What OS do you use? And computers in general.

Started by Elektrolurch, September 26, 2010, 11:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What OSs do you use?

Windows 7
13 (48.1%)
Windows Vista/XP
8 (29.6%)
Windows (older versions)
2 (7.4%)
Linux
11 (40.7%)
UNIX
5 (18.5%)
Mac OSX
5 (18.5%)
Something else.
3 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Kerame Pxel Nume

Quote from: bommel on November 18, 2010, 01:50:31 PM
Thanks for putting this right. But I just don't understand why on earth they must split the graphics driver in two parts (kernel & x11 module), it just sucks if one of them changes :( That's something that Windows does better...
The kernel is responsible for managing memory and all the communication with the hardware. In the traditional setting however, it's the X server duty to actually send all those commands and write stuff into memory. So you will need some module in the kernel, that knows how to talk to a certain piece of hardware. And then there's the program in user space, aka the X driver module, which communicates with the hardware through the kernel module.

Now the idea is, to move the knowledge about the protocol, i.e. the commands for the hardware away from the X server and get it closer to the kernel, and expose the graphics hardware by a unified interface, which would radically simplify the design of the X server: Instead of being responsible for bringing the drivers and all the stuff it would be an abstraction layer, giving applications a network transparent, cooperative environment for access to the graphics system – have a look at kdrive fbdev X server to get an idea about how it may work. The kernel is already doing stuff, which used to be done by X some years ago, Kernel Mode Switching (KMS), managing GPU's resurces (DRI, DRI2). But X is only a part of the system. X for example doesn't provide 3D primitives. But it provides means to get a piece of graphics memory (a framebuffer) and an extensible protocol into which other APIs can be encapsulated, like OpenGL. But OpenGL can't replace X, OpenGL doesn't know how to segment a screen into windows for separate processes (some people may think glViewport / glScissor and FBOs being up to the task, but they're wrong). OpenGL stands beside X11 covering a different task. Then there's a new API, called OpenVG which provides rich 2D drawing functions (something OpenGL is very bad at). A streamlining of X11 would then be responsible for event dispatch, window placement (but not management) and encapsulating the API calls of other drawing APIs. And segmenting your screen into windows and doing composite only on a as-needed basis is the only way to get lag-free, tearing-free graphics (you just don't composite the focused window). Tunneling API calls through the network is no bottleneck, BTW: Modern OS don't copy stuff if it's going through the loopback interface or a domain socket — they just pass page table pointers.

The idea this culminates is Gallium.

Kekerusey

Quote from: bommel on November 17, 2010, 04:56:29 PMYes, and whoever complains about drivers not working should have a look at Linux. New xserver version and bang! graphics driver isn't supported anymore :( By the way the xserver model is something I really don't like...

Though to be fair to it, Kubuntu is the only thing that will work on my laptop (I'm sure other distros' would too but I only tried that and OpenSUSE) ... I couldn't get ANY Windows version to work on it at all. My suspicion is that there is a hardware fault and it was the more general (universal) nature of Linux drivers that allowed it to run.

Quote from: Virid'ian on November 17, 2010, 05:07:40 PMThere are always drivers not working... The solution is Mac..

Ah yes ... Apple Mac's, a triumph of style over quality!  ;D

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Kekerusey on November 20, 2010, 03:40:48 AM
Quote from: bommel on November 17, 2010, 04:56:29 PMYes, and whoever complains about drivers not working should have a look at Linux. New xserver version and bang! graphics driver isn't supported anymore :( By the way the xserver model is something I really don't like...

Though to be fair to it, Kubuntu is the only thing that will work on my laptop (I'm sure other distros' would too but I only tried that and OpenSUSE) ... I couldn't get ANY Windows version to work on it at all. My suspicion is that there is a hardware fault and it was the more general (universal) nature of Linux drivers that allowed it to run.

Quote from: Virid'ian on November 17, 2010, 05:07:40 PMThere are always drivers not working... The solution is Mac..

Ah yes ... Apple Mac's, a triumph of style over quality!  ;D

Keke

If your experiencing bluescreens even before you have installed any drivers or software, it is probably hardware fault. Keep in mind that those hardware faults might cause data corruption, no matter what OS you run.

Kekerusey

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on November 20, 2010, 09:29:53 AMIf your experiencing bluescreens even before you have installed any drivers or software, it is probably hardware fault. Keep in mind that those hardware faults might cause data corruption, no matter what OS you run.

No blue screens ... it just locked! Kubuntu doesn't, same with SuSE

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)