Re: What computer sould I get?

Started by Sіr. Ηaxalot, January 02, 2011, 12:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Niwantaw

well what do you want it for?

Do you want a desktop or a laptop or even a netbook?
Do you want it for gaming or do you want it for other things?
what kind of price range is pretty important too
Only mostly AWOL.

Niwantaw

so you want a cheap laptop that's fine for watching films and browsing the web.
Only mostly AWOL.

Niwantaw

Ah.

depends on the software you're using for making the films.

going of what I can think of I think this means is the computer will need a fair bit of RAM and a reasonably large HDD but I'm not too sure of that. and if it does I don't think they would be that cheap...
Only mostly AWOL.

Niwantaw

software is the programs you use on a computer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_software

anyway I'm not too sure in this area so it's probably best to wait for someone who is.
Only mostly AWOL.

Niwantaw

If Sir.Haxalot returns I'm pretty sure he'll know.
Only mostly AWOL.

Ku'rända

Gonna also need a dual core (since they still make single cores for low-end laptops) if you plan to watch Blu-ray

Give us a chance, MORON!

Human No More

If you want a laptop, it's simple enough: Avoid Dell, HP or Packard Bell (as with any computers :P ). Personally, I'm a fan of ASUS. You can build your own laptop but it's a pain.

If you want a desktop, build your own, simple as that :)
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Human No More on January 03, 2011, 06:01:24 PM
If you want a laptop, it's simple enough: Avoid Dell, HP or Packard Bell (as with any computers :P ). Personally, I'm a fan of ASUS. You can build your own laptop but it's a pain.

what? Where do you get parts to build you own laptop? :o

Ku'rända

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on January 03, 2011, 06:05:18 PM
Quote from: Human No More on January 03, 2011, 06:01:24 PM

what? Where do you get parts to build you own laptop? :o

You buy a Dell, HP, or Compaq and scrap the innards :b

Dell makes some decent computers (..Crapaq does not) I still have my 13 year old dell :B

Give us a chance, MORON!

Niwantaw

If you get a dell just get an expensive one. THEN they are excellent just their cheap ones are rubbish

I'm using a dell and it's been fine but it was also £800...
Only mostly AWOL.

Tsamsiyu92

If you want to make a movie, A decent dual core processor a bit over 2ghz will serve you well, a quad-core will make rendering faster, but that's about it.

Having a 4gb ram is nice here.

Keep in mind, if RAM and gfx card memory in total exceed 4GB, a 64-bit system would be needed. My laptop has one GB of ram laying dormant due to I having a 32-bit OS.

Ekirä

Quote from: Tawtewng on January 04, 2011, 10:07:08 AM
If you get a dell just get an expensive one. THEN they are excellent just their cheap ones are rubbish

I'm using a dell and it's been fine but it was also £800...

Yeah, my mom's Dell lasted 9 years....then the screen quit, but still, that's a pretty good lifespan...

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

I'm liking my Asus so far. ;D

Also, for video making, I use Sony Vegas Pro. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Vegas

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Yeah, but they're like 20 000 crowners...

Tsamsiyu92

Quote from: Ilisaqpuq on January 05, 2011, 10:45:41 PM
No one's mentioned mac so far! If you have the cash and want portability over power, go for a MBP. It'll be able to handle most of your video editing quite well (with the exclusion of heavy-duty FX).
Macs are really for riches, because it's only Apple that makes them and theri monopoly on it paves the way for charging outlandish prices for them.

Windows are not such an error fest as mac-fans wantto believe. And most sanely priced programs in the same range for music at least are windows only - suppose it's the same for video editing. Versatility is also a bonus point to windows.

Most mac fans are either smug rich elitists or have had one or two bad experiences with Windows.

Ekirä

Quote from: Tsamsiyu92 on January 06, 2011, 09:02:26 AM
Quote from: Ilisaqpuq on January 05, 2011, 10:45:41 PM
No one's mentioned mac so far! If you have the cash and want portability over power, go for a MBP. It'll be able to handle most of your video editing quite well (with the exclusion of heavy-duty FX).
Macs are really for riches, because it's only Apple that makes them and theri monopoly on it paves the way for charging outlandish prices for them.

Windows are not such an error fest as mac-fans wantto believe. And most sanely priced programs in the same range for music at least are windows only - suppose it's the same for video editing. Versatility is also a bonus point to windows.

Most mac fans are either smug rich elitists or have had one or two bad experiences with Windows.

I'm the second one in that......but hey, who hasn't had a bad experience with Windows? ;) Please don't take offense, we all know every OS has issues. :P

And I will testify that my Mac exceeds expectations, it runs quickly, can handle having MANY programs open at once without slowing down, doesn't need regular restarts/shutdowns to work smoothly, I've had no problems with viruses....

I wouldn't say that they are too insanely priced, either, you can get a MacBook for $999 which is expensive, but compared to other products of the same quality isn't that unheard of.

bommel

yes, I own the cheapest Macbook too. But the other ones are overpriced.

And regarding security: don't think OS X is as safe as Apple tells you. Often Macs are the first systems hackers break into in less than half an hour at most security conferences. They're just not popular enough for criminals

Ekirä

Quote from: bommel on January 06, 2011, 09:53:29 AM
yes, I own the cheapest Macbook too. But the other ones are overpriced.

And regarding security: don't think OS X is as safe as Apple tells you. Often Macs are the first systems hackers break into in less than half an hour at most security conferences. They're just not popular enough for criminals

I tend to think of it (in terms of safety) as between a Linux system and Windows....not the safest, but still pretty safe.

But this:
QuoteThey're just not popular enough for criminals

I'm not so sure about. It seems to me they'd be more popular, but I don't know.