Windows 8(Beta)

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, September 14, 2011, 05:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Human No More on March 04, 2012, 05:33:24 PM
It's one of the worst OSes  I've ever used, down there with win95/3.1
I actually thought Win8 was worse than both Win95 and Win3.1.

The idea of using touch for any productivity-related task is ludicrous. If I was forced to use one, I know I wouldn't be productive for a number of reasons...
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Tsmuktengan

You cannot even customize your environment as Metro is completely unflexible. I have actually seen only few people satisfied by Metro on Windows Phones, only people "getting used to it". I won't use this on my computer. :(

Ikran Eyktan

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on March 04, 2012, 08:24:36 PM
You cannot even customize your environment as Metro is completely unflexible. I have actually seen only few people satisfied by Metro on Windows Phones, only people "getting used to it". I won't use this on my computer. :(

I agree, and I don't see this Beta going in the right direction at all.  I say that were due for another Vista soon, and Windows 8 might just be that.  Microsoft (completely) removing the start menu, and replacing it with the Metro UI is a bad, bad choice IMO.  Right now I find that it gets in the way of the classic desktop too much, and people are going to need that.  Metro UI really great and fun for tablets/phones, but we need a reality check here.  Were not living in 2154 using the desktop-replacement tablet computers that we see RDA using.  A tablet right now, is just a... tablet, and is used for its intended purpose.  You don't see heavy gamers or film editors doing their daily work on tablets, and probably wont for quite a while.  Same goes for the corporate customer.

Another small (literally!) problem I see happening is, the ribbon UI taking over, at the same time the industry decided to swap over to 16:9 displays.  Yes, it is better than the classic menu bar, but the amount of usable vertical space on a 16:9 display is already tight as is.  Especially when you consider that lots of people are using 16:9 laptops that don't go as high as 1920x1080.  They have already fattened the taskbar in Win7, and now they want to put a big ribbon in?  Yes I know you can thin the taskbar and hide the ribbon in Windows 8 Beta afterwards, but really... is all this necessary?

Just something to think about.

Human No More

Also, those stupid corner menus, which take ages to appear, have a tiny zone to mouseover, and always fail to trigger when you want them but always trigger when you don't >:(

I'd like to punch whoever thought it would be a good idea to put a smartphone UI on a real computer. Not just the metro UI and the corners though, but when you lock the screen, you actually have to drag a picture up to get a password field... that is absolutely infuriating.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Ikran Eyktan

I know, its ridiculous that they think all this is an acceptable desktop OS!  They were stupid enough to create Vista, and I have no doubts they will create another.

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: Ikran Eyktan on March 05, 2012, 06:04:58 PM
I know, its ridiculous that they think all this is an acceptable desktop OS!  They were stupid enough to create Vista, and I have no doubts they will create another.

Don't forget Millenium before XP.  ;)

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on March 06, 2012, 11:13:08 AM
Quote from: Ikran Eyktan on March 05, 2012, 06:04:58 PM

Don't forget Millenium before XP.  ;)
IMO, Vista sucked more. ME was buggy, but it worked and was decently fast for its time. Vista is slow and clunky even on new hardware.

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Human No More on March 05, 2012, 05:56:49 PM
Also, those stupid corner menus, which take ages to appear, have a tiny zone to mouseover, and always fail to trigger when you want them but always trigger when you don't >:(

I'd like to punch whoever thought it would be a good idea to put a smartphone UI on a real computer. Not just the metro UI and the corners though, but when you lock the screen, you actually have to drag a picture up to get a password field... that is absolutely infuriating.

And the funnies thing is that during the presentation they guy said that it was an improvement, because now you can just hit Enter [or any key] instead of Ctrl+Alt+Delete! I haven't tried the CP in a AD yet, but in the DP you had to press down Ctrl + Alt + Delete unless you had disabled it with GPOs.

It was ever only used on computers in a domain and since it's there for a reason the 'improvement' just feels like a bad excuse.

Human No More

Ctrl-alt-del was there for a good reason - only Windows recognises it, so prevents fake login screens. It seems Windows 8 was developed by people with no understanding of how Windows works.

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
dA

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Human No More on March 06, 2012, 06:29:11 PM
It seems Windows 8 was developed by people with no understanding of how Windows works.
Couldn't agree more. I feel that MS believes the entire Windows user base is clueless.

In other news, I found a NeoSeeker post today saying that Stardock released an app which adds a Start Menu to Win8. It's Metro-ish, but looks much more desktop-friendly (Picture in the URL above).

Also, Metro can supposedly be killed by renaming shlsxs.dll in the system32 folder.

I haven't tried either of the above since I deleted my Win8 VM to save space, but both look like a step in the right direction, IMO.

Sìkat

My boss is trying it out, and I'm honestly not very impressed with what I've seen, particularly the Metro interface.  I can guarantee that no computer of mine is going to have a touchscreen before Windows 8 comes out, so the utility of the Metro interface for me is questionable at best.

Needless to say, if Metro is still the default by the time I have to replace my laptop, I'm buying a MacBook.

Tsmuktengan

Quote from: sfc78 on March 06, 2012, 07:32:06 PM
My boss is trying it out, and I'm honestly not very impressed with what I've seen, particularly the Metro interface.  I can guarantee that no computer of mine is going to have a touchscreen before Windows 8 comes out, so the utility of the Metro interface for me is questionable at best.

