What kind of GPU class do you have in your system

Started by Kerame Pxel Nume, December 18, 2010, 05:34:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which kind of GPU class do have in your system? It supports up to...

<= OpenGL 2 / DirectX 8 and below
0 (0%)
>= OpenGL 2.1 / DirectX 9
2 (8.3%)
>= OpenGL 3 and DirectX 10
12 (50%)
>= OpenGL 4 and DirectX 11
10 (41.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Kerame Pxel Nume

Just like the question says. I'd like to know the distribution of GPU capabilities among the LN members. Tell me, that's the capabilities of the best GPU you have in use. If you don't know what your GPU supports, there are exhaustive lists on Wikipedia:

NVidia GPUs comparison
AMD/ATI GPUs comparison

No Intel GPU so far supports more than OpenGL 2.1 and their performance just can't compete with the others, so if you've got an Intel GPU you may safely select option 1.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Kerame Pxel Nume on December 18, 2010, 05:34:08 AM

No Intel GPU so far supports more than OpenGL 2.1 and their performance just can't compete with the others, so if you've got an Intel GPU you may safely select option 1.

But some of them DO support DirectX 10, so we still got problem

Anyway, I'm running an HD5870, and it's awesome! Only problem is that my CPU is the limiting factor atm :P

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on December 18, 2010, 07:29:04 AM
But some of them DO support DirectX 10, so we still got problem
The DirectX 10 feature set is a bit less demanding than OpenGL 3, true. But it's much closer to OpenGL 3 than OpenGL 2, so I coerced it into the same class. The same holds for OpenGL 4 vs. DirectX 11. But unlike DirectX where each version supports only a fixed function set and every new generation of GPUs requires a new iteration of the DirectX API, OpenGL can be easily extended. So what usually happens: Microsoft releases a specification for the next version of DirectX and the GPU manufacturers design their hardware to fullfull the specification, and even introduce new features that are to be included into the DirectX version after. However they can release OpenGL drivers supporting the full feature set immediately.

In 2006, when I bought my GeForce 8800 GTX I was tinkering with the new capabilities the same day using OpenGL. Yet it took nearly half a year after that day until Windows Vista was released, finally shipping DX10, making the functionality available to users of the DX API.

Ku'rända

both my HD4670s are DX10.1 but only support OGL 2.1

Give us a chance, MORON!

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: Ku'rända on December 18, 2010, 08:22:51 AM
both my HD4670s are DX10.1 but only support OGL 2.1
Yes, like I already explained, there are some GPUs that meet DX10 requiremets, but not those of OpenGL 3. In my poll I asked to select that one option in which both OpenGL and DX support are those of your card. So if your card does support DX10 but not OpenGL 3 place it in the OpenGL 2.1 category.

ATM I'm more concerned about the OpenGL support out there. I'm not giving away why exactly I'm polling this survey, there'll be a separate announcement then.

Swoka Ikran

Running a GeForce 8300 here. Wikipedia says OGL 3.3...

It's DX10 capable, but I'm running XP :P
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Kemaweyan

Palit GeForce GT220 128bit 512Mb GDDR3

GPU code name: GT216
  Fab: 40nm
  Bus interface: PCI-E 2.0 x16
  Memory size: 512Mb
  Bus width: 128bit
  Memory type: GDDR3
  Unified Shaders: 40
  Texture mapping unit: 16
  Render output unit: 8
  Core clock: 625MHz
  Shader clock:1360MHz
  Memory clock: 1580MHz
  DirectX ver: 10.1
  OpenGL ver: 3.3
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

bommel

@Home: Geforce 7600GT AGP (OpenGL 2.x/DX9) (voted)
@Work: Geforce GTX 470 (OpenGL 4/DX11)

Carborundum

We learn from our mistakes only if we are made aware of them.
If I make a mistake, please bring it to my attention for karma.

Seze

What is a GPU?  All of my machines, minus my laptop, are all servers.  They usually run without a monitor attached, so I don't think they have much in GPU capabilities.  Though I could see that changing in the future with all the work that has been done on using the GPU for other processing functions...

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Eyawng te Klltepayu

Please tell me if you see mistakes in a Na'vi post of mine. It's the only way I'll learn. :P

Kan oe trro fnivan lì'fyat leNa'vi frapoto a foru ke sunängu rel arusikx alu Uniltìrantokx.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Na'vin Nos'feratxu

NotW#82

Kemaweyan

bommel

Quote from: Seze on December 19, 2010, 05:02:51 PM
What is a GPU?  All of my machines, minus my laptop, are all servers.  They usually run without a monitor attached, so I don't think they have much in GPU capabilities.  Though I could see that changing in the future with all the work that has been done on using the GPU for other processing functions...
That's why I have a Geforce GTX 470 with 1280 MB GDDR5 VRAM at work ;D

Kemaweyan

Second PC: ASUS GeForce FX 5600 XT 128bit 128Mb DDR

GPU code name: NV31
 Fab: 130nm
 Bus interface: AGP 8x
 Memory size: 128Mb
 Bus width: 128bit
 Memory type: DDR
 Vertex shader: 1
 Pixel shader: 2
 Texture mapping unit: 2
 Render Output unit: 2
 Core clock: 235MHz
 Memory clock: 400MHz
 DirectX ver: 9.0b
 OpenGL ver: 1.5 (2.1 software)

Human No More

A GTX 285 ;D

Thinking of upgrading some time but it still runs everything at maximum detail and good framerates for now :)
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Kemaweyan

Quote from: Human No More on December 23, 2010, 10:53:26 AM
A GTX 285 ;D

Thinking of upgrading some time but it still runs everything at maximum detail and good framerates for now :)

My friend bought it last year :) But he doesn't play games. ;D I don't know why he needs it :-\

Seze

Quote from: Kemaweyan on December 23, 2010, 11:35:05 AM
...But he doesn't play games. ;D I don't know why he needs it :-\

I say the same thing about my dad.  He recently built up a pretty decent gaming class machine (no idea what the actual specs are, but I think its an AMD Quad Core, and the graphics card he got has 1GB of ram on it), but doesn't do any gaming at all.  All I could say is that those spreadsheets of his sure won't know what hit em...

Learn Na'vi Mobile App - Now Available

Kemaweyan

Hrh. Third PC: Intel i752 onboard video in i810 chipset (MB for Celeron 600MHz) ;D I don't know its features, only what there are 11Mb VRAM (from system RAM) and hardware support of DX6 :) But it works ;D I even can play some games there (like Half-life) ;D ;D ;D