Post Your Rig

Started by Hikyuuri, July 19, 2010, 01:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archaic

Is it worth running two GTX1080's?
Or even three?
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Tìtstewan

Nope, it is not worth running two or more GTX1080. Multi GPU systems aren't a good idea. They need much power, loud, hot, and derping around with various driver/game profiles isn't a thing you really want. ;)

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

archaic

Quote from: Tìtstewan on December 14, 2020, 10:51:54 PMloud, hot

There is always water cooling, but I can't argue with the rest of what you said.

Tìtstewan

Sure, but SLI/CrossFire isn't really worth it (science stuff excluded, of course).

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-

archaic

Except you can pick up used GTX1080's easily and pretty cheaply these days, unlike (say) RTX3090's.

(information correct at time of publishing)

archaic

Relatively cheap, less than $200US.

Tìtstewan

That's true. The thing is, one need to get game profiles so that a game can profit from multi GPU use. Unfortunately, there are only a few games that have such profiles available. Also, I don't want to setup a multi GPU system. ;)

Few days back, I've ordered a Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6900 XT. Even if the shop said they have them available, I am curious to see how long it will take to get it on my hands. :-\

Toliman

Quote from: Tìtstewan on January 04, 2021, 04:38:01 PM
Few days back, I've ordered a Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6900 XT. Even if the shop said they have them available, I am curious to see how long it will take to get it on my hands. :-\
Yeah, waiting, sometimes it's tooooo long ;D Hope that it will be delivered soon!

Tìtstewan

If you could see what's up here in Germany regarding the GPU market. O_o Even 2000+Euro RTX 3090 custom GPUs are sold out within minutes. :o

Toliman

O.o... really such fast? :o

archaic

Quote from: Tìtstewan on January 04, 2021, 04:38:01 PM
You receive your card the day after Radeon launches the new RX 7900 XT.

;)   :P

Toliman

Tìtstewan

HRH

But seriously, if the shop isn't able to deliver the GPU I've ordered in say 10-15 days, then I'll ask them to cancel the order and let them transfer the money back.

Toliman

Yeah, probably I would do it in same way.

archaic

If you are patient and wait, you may get your card sooner than if you have to rejoin the queue later.
Then again, due to the shortages, who really knows? Do we know what the real cause of the supply problem is?

Tìtstewan

:)
I just received an email few hours ago telling me that the GPU is on the way and will be delivered on thursday. :D

Quote from: archaic on January 05, 2021, 02:46:24 PM
... Do we know what the real cause of the supply problem is?
I can't speak for other countries but here in Germany, a lot of people couldn't go to restaurants/bars/museums/cinemas or on holiday due to lockdown and travel warinng issued by the gouvernment. They have a lot of money over and then they're buying new stuff such as TVs or computers (and their components) etc. The demand on hardware is very high.

Toliman

Quote from: Tìtstewan on January 05, 2021, 02:57:15 PM
:)
I just received an email few hours ago telling me that the GPU is on the way and will be delivered on thursday. :D
Nice :D :D

Quote from: Tìtstewan on January 05, 2021, 02:57:15 PM
Quote from: archaic on January 05, 2021, 02:46:24 PM
... Do we know what the real cause of the supply problem is?
I can't speak for other countries but here in Germany, a lot of people couldn't go to restaurants/bars/museums/cinemas or on holiday due to lockdown and travel warinng issued by the gouvernment. They have a lot of money over and then they're buying new stuff such as TVs or computers (and their components) etc. The demand on hardware is very high.
Yeah, that is same also here.

Vawmataw

It's also possible that some measures affect the manufacturers, which cannot produce as much as they can.
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Toliman

Yeah, it's possible... for all manufactures generally.

archaic

I hear a rumor there's a global shortage of wafers too.