Needless to say, if Metro is still the default by the time I have to replace my laptop, I'm buying a MacBook.

Don't buy a Mac. Try easy and good alternatives such as GNU/Linux (there are very good OSes based on Linux such as Ubuntu, Mageia, Mint and OpenSuse). I personally recommend Mageia even if Ubuntu might be more adapted for some people.

Mac is overexpensive and lacks a lot of compatibility with other software and operating systems. When you enter Apple, you enter a dictatorship.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Human No More on March 06, 2012, 06:29:11 PM
Ctrl-alt-del was there for a good reason - only Windows recognises it, so prevents fake login screens. It seems Windows 8 was developed by people with no understanding of how Windows works.

Actually, I installed a version in a VM and joined it to a test Domain. I can confirm that Ctrl+Alt+Delete is still there.

I don't know why they thought that was a good idea to say, but it was my indicator to that I'm about to hear a load of BS.

Human No More

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 06, 2012, 07:31:24 PM
Also, Metro can supposedly be killed by renaming shlsxs.dll in the system32 folder.

That worked in the developer preview, but not the latest, unfortunately :(

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
dA

- Richard P. Feynman

Human No More

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on March 07, 2012, 06:51:01 AM
Quote from: sfc78 on March 06, 2012, 07:32:06 PM

Don't buy a Mac. Try easy and good alternatives such as GNU/Linux (there are very good OSes based on Linux such as Ubuntu, Mageia, Mint and OpenSuse). I personally recommend Mageia even if Ubuntu might be more adapted for some people.

Mac is overexpensive and lacks a lot of compatibility with other software and operating systems. When you enter Apple, you enter a dictatorship.
Well said. Unless 8 drastically improves, when 7 becomes inviable to stick with, I'll be moving to Mint.

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
dA

- Richard P. Feynman

Tsmuktengan

And any way any one who does not like change can stick to Windows 7 : it's support fully continues and could continue for long, even XP is still supported as of today.

Sìkat

In early 2007, I updated to Windows Vista and became so infuriated with it that I took my tax refund money and bought an iMac.  I had already been using a Mac mini for the past year, but not as my primary desktop.  Today, I use Mac, Windows & Linux in various capacities, can use either Mac or Windows for my desktop, and develop for both iOS and .NET.  That said, I understand it's inevitable that I'm gonna be running Windows 8 at some point; however, I will only do so when I don't have a choice, and I'll be doing it with one hand on my keyboard and the other either down my throat or holding my nose shut.

I've tried to run Linux on the desktop at various points over the last 17+ years, but have invariably run into problems with hardware compatibility, or some problem comes up that requires me to spend so much time screwing around that I get ticked off and nuke the machine.  However, it is probably time for me to reevaluate that position (rant follows).

Yawne Zize’ite

To be fair, once you get to the Desktop you're almost free of Metro, and underneath it works like Win 7 with some cosmetic improvements.

Now if they could only get rid of that Metro skin on top...

Eltusiyu

I'm using W8 CP since tuesday. I love new Metro UI, fast of W8's so I very like new "child" of MS :)

I don't like one thing.. People App doesn't work for me :(

Kxangangang! - Oeyä Pìlok leNa'vi

Previously called Kxrekorikus

Human No More

Quote from: sfc78 on March 08, 2012, 10:07:22 AM
In early 2007, I updated to Windows Vista and became so infuriated with it that I took my tax refund money and bought an iMac.  I had already been using a Mac mini for the past year, but not as my primary desktop.  Today, I use Mac, Windows & Linux in various capacities, can use either Mac or Windows for my desktop, and develop for both iOS and .NET.  That said, I understand it's inevitable that I'm gonna be running Windows 8 at some point; however, I will only do so when I don't have a choice, and I'll be doing it with one hand on my keyboard and the other either down my throat or holding my nose shut.

I've tried to run Linux on the desktop at various points over the last 17+ years, but have invariably run into problems with hardware compatibility, or some problem comes up that requires me to spend so much time screwing around that I get ticked off and nuke the machine.  However, it is probably time for me to reevaluate that position (rant follows).
I use it at work, and the only problems have been dependencies, which is primarily due to it being CentOS rather than a distro with better package management - I've never had such problems on my server, which runs Ubuntu.

Honestly though, Windows 8 is, IMHO, a big move towards an 'Apple mentality' - "THIS is how you WILL use your computer because we know better than you!". Microsoft is gambling that gimmicks such as tablets will be worth disgruntling their entire base of professionals and power users for, when I honestly think tablets will be forgotten about a few years when people realise they aren't all that useful, being stuck between the portability of a smartphone and the power and flexibility of a real computer, much like happened to PDAs or videophones. When I tried the Windows 8 previews, my first impression was that they had completely forgotten how computers work. It even has a login screen where you need to click on a picture and drag it down, because a simple login prompt would have been too much like a real computer and too scary for people with single digit IQs who MS seem to be catering to here, as can be seen with the Metro menu, which, if I was to describe in a sentence, I would say "My First Computer, for ages 3-5".

Unless they add an option to disable Metro, I will not be using Windows 8 - once 7 is not viable, I'll move to Linux Mint and run everything under WINE. Microsoft are shooting themselves in the foot here.

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
dA

- Richard P. Feynman