is your computer safe or not by the DNS virus? check out here

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, July 08, 2012, 04:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

The 'DNS Changer' virus will cause more than 350,000 computers to lose web access tomorrow, the FBI has claimed.

DNS Changer was a virus run by an Estonian crime ring until authorities and the American FBI broke it up in November. At its peak it infected more than 500,000 PCs and Macs.
The virus, first used in 2007, hijacked users' computers without their knowledge to generate fraudulent clicks on adverts. Although its only obvious effects were to slightly slow internet connections and to disable antivirus software, it also redirected computers to the fraudsters' servers.
Turning that server off would have left users without any web access, so the FBI temporarily replaced it with a site to check whether visiting computers had the virus.

so go to this link to check it out:
http://dns-ok.us

if you get green, your computer are safe, and you have nothing to worry
if you get red, you will have a very big problem tomorrow, you will lose internet access, and it is very difficult to fix it

Human No More

No, it's not 'very difficult to fix', there are dozens of removal tools around.

...and of course, nothing happens despite hype :P
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Ningey

Things would have been even less a problem if people would keep in mind some safety precautions when roaming the 'Net, though.
Far too many people still surf with full root privileges (i. e. an admin account, which should only be used for administrative purposes and nothing else!) instead of creating an unprivileged account for this purpose. Working on an unprivileged account is common practice on Linux and other Unixes, but it appears as if far too many people who are using Windoze (correct me if I'm mistaken here) are not, thereby inviting trouble in the first place.

My guess is that this problem wouldn't have been that widespread if this precaution measure had been taken. Without root privileges the only damage malware could do is destroying data or compromising that particular user, and tampering with the system would have become more difficult by a magnitude or so (especially if the system is kept up to date to make exploitation of vulnerabilities even more difficult).

"Sawtute ke tsun nivume - fo ke kerame!"
-- Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

"There are two things that are infinite: Human stupidity and the universe. However, I'm not yet sure about the universe."
-- Albert Einstein

"He who gives up freedom for security deserves neither and loses both."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Vawmataw

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on July 08, 2012, 04:39:01 PM
The 'DNS Changer' virus will cause more than 350,000 computers to lose web access tomorrow, the FBI has claimed.

DNS Changer was a virus run by an Estonian crime ring until authorities and the American FBI broke it up in November. At its peak it infected more than 500,000 PCs and Macs.
The virus, first used in 2007, hijacked users' computers without their knowledge to generate fraudulent clicks on adverts. Although its only obvious effects were to slightly slow internet connections and to disable antivirus software, it also redirected computers to the fraudsters' servers.
Turning that server off would have left users without any web access, so the FBI temporarily replaced it with a site to check whether visiting computers had the virus.

so go to this link to check it out:
http://dns-ok.us

if you get green, your computer are safe, and you have nothing to worry
if you get red, you will have a very big problem tomorrow, you will lose internet access, and it is very difficult to fix it
I was safe.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Kamean on July 22, 2012, 01:59:37 PM
Oe nìteng :)

it's too late now, the server has been shut down 2 weeks ago
it was only they who had this type of DNS-sever who lost it

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.