Windows 8(Beta)

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, September 14, 2011, 05:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Taronyu Leleioae on May 09, 2013, 10:37:33 AM
Quote from: Swoka Ikran on May 09, 2013, 10:32:01 AM
Quote from: Kxrekorikus on May 09, 2013, 12:39:46 AM
W8's Start Screen is the same start menu as it was in 7 but it's full screen,
That's actually the primary reason I hate it. I don't want it full screen, because I often launch something while watching the progress of another task (e.g. launching a test program while watching the software to be tested compile). If the start screen could exist in a window and let me leave my programs visible, I wouldn't mind it so much.

Completely agree!  For users that have multiple documents open side by side, this becomes an issue.  Not to mention, having say a pdf open, the command line (multiple boxes), and something else where you actually need to reference all of them at once...
I'm someone who uses all of my screen real estate regularly. I usually have command prompts, notepad, and maybe a PDF or two on the second screen, and firefox, a code editor, and a pile of explorer windows on the first.

Whoever thought hiding work to open a program was a good idea needs to actually try using it like us power users.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Vawmataw

Quote from: Kxrekorikus on May 09, 2013, 12:39:46 AM
Flamewar surrounding Windows 8 will never end.
I love it anyway myself.

Yes, they see that people do not like Windows 8 (mostly new start screen). I know that someone wants older start menu but what's there so important? W8's Start Screen is the same start menu as it was in 7 but it's full screen, you can pin there any file/folder etc. and of course has a lot of better search functions than older start menu has...  Yes, maybe they will bring start buton and boot to desktop in Windows 8.1 but this button will still lead to Start Screen. I'm using Windows from 95 and in my opinion Windows 8 is the best of them. It's fast, stable, 2 OS in 1 (Modern/Windows).

I understand how people can hate Vista. Because it's slow, heavy, buggy. But W8 just because it doesn't have start menu which is crap at all?
Well, there will be always someone complaining about smth.
I agree with you.

Just we have to respect other's opinions. ;)
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Human No More

The fact that it's full screen is the problem. Windows 8 is hostile to multitasking, power users, or indeed, anyone who uses a computer as more than a dumb facebook/twitter/youtube terminal.

The dismal sales figures speak for themselves.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Irtaviš Ačankif

Quote from: Human No More on May 13, 2013, 05:32:48 PM
The fact that it's full screen is the problem. Windows 8 is hostile to multitasking, power users, or indeed, anyone who uses a computer as more than a dumb facebook/twitter/youtube terminal.

The dismal sales figures speak for themselves.
You can always use XMonad...

Honestly tiling window managers are the best for aggressive multitasking. Windows (or KDE, GNOME, XFCE, insert your compositing/floating WM here) encourages making everything fullscreen since before Vista it was very difficult to actually tile the windows without making them overlap, decreasing productivity by the need to move windows around often. Windows 8 at least kept that feature.

Also, doing everything full screen and using alt-tab a lot is my work style, since my laptop doesn't have those fancy 1080p screens and application windows get difficult to use (UI elements go off the border for instance) when they get too small.

I do think that they should put in a switch to hide all the tablet fullscreen apps and transform the start tile to just an application launcher (it's good at that). My mom is often supremely confused when she accidentally uses the tablet version of Internet Explorer and all her windows are gone, and she'll exclaim suddenly about losing all her work (she does not usually use alt-tab or alt-f4, which seem to be the only way to get out of a tablet app).
Previously Ithisa Kīranem, Uniltìrantokx te Skxawng.

Name from my Sakaš conlang, from Sakasul Ältäbisäl Acarankïp

"First name" is Ačankif, not Eltabiš! In Na'vi, Atsankip.

Taronyu Leleioae

FYI that the beta Windows 8.1 was released yesterday to developers.  Microsoft met the demands half way returning the start button and improving the number of co-current applications running on a full screen (from 2 to now 8).  However they made a hybrid of the old programs menus.  Instead of the classing Start > Programs..., you'll have Programs/Apps hover on the screen somehow to display options.  And they've supposedly made it so that you can move multiple tiles at once.

With this developer's release, Microsoft simultaneously is releasing Server 2012 R2.  (Likely as a developer's release.)  Haven't seen it yet.  Hope they put back some of the traditional controls that went away after Server 2008 R2...

Public release of Windows 8.1 is supposedly end of the year.

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Got to know today that Windows 8.1 is available for free download. Since i have Windows 8 already, it is free to download the new version.

Taronyu Leleioae

Had an interesting experience with the 8.1 service pack upgrade on a new Dell that came with 8.

Ended up flushing the cache, temp files, etc.  in IE.  It also reset the default printers to OneNote.

Further, my father uses the iPhone/iPad calendar sync to icloud on this Win 8 machine.  Apple has had a few problems with fonts on the Win 8 side.  (It's being cursed on their forums...)  You get weird text colors for the calendar entries.  In fact, if you have multiple devices, it can change color on you randomly.  Figured out a work around.  Make sure on EVERY Apple device, you select the same default font/color settings for that individual.  Otherwise you get a tug of war going on between devices, and the Apple devices take priority in icloud for settings.  Especially if you have multiple people sharing calendars.

archaic

Another of my friends has upgraded from windows 8 to windows 7.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

Niri Te

We REALLY upgraded my friends, we replaced the battery in our Sony VIAO that runs Windows XP. now we have to re-format it.
Tokx alu tawtute, Tirea Le Na'vi

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: archaic on December 08, 2013, 05:44:51 AM

HRH!!

Ma Niri Te, why would you have to reformat after a battery replacement??

Getting ready to move my laptop from Fedora 14 to fedora 20, and my desktop machine from Fedora 19 to fedora 20.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

guest2859

My roommate is an aspiring DJ with a full turn-table that he recently got a new laptop to accompany. This Laptop, as expected, has Windows 8. After a couple of days he started begging me to get my friend to mail my Windows 7 disk up here. So, I try it to see his complaint, after 10 minutes I completely agreed with him.

>Hail Linux

Taronyu Leleioae

Quote from: Nantang 'Rrtayä on December 28, 2013, 06:07:36 PM
My roommate is an aspiring DJ with a full turn-table that he recently got a new laptop to accompany. This Laptop, as expected, has Windows 8. After a couple of days he started begging me to get my friend to mail my Windows 7 disk up here. So, I try it to see his complaint, after 10 minutes I completely agreed with him.

>Hail Linux

Make sure you've updated it to 8.1 with the service pack.  It's not ideal, but it does return at least the "Start" button and some of the functionality.  You can then go into some of the settings and set the laptop to display a more traditional Windows 7 look.  It's NOT windows 7 with all the functionality, but it's something of a retro.

If you blow out windows, you'll blow out your backup images.  So if you do, I'd suggest downloading all the necessarily drivers for that laptop model PRIOR to doing anything.  As a Windows disk alone will not get your computer to run properly...  Just saying...

archaic

Quote from: archaic on December 08, 2013, 05:44:51 AM
And another, they tried 8.1, gave up and went 7.
Pasha, an Avatar story, my most recent fanfic, Avatar related, now complete.

The Dragon Affair my last fanfic, non Avatar related.

guest2859

My roommate has officially given up on Windows 8. He was DJing at our new year's party, and after about 2 hours, even with no other processes running and the laptop in a cool spot, the application crashed, wouldn't start back up and the sound board became unreadable, which wasn't fixed until we disconnected everything and plugged it all back in. He was told this was common with Serato and Windows 8, so we'll be going through the upgrade.

But, in other news, I came to like the look of it. So, I have a Windows 8 visual style + Classic Shell on my Windows 7. Much easier on the eyes.