My PC died!

Started by BlueHusky2154, March 27, 2017, 01:02:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueHusky2154

Today, the unthinkable happened.
I got my first computer in 2005. Windows XP, Intel Pentium 4 3GHz, 1GB DDR2 RAM, 120 GB HDD. Added a NVIDIA GeForce 750 Ti in 2015.
I went to boot it up....and nothing. I made sure I had AC power, and my power supply is new. I looked inside the case, and there's corrosion ALL OVER the motherboard. Graphics card is fine.
I picked out some new parts for a budget gaming rig.

Intel Core i3-6100 3M 3.7 GHz
MSI B150 ATX gaming motherboard
8 GB 2133 MHz DDR4 RAM
DIYPC Zondda-B Black ATX Mid Tower case with blue LED case fans
SanDisk 120 GB SSD

Grand Total: $350 USD.

My 18th birthday is a week from tomorrow, and my grandmother said the parts would be my big birthday gift.  :)
That's the silver lining.

Avatar, Furry, Amateur Astronomy, IT, PC gaming, Minecraft, Fortnite, music.
My life summarized.
:ikran: 8)

Tirea Aean

Yewla.

At least you can rebuild, maybe even a somewhat nicer rig :)

via LG-K550 (Tapatalk)

Tìtstewan

Yeah, that's annoying when a PC dies. But a new one is apparently in planning. :)

I still have an Intel i7-2600 CPU somewhere...

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

BlueHusky2154

Yes, I am currently planning a rebuild. I'm adding the new case for some cosmetic effects. The blue LEDs in the case will really show that the build was put together by an Avatard like me. Even with me sticking with Intel shows the same thing.
My life summarized.

Vawmataw

I think your computer had a respectable age. 12 years, that's a lot.

QuoteGrand Total: $350 USD
Way better than a brand new $1000 tower.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

BlueHusky2154

Quote from: Vawmataw on March 28, 2017, 04:12:46 PM

QuoteGrand Total: $350 USD
Way better than a brand new $1000 tower.
Yeah. It died with honor. 12 years of service, starting with Roller Coaster Tycoon and ending with Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.
Salvaged parts are usable. Currently waiting on new MSI motherboard, Intel Core i3-6100 6th gen 3.7 Ghz, 8GB of RAM, and a new case with blue LEDs to come in the mail.
Also, I need an honorary name for the new build. I'm thinking "The PC of Souls," because of the Avatar-esqe blue glow of the new case.
The great-great-great-grandfather of modern gaming, my respectable Nintendo Entertainment System, will also be there to witness the first boot-up of the new build.
My life summarized.

Toliman

O.o
yeah, 12 years is really a lot and respectable age.

BlueHusky2154

Quote from: Toliman on March 29, 2017, 04:04:53 AM
O.o
yeah, 12 years is really a lot and respectable age.
I pushed the thing to its limits. With only 1 gigabyte of DDR2 RAM and an Intel Pentium 4, I managed to get even newer games like Minecraft (which wants 4 GB of RAM) to run at a decent framerate. I also got 20 FPS out of Unigine Valley Benchmark at maximum settings.
My life summarized.

Rotobull cz

And you'll put together a new PC from components?
Enjoying chemistry, physics, mathematics, ecotoxicology, environtology, ecology, neurology, physiology, anatomy, Na'vi, Latin, German, French, Biblical Hebrew.

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I'd stick an at least 1 TB spinning disk in there as well. Spinning disk storage is cheap right now, and doesn't 'wear out' the same way an SSD does.

What was corroded on your old MB? Water cooling? Capacitors? (Any capacitors bulging/ruptured?)

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

BlueHusky2154

Quote from: Rotobull cz on March 30, 2017, 03:20:20 PM
Yep. My power supply and graphics card are still usable.

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 31, 2017, 04:11:27 PM
I'd stick an at least 1 TB spinning disk in there as well. Spinning disk storage is cheap right now, and doesn't 'wear out' the same way an SSD does.

What was corroded on your old MB? Water cooling? Capacitors? (Any capacitors bulging/ruptured?)
I plan on it. The corroded parts were the tiny soldered connections. A few capacitors were also bulging, and one was leaking.
My life summarized.

Ertew

Ertew going to basement and checking his gaming computers.

• TOSHIBA 310CDT (Pentium MMX, 64MB, 2GB) - broken RTC battery and mouse buttons. Everything else looks intact, even battery and hdd. NSA - come hack me  :P
  • DELL Latitude CPi A366XT (Pentium2, 256MB, 40GB) - missing battery, broken RTC battery, broken speakers, missing CD (who cares, I prefer FDD). All else - working perfect, even 99/366Mhz switch.
  • COMPAQ Armada 1700 (Pentium 2 300Mhz, 160MB, 60GB, build-in PSU and best speakers ever seen in laptop) - gone  :o
Yep. Gaming machines, for games from my childhood. Who want LAN party in DOS environment?

And younger machines:

• F-S Amilo L6820 (Celeron P4 2Ghz, 2GB, 60GB) - mobo dead, again. I not gonna resurrect it, third time.
  • hp SFF D530 (P4 1.6Ghz or sth, 2GB, missing HDD) - not tested, should still work but to heavy to bring it home.
  • Fujitsu Stylistic ST5111 (C2D U7600, 3GB, 120GB) - almost new + 3 spare batteries. Only screen is scratched, but that's normal for tablets. 
  • DELL Latitude D530 (C2D T7250, 1GB, 320GB) - probably the best portable machine I have. Need to put SSD here.
TEAgaming2154, if You like P4 architecture, I can give You my hp SFF D530 or bare mobo. Shipping may be the only problem.
Any errors in spelling, tact or fact are transmission errors.

Hi! I'm a signature virus. Copy me into your signature to help me spread.

archaic

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on April 02, 2017, 09:58:04 PM
Quote from: Rotobull cz on March 30, 2017, 03:20:20 PM
Yep. My power supply and graphics card are still usable.

Quote from: `Eylan Ayfalulukanä on March 31, 2017, 04:11:27 PM

I plan on it. The corroded parts were the tiny soldered connections. A few capacitors were also bulging, and one was leaking.
OK, so there are techniques to remove corrosion from PCBs and dead/dying capacitors can be changed (maybe for better quality ones).

However, it's rarely worth the hassle unless it's something you genuinely care about. You can often find electronic engineers willing to take on this work, but that can get expensive.
I'd just take the opportunity to upgrade.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

BlueHusky2154

I don't want to put in the extra time to remove corrosion amd fix caps. Besides, my case just came in at 8:30 PM. Thanks for being late, FedEx. I paid $17.99 for 3-day shipping amd fot it in 6 days. Ripoff.
I will keep everyone updated on my build.
My life summarized.

archaic

Are they in league with the RDA?
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

BlueHusky2154

Build is complete. OS is Wndows 7 Ultimate x64.
Still using my GTX 750.
Runs most games great.

Minecraft: Max Settings @ 60 FPS stable
Unturned: Max Settings @ 80-120 FPS
Unigine Valley: Max Settings @ 30-40 FPS
Avatar: The Game: Max Settings @ 60 FPS stable
My life summarized.

BlueHusky2154

Quote from: archaic on April 04, 2017, 03:11:10 PM
Are they in league with the RDA?
Maybe FedEx noticed my name and address was of a known Na'vi after I ordered many Avatar-related things through them.
My life summarized.

Toliman

Quote from: TEAgaming2154 on April 09, 2017, 10:24:55 PM
Build is complete. OS is Wndows 7 Ultimate x64.
Still using my GTX 750.
Runs most games great.
Txantsan :)