What are you currently reading?

Started by Yayo, April 30, 2011, 07:17:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oeri Tirea Ke Lu Mawey

Just finished A Clash of Kings from the A Song of Ice and Fire series. Taking a break before starting A Storm of Swords
I am the sea on a moonless night
Calling, falling, slipping tides
I am the leaky dripping pipes
The endless aching drops of light

I am the raindrop falling down
Always longing for the deeper ground
I am the broken, breaking seas
Even my blood finds ways to bleed

Even the rivers ways to run
Even the rain to reach the sun
Even my thirsty streams
Even in my dreams

I AM RESTLESS!

Syulang

Clockwork Prince, from the Infernal Devices series, by Cassandra Clare.
Oel ayngati kameie ma oeyä aysmukan sì aysmuke ulte Eywa ayngahu livu

munea kifkey, 'awa soaia

Stranger Come Knocking

"The Mysterious Benedict Society and the Perilous Journey"

Book #2 of The Mysterious Benedict Society

I read the first one in elementary school, then there was a pause between the books and after that I have never been able to re-find them.  I am so happy. :D
I will not die for less
I dug my grave in this
Will I go before I fall
Or live to slight the odds?

These are my books.  You should check it out.  Speculative sci-fi murder mystery historical fiction.

Puvomun

* Gods of Atlantis (difficult read, moves very slowly and has an avalanche of information on each page)
* The Hunger Games (better than I had expected)
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Blue Elf

Currently reading the fourth book of Song of Ice and Fire serie (Feast for Crows), but not too fast. It is my first book in electronic form, but i must say, reading of paper books is more pleasant
Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Reykoveyzä te Werufalä Haflak'ite

reading the return of the native by thomas hardy while waiting for the second game of thrones book to arrive. Fantastic series  ;D and i have you guys to thank for making me aware of it
Irayo, ma frapo, ma oeyä smuke sì ma oeyä smukan.
Vivar 'ivong Na'vi! Eywa ayngahu!

*if i make a mistake in any of my Na'vi, please correct me :)

Seze Mune

Quote from: Blue Elf on June 11, 2012, 03:05:51 PM
Currently reading the fourth book of Song of Ice and Fire serie (Feast for Crows), but not too fast. It is my first book in electronic form, but i must say, reading of paper books is more pleasant

Reading The Unknown Reality, and I agree with Blue Elf.  Paper books seem to engage the senses more than electronic books do. 

Blue Elf

Oe lu skxawng skxakep. Slä oe nerume mi.
"Oe tasyätxaw ulte koren za'u oehu" (Limonádový Joe)

Kekerusey

On my Kindle :)

David Drake's "Northworld Trilogy"

Last book I read was "Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. It was shortlisted for the 2005 Booker Prize ... IMO it didn't deserve it!

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

War of the Twins

its a dragonlance book, one of many.
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

Puvomun

A Princess of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs (a re-read of course)

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Plumps

Palo Alto ... a short story collection by the ever-talented James Franco

Kekerusey

Quote from: Puvomun on September 24, 2012, 10:21:26 AMA Princess of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs (a re-read of course)

Do you really like Burroughs?

I thought I did and one of the first things I did when I got my kindle was download as many of his books as I could from Project Gutenberg and get as many of the Burroughs books I could and naturally started in on "A Princess Of Mars" ... I remember loving it when I was younger.

I enjoyed it though I started to note a kind of repetitive nature to the tale. I started in on the second, "Gods Of Mars", and realized that he was, with scenario variations, telling the same tale as the first book. Not one to give up I continued on and into the tale of his son and noted the same thing. I even tried the first of his Pelucidar series and again ... the same. I stopped reading them.

So that's why I ask you the question as I've come to the conclusion that, whilst it was (I suppose) imaginative for it's time and perhaps (in some "boys own/adventure weekly" way) reasonably written, Burroughs didn't really seem able to write anything other than the one basic story.

