My Computer Can't Boot from Hard Drives. Joy.

Started by guest2859, June 19, 2011, 09:34:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bommel

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on June 23, 2011, 09:07:43 AM
Which drivers are you using? I'd be very surprised if there even is "real" W7 drivers for that card..
yes, AFAIK Ati/AMD doesn't support older cards on Windows 7 (afaik all that doesn't support at least DirectX 10 which is everything below Radeon HD2xxx)

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: bommel on June 23, 2011, 12:59:09 PM
Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on June 23, 2011, 09:07:43 AM
Which drivers are you using? I'd be very surprised if there even is "real" W7 drivers for that card..
yes, AFAIK Ati/AMD doesn't support older cards on Windows 7 (afaik all that doesn't support at least DirectX 10 which is everything below Radeon HD2xxx)

Yeah, and the 9250 is very old. I remember that my first PC had an 9600.

guest2859

I'm using the ATI Diamond Radeon driver that came on the disc. The disc is designed for XP, but since it was built after 2008, it added a "Drivers" directory on the disc to unload modern drivers. They are coded to go under the VGA Standard on-board graphics driver, so you just make Windows update the driver from that file and it activates the video card. But that doesn't do anything, I had to set up the display to come from the install and then switch around the monitor cable.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Naruga Kuruga on June 23, 2011, 05:26:10 PM
I'm using the ATI Diamond Radeon driver that came on the disc. The disc is designed for XP, but since it was built after 2008, it added a "Drivers" directory on the disc to unload modern drivers. They are coded to go under the VGA Standard on-board graphics driver, so you just make Windows update the driver from that file and it activates the video card. But that doesn't do anything, I had to set up the display to come from the install and then switch around the monitor cable.

There you have your problem. There is a significant difference in the system core between XP and Vista/7, that method usually works between Vista and 7 becasue it's the same core but I'm surprised that it's even possible to install those drivers.

Anyway, what GPU did you have before?

guest2859

In regards to what I just read on Google, my computer only had the standard VGA slot built into the motherboard, so it couldn't do 3D, but the ATI card is just that, except with 3D and no Aero.

-----Edit-----

And to everyone's unsurprising expectancy, Flash Pro refused to re-install.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

What do you need 3D for? I would be surprised if the standard VGA drivers do 3D and I'm afraid your were to cheap with that GPU.

guest2859

I had a stack of games that my mom's computer couldn't run after her's crashed and XP was re-installed.

I got this computer with Ubuntu 10.10 installed for $50, ran great. Put Windows on it, and tried to install the games, but my computer would deny it. Then there was my addiction to Doom Builder, which I'm constantly on now. So basically just for recreational use.