Re: What computer sould I get?

Started by Sіr. Ηaxalot, January 02, 2011, 12:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sіr. Ηaxalot

The main problem that Windows have against Apple is that most OEM manufacturers don't give a s*** about the end user experience. If you buy an OEM computer you can almost always expect it to be full of small applications that doesn't really do anything.

The best thing to do is to simply reinstall Windows from a real windows DVD (i.e. not the OEMs restore disc), and then replace the following Antivirus with something good (i.e. Microsofts Security Essentials, which is free and one of the better AVs on the market).

Sweclockers recently tested laptops, and their statement was that all tested laptops were so bloated that they had to do a clean install on them to be able to compare the performance.

Carborundum

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on January 06, 2011, 10:10:33 AM
Sweclockers recently tested laptops, and their statement was that all tested laptops were so bloated that they had to do a clean install on them to be able to compare the performance.
For the record, Sweclockers is like a Swedish Anandtech.
We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Tsamsiyu92

Quote from: Ekirä on January 06, 2011, 09:44:27 AM
I'm the second one in that......but hey, who hasn't had a bad experience with Windows? ;) Please don't take offense, we all know every OS has issues. :P

And I will testify that my Mac exceeds expectations, it runs quickly, can handle having MANY programs open at once without slowing down, doesn't need regular restarts/shutdowns to work smoothly, I've had no problems with viruses....

I wouldn't say that they are too insanely priced, either, you can get a MacBook for $999 which is expensive, but compared to other products of the same quality isn't that unheard of.
I don't take offence. Mac has its good sides, but can you state some specs on that $999 laptop? (RAM, Prosessor (number cores, frequency, etc) and the graphics card)

My Windows desctop too exceeds expectations - hell it runs Cryisis fluently. And it wouldn't have costed me more than 1000$ to build in the states. Competition keeps prices down, Mac is only sold on computers manufactured by Apple, thus they're overpriced.

There are some brands using Windows too that exaggurates in price - heard of Alienware...

Sіr. Ηaxalot

I wouldn't mind if some PC laptop manufacturer went in and really focused on building a high quality laptop, something in style with Apple ones. A manufacturer that doesn't ship a ton of bloated applications, and that use premium build quality and hardware.

Imo a MacBook is the best laptop on the market (prove me wrong?), no becasue of Mac OS X, but because someone on apple probably said "Build the best you can, we can charge ridiculous prices anyway...".

bommel

Well, I would prefer the Thinpad T series if I would have the money. They are so robust you can slap people with it and continue work as if nothing has happened

Niwantaw

Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on January 07, 2011, 05:42:33 PM
heard of Alienware...
with Alienware you pay for cool factor. I mean seriously just look at those comps.
Only mostly AWOL.

Ekirä

Quote from: Ekirä on January 06, 2011, 09:44:27 AM
I'm the second one in that......but hey, who hasn't had a bad experience with Windows? ;) Please don't take offense, we all know every OS has issues. :P

And I will testify that my Mac exceeds expectations, it runs quickly, can handle having MANY programs open at once without slowing down, doesn't need regular restarts/shutdowns to work smoothly, I've had no problems with viruses....

I wouldn't say that they are too insanely priced, either, you can get a MacBook for $999 which is expensive, but compared to other products of the same quality isn't that unheard of.
I don't take offence. Mac has its good sides, but can you state some specs on that $999 laptop? (RAM, Prosessor (number cores, frequency, etc) and the graphics card)

I actually don't own the $999 laptop so I can't testify, I have a Pro. But sure, here are the specs for a $999 MacBook:

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor
2GB memory (upgradable to 4GB)
Up to 500GB 5400-rpm harddrive
NVIDIA G-Force 320M graphics processor

Beyond that....no clue. ;)

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

The Macbook Pro only has an i7 processor and 4 GB of RAM for $2,299.99?! :o

There are lots of much stronger PCs...some with a Blu-Ray player. ;D

Ekirä

Quote from: Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan on January 07, 2011, 07:40:43 PM

You're looking at the most expensive one--the next one down is $1799 with the same. And while some PCs may be stronger in that, every computer has strengths and weaknesses....the Mac will be better in some departments, in others the PC.

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

Quote from: Ekirä on January 07, 2011, 07:54:17 PM

You're looking at the most expensive one--the next one down is $1799 with the same. And while some PCs may be stronger in that, every computer has strengths and weaknesses....the Mac will be better in some departments, in others the PC.
Sran, some of the lower PCs fail epically. :D

Imagine a Mac/PC hybrid...that'd be epic. ;D  (best of both)

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan on January 07, 2011, 08:11:31 PM
Quote from: Ekirä on January 07, 2011, 07:54:17 PM

Sran, some of the lower PCs fail epically. :D

Imagine a Mac/PC hybrid...that'd be epic. ;D  (best of both)

Install Windows 7 on a MBP -> Done!

Tsamsiyu92

I favor VST over RTAS when it comes to Aadio effects/plugins. They're more popular and you can get free or reasonably priced VST amps that are on par or even better than some costing 300$+. VST is Windows-only, because they're in .dll format.

Macs would be more appealing if they weren't outlandishly priced.

Txantslusam Skxawng

This summer I'm going to need a new laptop, I will get some information first of what things I need, but my budget is around up to €800,-
WirelessTsaheylu=Bluetooth
Inventor of the word NARF

Ku'rända

Quote from: Tawtewng on January 07, 2011, 06:18:07 PM
heard of Alienware...
with Alienware you pay for cool factor. I mean seriously just look at those comps.

Which is limited to the case :B you can get plenty of spiffy and show-y cases on New-egg for under $150, as opposed to the $470 extra Alientware charges.

Give us a chance, MORON!

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Ku'rända on January 11, 2011, 06:21:47 AM
Quote from: Tawtewng on January 07, 2011, 06:18:07 PM
heard of Alienware...

Which is limited to the case :B you can get plenty of spiffy and show-y cases on New-egg for under $150, as opposed to the $470 extra Alientware charges.

And then it all comes down to taste. The stereotype that like Alienware (and similar chassis) is 12 year old kids :P

bommel

I like strong machines but they should be in a discreet case.