My writing. Hilda the wicked witch.

Started by Puvomun, May 03, 2011, 12:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puvomun

Yes. Breaking news. I write, and not only avatar fanfiction.

My favourite character is 7 stories long already, with an 8th in the making. I am talking about Hilda the Wicked Witch.

The first book introduces Hilda as she gets thrown into our world through a freak accident involving magic and a special book. Being a real witch, and not a gentle and cute one, she has to put up quite a fight to get back to fairy tale land.

Here is a small piece from chapter 7, when Hilda just got a biker gang in trouble.

Hilda hung her broom in the air. It was showing off, she knew, but these people seemed to need that. She planted her feet firmly on the ground and placed her hands on her hips. "I told you to stop." She made it sound as an accusation.

Quote"Get us out of this s***, you b****," was the first thing Bubba could think of as a greeting.

"Witch," Hilda corrected him.

"What?"

"Witch. I am a witch. Also a b****, I grant you that, but that comes in the second place. Hmmm... Perhaps a bit closer than that. But that's not why I am here. I want my necklace back."

"First get us out of this f***' muck, b**** witch," Bubba relayed the feelings of his companions and himself to her.

"The necklace. It is around the neck of your unworthy woman." Hilda pointed at the treasure, which unlocked itself and floated to its rightful owner. Without her having to lift another finger, the necklace settled itself around her neck. The weight of it comforted her. Things would be well now. She could go home and leave this asylum.

If you like fantasy, laughing and witches, Hilda might be for you.

(start of shameless plug)

Hilda the Wicked Witch is available for Kindle at Amazon.com (and also .co.uk and .de), and in a wide variety of ebook formats at Smashword.com.

On Smashwords the first 5 books are available already (I only just discovered how to publish on Amazon).

The Hilda books available so far are:
1. Hilda the Wicked Witch
2. Hilda - Snow White Revisited
3. Hilda - The Challenge
4. Hilda and Zelda
5. Hilda - Cats

(end of shameless plug)

As you may be able to tell from the *** that the forum's decency filter sticks in the quoted text, Hilda is not a book for small children.
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Yayo

Yayo on facebook
Skxaypxe: callofdoty95

'Itan Atxur

I will be giving it a shot as soon as I finish "His Dark Materials".

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Puvomun

Comedic is what I aimed for. Hilda was "born" out of need. A few friends and I were going to do a "writing competition", to get a 20,000 word story done in 2 weeks. That is fun. The challenge was "we start tomorrow", and I heard that in the evening. So I had to think up a good subject to write about in a matter of a few hours, and this became Hilda. That was June 2009.

And Hilda now has fans all over the world, she even made it to Facebook  :-X

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Yayo

How any fans do you actually have Paul? ???
I didn't realise it was that popular! Congratulations!

Yayo on facebook

'Itan Atxur

Well, make that another potential fan in New Hampshire :)

Yayo

Yayo on facebook

Puvomun

Quote from: Yayo. on May 03, 2011, 12:29:44 AM
How any fans do you actually have Paul? ???
I didn't realise it was that popular! Congratulations!

Thank you. I have no exact numbers, but the 5 stories in total have been downloaded around 7500 times now (numbers of last month), and I received emails from over 100 different people on the books, expressing their feelings. And so far all of those were positive. ;)

Mail-writing fans even include Korea, Australia and Panama.

Last week I found a very nice review on "Hilda - Cats":

I just finished the latest Hilda book. I thoroughly enjoyed all of them and very much appreciate the authors hard work on these stories. They are well written with entertaining story lines, I would like to see more of the retelling of classic fairy tales by the way! In a few places some of the wording sounds a little strange to me but thats because I m from Kentucky in the US. Thank you Mr. Kater and I hope to read more soon!

This really made me smile. Reviews are very rare, so getting one is a treat. (And the reference to Snow White revisited made me grin.)

And this one threw entirely (on the same book):

Hurray Hilda's back. I'd better get to reading. Gave 5 stars based on previous readings

Someone giving 5 out of 5 stars before reading the book??

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Yayo

Yayo on facebook

'Itan Atxur

We've got our very own forum celebrity! ;D ;)

Puvomun

Quote from: Yayo. on May 03, 2011, 01:04:52 AM
WOW! You're famous! :D

Hilda's famous. A friend from Bristol who also adores her books, offered to give Hilda a face. I told her about Hilda's character and how I see the witch. My friend dressed herself as witchy as she could, took a picture of herself that way and then painted Hilda accordingly.

Meet Hilda:

I am very proud of that painting.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Yayo

Wow! What's wrong with her fifth finger? ???

Yayo on facebook

Puvomun

Quote from: Yayo. on May 03, 2011, 01:40:54 AM
Wow! What's wrong with her fifth finger? ???
Nothing. It's meant to be bent, but it did come out a bit strange. (My friend is not a professional artist, she usually does landscapes. People are difficult.)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Yayo

Ah. Apart from this, it's really good.

Yayo on facebook

'Itan Atxur

Definitely an awesome pic. Love the hair.

Alyara Arati

Quote from: Puvomun on May 03, 2011, 01:39:31 AM
Quote from: Yayo. on May 03, 2011, 01:04:52 AM
WOW! You're famous! :D

Meet Hilda:

Just from the brief amount I've heard about Hilda, this is perfect!
Learn how to see.  Realize that everything connects to everything else.
~ Leonardo da Vinci

Puvomun

Quote from: Alyara Arati on May 04, 2011, 01:01:15 AM
Quote from: Puvomun on May 03, 2011, 01:39:31 AM

Just from the brief amount I've heard about Hilda, this is perfect!

Thank you. I agree. :)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Puvomun

Ma oeyä Eywa.

I just checked on Amazon.com and amazon.co.uk, where since a month my first Hilda book is available (for free of course).

It has been downloaded over 35,000 times!!  :o

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

Incredible! Seykxel sì nitram, ma 'eylan! :D

I just finished the book I was currently reading, so I think I'll begin with your work soon. :)