Role Models in Literature

Started by Amaya, May 12, 2011, 11:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amaya

So this thought came up from a discussion in another topic, and rather than take that one waaaaay off-course I though I'd start this little discussion:

Who are your role models, and I'm not talking about the flesh-and-blood people here, but in books you have read, fiction (most preferably) or non-fiction, who are the characters you would most say acted as your role models growing up?

For myself, my greatest role model on how to become a strong, independent woman (besides the strong, independent women in my familiy, of course) was Polgara, of David Eddings' Belgariad and Mallorean series.  She always deals with any situation calmly and without losing her cool, whether she's dumping a jug of water over her soused father's head or fighting off enemies in a sorcerous duel, or baking, or tending Garion's scraped knee or his hurt pride, she's always just so...steady.  Even if it's likely that she's got anger or hurt, she doesn't let it show and deals with it later when it's appropriate to do so.  She doesn't depend on any of the men in her life to tell her what to do, or to defend her, but at the same time, she doesn't keep them at a distance and refuse their help...

Anyway, I could ramble on and on forever, but I want to hear everyone else's role models!

'Itan Atxur

I'm gonna have to read this series ^^^ You've mentioned it a few times now  ;D

As for my role model: Aragorn (aka: Strider). Hands down. I've realized over time that many things I do on a daily basis are directly influenced by him be it the way I treat others or how I approach situations. Even some simple things such as the way I move have been influenced slightly.

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Amaya

LOL it's worth reading ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, I can see where, as a guy, Strider would be a good influence.  Honestly, Tolkien really doesn't do his female characters enough justice for any of them to stand up as real role models, although I suppose Eowyn might be one...

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Amaya on May 12, 2011, 11:28:52 PM
LOL it's worth reading ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, I can see where, as a guy, Strider would be a good influence.  Honestly, Tolkien really doesn't do his female characters enough justice for any of them to stand up as real role models, although I suppose Eowyn might be one...

What about Arwen?!? I can see Eowyn being a decent role model but (forgive my blasphemy) I felt her character could have been written better.

Amaya

Arwen from the movies maybe.  Arwen from the books?  She hardly existed!

It was a different age, though, and a different expectation of the roles of women, so it doesn't really bother me.

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Amaya on May 12, 2011, 11:32:49 PM
Arwen from the movies maybe.  Arwen from the books?  She hardly existed!

It was a different age, though, and a different expectation of the roles of women, so it doesn't really bother me.

Yeah, the book character and the movie character have kind of blended together for me at this point. It's been way too long since I read the series.

If I can pick a second role model (and I'm being serious here): Neville Longbottom.

Alyara Arati

When I was growing up, I'd have to say Madeleine L'Engle's Meg Murray from A Wrinkle In Time, and the others in the series.  In being strong for her father and little brother, she finds the strength to grow up a bit and grow more comfortable in her own skin.

Polgara, of course, and I always thought that if you could take Eowyn and Arwen and shake them up in a bag together, you'd get a really extraordinary woman.
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

'Itan Atxur

Quote from: Alyara Arati on May 12, 2011, 11:38:18 PM
When I was growing up, I'd have to say Madeleine L'Engle's Meg Murray from A Wrinkle In Time, and the others in the series.  In being strong for her father and little brother, she finds the strength to grow up a bit and grow more comfortable in her own skin.

Polgara, of course, and I always thought that if you could take Eowyn and Arwen and shake them up in a bag together, you'd get a really extraordinary woman.

I think if ANY human being of ANY gender were that awesome the world would explode.

Alyara Arati

Quote from: 'Itan Atxur on May 12, 2011, 11:42:29 PM
When I was growing up, I'd have to say Madeleine L'Engle's Meg Murray from A Wrinkle In Time, and the others in the series.  In being strong for her father and little brother, she finds the strength to grow up a bit and grow more comfortable in her own skin.

I think if ANY human being of ANY gender were that awesome the world would explode.

She'd have to be at least a Wizard then.  Have you read the Silmarillion?  I always thought it was short-sighted of Tolkien to make all the Wizards old men; didn't any female Maya feel the need to go back into the world and help out?

Edit: to bring some on-topicness to my post, again from my childhood, Nancy Drew (although looking back on her, I'd do the bag thing again with Nancy, George, and Bess).
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

'Itan Atxur

I have not. I kind of want to, but I've heard as much bad about it as I have good.

Anyways, this topic is only nine posts old and I've already managed to take it off topic  :-[ I shall end my evil off topic ways by saying good night for now :)

Amaya

And then if you threw in Galadriel, well...  I expect they/she/the ONE would simply implode from the awesome and become a singularity

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Quote from: Amaya on May 12, 2011, 11:58:55 PM

And then if you threw in Galadriel, well...  I expect they/she/the ONE would simply implode from the awesome and become a singularity

For me, Éowyn alone is an amazing role model in the books. :) She has such strength and courage! But my perfect role model would personally be a mix of Samwise Gamgee (because he's so loyal, gentle, valiant and optimistic) and Galadriel - a pure goddess in my mind. :D Now Éowyn + Arwen + Galadriel = the biggest explosion ever. 0_0 :D

I have to admit Strider is also incredibly inspiring, ma 'Itan Atxur. :3 I love Faramir (*in the books*) as well, and also Beleg Cúthalion for his devotion and incredible skills. :D In fact, I realize Tolkien provided an astonishing amount of great characters, and many of those have influenced me a lot. :)

Other than that, I like Hermione Granger and Lisbeth Salander! :D 

'Itan Atxur

Omg i love lisbeth salander.
. Also Samwise is my favorite character in the series.