What OS do you use? And computers in general.

Started by Elektrolurch, September 26, 2010, 11:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What OSs do you use?

Windows 7
13 (48.1%)
Windows Vista/XP
8 (29.6%)
Windows (older versions)
2 (7.4%)
Linux
11 (40.7%)
UNIX
5 (18.5%)
Mac OSX
5 (18.5%)
Something else.
3 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on October 01, 2010, 02:41:17 PM
As nebtioned earlier Win XP and Win Vista/7 would be better options. I highly doubt that anyone is still using a DOS based Windows version.
I know of at least 3 people who still use Windows98 or worse Windows95. And they refuse to upgrade *sigh*.

bommel

Quote from: Kerame Pxel Nume on October 02, 2010, 10:53:40 AM
As nebtioned earlier Win XP and Win Vista/7 would be better options. I highly doubt that anyone is still using a DOS based Windows version.
I know of at least 3 people who still use Windows98 or worse Windows95. And they refuse to upgrade *sigh*.
If you don't use the Internet and just write letters or so this should be still fine... just a better typewriter xD

Txonari

Quote from: bommel on October 02, 2010, 11:52:50 AM
Quote from: Kerame Pxel Nume on October 02, 2010, 10:53:40 AM
If you don't use the Internet and just write letters or so this should be still fine... just a better typewriter xD

Yeah, but... the viruses, man, the viruses! You should secretly install Linux on their computers and theme it like 98/95. :D
All I want is a single thing worth fighting for.

bommel

Quote from: Txonari on October 02, 2010, 11:54:37 AM
Yeah, but... the viruses, man, the viruses! You should secretly install Linux on their computers and theme it like 98/95. :D
I know, I know. But it would get quite difficult if their PCs are slow. Even Linux has some minimum specs nowadays :P

Txonari

Quote from: bommel on October 02, 2010, 12:00:26 PM
Quote from: Txonari on October 02, 2010, 11:54:37 AM
I know, I know. But it would get quite difficult if their PCs are slow. Even Linux has some minimum specs nowadays :P

I'm pretty sure there's several distros out there that support really old computers. DSL being one, Puppy, and a few others.

bommel

Quote from: Txonari on October 02, 2010, 12:02:53 PM
I'm pretty sure there's several distros out there that support really old computers. DSL being one, Puppy, and a few others.
I don't work with such versions. Can noobs work with them? Most time people with such old hw/sw have no clue about computers and I fear they can't work with Linux then...

Txonari

That's true. It would probably require some major customization to make it user friendly enough.

bommel

Quote from: Txonari on October 02, 2010, 12:14:44 PM
That's true. It would probably require some major customization to make it user friendly enough.
I guess buying a new comp would be less effort and entry level systems aren't that expensive anymore

Txonari

Elektrolurch

I'm looking for some UNIX systems besides BSD. ::) Any ideas?
Volt, Watt, Ampere, Ohm, ohne mich gibt's keinen Strom!

bommel

Quote from: Virid'ian on October 02, 2010, 12:25:44 PM
I'm looking for some UNIX systems besides BSD. ::) Any ideas?
I know a few others but they aren't free: OS X (underlying OS is free though), Solaris, AIX, HP-UX, SCO OpenServer

But keep in mind that - like Linux - they don't differ that much in core. Mostly it's what's on top (like GUI for example). If you can handle BSD (personally, I don't like BSD the way I like Linux) you won't see a huge difference...

Elektrolurch

Yeah I know. ;D But it's like... WANNAHAVE!!!

There's PCBSD, but it won't boot anymore. :( And currently, I'm downloading Nexenta, a mixture of Solaris and Debian.

By the way, how do I install anything on Debian? Meaning.. using the debian package manager?

bommel

Quote from: Virid'ian on October 02, 2010, 01:25:57 PM
By the way, how do I install anything on Debian? Meaning.. using the debian package manager?
don't they have aptitude like Ubuntu has?

Elektrolurch

bommel

Quote from: Virid'ian on October 02, 2010, 01:33:32 PM
I don't know?
at least when working with the console on Ubuntu: apt-get install <packet>

Elektrolurch

Yeah I already know... I've tested Debian several times now and it NEVER worked. >.<

bommel

Elektrolurch

bommel

Quote from: Virid'ian on October 02, 2010, 01:55:20 PM
Nicenice, thank you! :)
No problem ;)
Linux is great but sometimes you just need more info xD

Elektrolurch

Indeeds.

<<< Currently running Ubuntu Studio.