Keke

Puvomun

Quote from: Kekerusey on September 25, 2012, 09:26:05 AM
Quote from: Puvomun on September 24, 2012, 10:21:26 AMA Princess of Mars, by Edgar Rice Burroughs (a re-read of course)

Do you really like Burroughs?

I like some of his Tarzan stories, and this one. Yes, the follow-ups are more of the same, that is why I don't intend to re-read those. But this one, the first one, is just very good. Indeed - for the time they were written these books were ground-breaking.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

'Itan Atxur

That's my problem with Edgar Rice Burroughs books. I can't get past the "for their time" part. Too stuck in the present.

Currently rereading "The Girl who Played with Fire" for the 10 trillionth time. No, really... 10,000,000,000,000. I counted...

Check out more from my DeviantArt page HERE

Tìtstewan

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Clarke

Consider Phlebas. Iain M Banks is awesome.  ;D

Puvomun

Done with A Princess of Mars. I think it is an amazing book and like it a lot better than the film John Carter (which as a film is very good).

I now started The Source of Lightning, by Donna K. Fitch. A steampunk novel.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Kekerusey

"1632" by Eric Flint.

It's a series (dunno if it started off with that aim) but it's shaping up to be quite brilliant. You can get the first book ("1632") free as a ebook from Baen ebooks (quite legal and both 1632 & 1633 and the first two links in the lefthand column)

Keke

Aytanin Marali

Just finished The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan, third book in the Heroes of Olympus series.  The first two are The Lost Hero and Son of Neptune.  Before starting this series I recommend you read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series (The Lightening Thief, Sea of Monsters, Titan's Curse, Battle of the Labyrinth, and The Last Olympian) or you will be very confused.  The books are aimed for middle schoolers and young high schoolers but anyone into ancient Greek mythology will love them. It's about demigods, children of the Greek gods, and their lives in Modern Amer

Now I'm reading (again) The Protector's War by S. M. Stirling, book two in what I think they're calling the Emberverse series.  (No idea why though.)  Book one is Dies the Fire-fantastic!  Intended for adults or teenagers with a high reading level.  Dies the Fire is about a few people, pilot Mike Havel and the Larsson family and Bard Juniper Mackenzie, her daughter Eilir, pub owner Dennis, and Juniper's Wiccan coven the Singing Moon. 

On March 17th, 1998 at 7:00 PM, there is a world wide flash of blinding light and horrible pain that ends as suddenly as it begins.  In seconds, every car, train, and motorcycle has crashed and every boat and submarine grinds to a halt.  A minute or so later, every plane in the sky, including Mike Havel's, falls to earth.  Within hours there is mass hysteria, pillaging, looting, crime.  In days panic.  In months, billions die of plague from sewer systems that no longer work, starvation, or are eaten by others.  The Change has happened though no one knows why, who did it, or how to survive.  Because with the Change came the loss of electricity, gun powder, and modern day life.  Now everyone must find out how to survive medieval style, with a dangerous lunatic up in Portland bent on conquest and blood-the Protector, Norman Arminger. 

The books detail the Change (Dies the Fire), different groups of people fighting the Portland Protective Association (The Protector's War, A Meeting in Covallis) and then go on to the next generation, following the children of the first three books heroes in a strange prophecy made about one child in Dies the Fire.  A prophecy to find and claim the Sword of the Lady on Nantucket Island, long rumored to have been the source of the Change.  New adversaries include the CUT and it's Unholy Prophet.  The child of the prophecy and his friends must unite their people to fight the evil prophet and his allies.  I'm eagerly awaiting the next installation in paperback!

Series includes (so far) Dies the Fire, The Protector's War, A Meeting in Corvallis, The Sunrise Lands, The Scourge of God, The Sword of the Lady, The High King of Montival, and just released, The Tears of the Sun.  This series contains strong language, adult situations, and an apocalypse.  Mature readers only.  Fantastic series though.
Went learnnavi.org.  Clicked on vocabulary.  Typed moron in search box to learn how to spell skxawng.  Found two Na'vi words for moron.  Life complete.  ;D