.
Just one thing: Given that there are some threads about book recommendations and all, I suggest to not start a detailed review or a discussion on the book. Create instead proper threads. However, you can still say it's good and all.

Last book I read: The shortened version of Les Misérables. Very nice book. The end is very poetic in a sense.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Blue Elf

Hmm, this thread looks like this one (except that this thread contains finished books, while that one is about books in progress). :)
Anyway - recently finished Alice in wonderland by Lewis Carroll. Nice, funny and illustrated!
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Dreamlight

I recently read Catmagic by Whitley Strieber (earlier editions credited to Strieber and Jonathan Barry, but the latter is ostensibly a fictitious person and Strieber the sole author).  Highly recommended, a potent synergy of beauty and horror.
http://www.reverbnation.com/inkubussukkubus
"Peace on Earth" was all it said.

EywaEvenge

GB: I have Read at last: lot of Books of Wattpad... thats very Intresting... and thats so nice people!!!
so you can Write own Books and you can show that the Community... when you will be a Writer thats a good Start...
i love it to write!

D: Ich habe zu letzt gelesen: vieles auf Wattpad... das ist sehr Interessant... und es gibt so nette Menschen!!!
Du kannst eigene Bücher schreiben und sie dann Veröffentlichen... wenn du mal ein Autor werden willst, ist das ein guter Start...
Ich liebe es zu schreiben!
Kirvamey ma Thmukan!

nga lu narì:
http://avatar-info.jimdo.com (German Website)

nga EywaEvenge

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Been slowly working my way through 'Annals of the Deep Sky" each time a new volume comes out. Am looking forward to a train trip next month when I might actually have time to read a book cover-to-cover.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

Jak Dawsiin

i just finished reading The Whistler, by John Grisham. it took awhile because of work travel and moving, but i finally finished it. good read and worthy addition to the John Grisham collection.

Ertew

Recent book Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
Overall 8/10 but I'm not very familiar with English literature.

I watched the movie then started with book. To my surprise, only key facts are the same in movie and book. Lot of other important details doesn't match between them. That's surprising for me. On the other hand, movie doesn't spoils the plot of the book and vice versa.

Two years ago: The Martian by Andy Weir.
9/10 but I read that book in Polish translation.

I read book before watching the movie, just to spend time waiting for movie. Book really spoils a lot of the movie plot. The Book was much better than movie and contain a lot of humor, especially black humor.

Ca. 3 years ago: Blackout by Marc Elsberg.
9/10, again I read that in Polish.
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

Blue Elf

Quote from: Ertew on April 18, 2018, 02:34:18 PM
Recent book Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.
Overall 8/10 but I'm not very familiar with English literature.

I watched the movie then started with book. To my surprise, only key facts are the same in movie and book. Lot of other important details doesn't match between them. That's surprising for me. On the other hand, movie doesn't spoils the plot of the book and vice versa.

Two years ago: The Martian by Andy Weir.
9/10 but I read that book in Polish translation.

I read book before watching the movie, just to spend time waiting for movie. Book really spoils a lot of the movie plot. The Book was much better than movie and contain a lot of humor, especially black humor.
No space for surprise - movies are mostly different from books and according my experience it is better to read book first.
I've seen Ready player on movie and liked it. Now waiting for book and I'm curious how different it will be.
I've also seen and read The Martian (in this sequence) and IMHO movie is good example of book transferred into movie right way. In this case it was no problem to read book after movie.
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Toliman

Quote from: Blue Elf on April 21, 2018, 01:57:18 PM
No space for surprise - movies are mostly different from books and according my experience it is better to read book first.
Yeah, I agree completely, I watched few movie then started with books too and I was surprised too. .

Rotobull cz

Quote from: Toliman on April 21, 2018, 02:28:57 PM
Quote from: Blue Elf on April 21, 2018, 01:57:18 PM
Yeah, I agree completely, I watched few movie then started with books too and I was surprised too. .

As we all know, book stories are mostly unadaptable, as in an exact scheme. If you tried to describe (retell) an impressive movie scene in a novel exactly in the way you see it in a film, it wouldn't be nearly as thrilling as in a motion capture and reversely. Also
storytelling in movies and books differ, therefore audience wouldn't understand many things in an '100%-exact' adaptation.
If you have read, for example, King's It, you know that the final plot wouldn't be as thrilling as in the novel and, most likely, no one would understand it. (Audience would consider the scene a mere hallucination probably.)
Enjoying chemistry, physics, mathematics, ecotoxicology, environtology, ecology, neurology, physiology, anatomy, Na'vi, Latin, German, French, Biblical Hebrew.

Toliman

One month ago, I reread 1984 by George Orwell

It's inderesting how this book can make such strange feelings (when you more deeply think about described reality) even when you read it already several times and know about it.

Ertew

The Hunt for Red October, Polish version.
7/10

I've watched the movie years ago and only remember that it was OK. Can't compare plot after so many years.
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

Rotobull cz

Flatland by Edwin Abbott Abbott

A great book, indeed...
Enjoying chemistry, physics, mathematics, ecotoxicology, environtology, ecology, neurology, physiology, anatomy, Na'vi, Latin, German, French, Biblical Hebrew.

Toliman

Facing the Flag and The Begum's Fortune by Jules Verne.

It's still my favourite...

Toliman

Recently I read several books writen by russian naval officers and sailors from Baltic Fleet of Imperial Russian Navy who were participants of Russo-Japanese War (1904-1905). They describe own experiences from long and hard voyage of Baltic Fleet from Europe to Far East during this war and total annihilation of their fleet in the Battle of Tsushima (27-28 May 1905).

Tsushima: grave of a floating city by Alexey Novikov-Priboy
From Libau to Tsushima; a narrative of the voyage of Admiral Rojdestvensky's fleet to eastern seas by Eugene S. Politovsky.
Rasplata (The Reckoning): Voyage of Admiral Rojdestvensky's fleet by Vladimir Ivanovich Semenov
Battle of Tsushima and The price of blood by Vladimir Ivanovich Semenov
Across three oceans by Vladimir S. Kravchenko
On battleship Oryol at battle of Tsushima by Vladimir P. Kostenko
Death of cruiser Svetlana by A. D. Vyrubov

It was quite interesting reading, interesting sight into reality of old Imperial Russia and one chapter of this almost forgotten war.

Rotobull cz

The Illustrated A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

A remarkably well written and elaborated piece.

Toliman

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking - yeah, nice book. I read it several times many years ago and I always enjoyed it :)

Rotobull cz

Quote from: Toliman on September 26, 2019, 11:42:16 AM
A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking - yeah, nice book. I read it several times many years ago and I always enjoyed it :)

Yes, it is definitely worth rereading.  :)

Toliman

Also, when we discuss favourite books, I very like reread several books from Jules Verne :).

Eltusiyu

Wasteland by Terry Goodkind

My favourite Author is a writing a sequel story to my favourite saga - the Sword of Truth. I am so happy to visit the D'Haran Empire once more :D

Kxangangang! - Oeyä Pìlok leNa'vi

Previously called Kxrekorikus