Looking for something from a long time ago...

Started by Amaya, May 17, 2011, 08:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amaya

So I figured I'd pick the community's collective brain with this one: ::)

There is a series - a trilogy - of books I read as a child that I've always wanted to find again, the nly trouble is I don't remember their full titles.  I'll give you all what I know, and we'll see what comes of it.

Okay, I would have read these books somewhere between the ages of ten and twelve, so they had to exist some time before 1987.  The titles were something like "the bronze ____", "the silver ____" and "the gold(en?) ___" and the theme of the stories was about a girl trying to fit in, but also about interdimensional travel.  Somehow this girl was contacted by/abducted by/accidentally picked up by creatures from the fourth dimension.  These creatures had another eye and eventually some of them/one of them befriended her.  At some point she learned how to travel into the fourth dimnsion on her own, but there was a danger with going back and forth as if you didn't do it carefully enough you could get "flipped" and look like a mirror image of yourself.  This wasn't always obvious as the mind tricks you into seeing what it expects, but it could be detected because things that should taste good tasted bad and vice versa.  There was also a boy who was a friend of the main protagonist who was able to travel to the fourth dimension as well

ANYWAY, that's basically all I can remember about the books.  Probably you all think I'm insane, but I'd really like to own them, as when I first read them they really opened my eyes to the vastness of realities.  Unfortunately I had only borrowed them from the library.  This is why I no longer frequent libraries, to often you want to go back and read something again but it's gone.

Hope you can all help me somehow!

Ftxavanga Txe′lan

I didn't read the books you are referring to and don't know them at all, but I made a Google research and came up with The Sorcery Hall Trilogy. The three volumes are called The Bronze King, The Silver Glove and The Golden Thread, which pretty much fits your description. :D I hope it if is what you were searching for! :) Here's a summary of the story:

QuoteSuzy McKee Charnas' Sorcery Hall trilogy tells the story of Valentine (Val) Marsh, a fourteen-year-old who possesses magical ability. The ability to use magic runs in Val's family: Her grandmother, known as Granny Gran, possesses magical powers. Val's mother, Laura, chooses not to develop her ability. In this series, Val becomes involved with Sorcery Hall, an alliance of wizards dedicated to defending worlds from evil.