Windows 8(Beta)

Started by Tsanten Eywa 'eveng, September 14, 2011, 05:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricardo

You don't know the movie Idiocracy? Or was it just a joke?

However, the movie is mostly crap, but the comparision fits well. :D

Ningey

I didn't know that movie (however, I have looked that up on Wikipedia), but I thought the two images would match perfectly.
Or put bluntly: An interface for morons (sorry, but that's what I consider the Metro interface to be) operated with a keyboard for dummies - how awfully fitting... :-X

"Sawtute ke tsun nivume - fo ke kerame!"
-- Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

"There are two things that are infinite: Human stupidity and the universe. However, I'm not yet sure about the universe."
-- Albert Einstein

"He who gives up freedom for security deserves neither and loses both."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Clarke

Quote from: Ricardo on August 17, 2012, 01:01:30 PM
;D ;D ;D

(I happen to have a MDSN subscription, so operating systems will not be a problem for me for the next couple of years. :P)

Kekerusey

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on September 14, 2011, 02:54:27 PMlook here, it's Windows 8, it requires a lot, maybe because of the advanced technology

this is the same on Windows 7 too

Yeah, I tend to agree ... OS's evolve to exploit the latest typical hardware and most PC's these days come with at least 2, if not 4. Personally I wouldn't build (or buy) a PC with less than 8 these days. I have no real issues on it ... I'm using a PC with an i7, 16GB and a 240GB SSD C: drive (normal SATA D:) so Win 8/64 is no real problem. I reckon a system with Linux/KDE on it would probably have a similar footprint.

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Kekerusey

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 06, 2012, 07:31:24 PMCouldn't agree more. I feel that MS believes the entire Windows user base is clueless.

Maybe you're right ... every company has its day (look at what happened to IBM) and I wondered if MS would start a slow slide  into obscurity once Gates (who in my opinion was MS's heart, soul & driving force) departed. If so I wonder if Linux can effectively exploit the gap it leaves or if someone else does? [Keke whispers: "Please dear Zeus don't let it be Apple"]

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 06, 2012, 07:31:24 PMI haven't tried either of the above since I deleted my Win8 VM to save space, but both look like a step in the right direction, IMO.

In other news, I found a NeoSeeker post today saying that Stardock released an app which adds a Start Menu to Win8. It's Metro-ish, but looks much more desktop-friendly (Picture in the URL above).

Wow Awesome! That works a treat even on the release version of Win 8 ...

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 06, 2012, 07:31:24 PMAlso, Metro can supposedly be killed by renaming shlsxs.dll in the system32 folder.

... however this doesn't seem to be true since the file doesn't exist on my version.

Keke

Ningey

Quote from: Kekerusey on September 23, 2012, 07:08:20 AM
Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on September 14, 2011, 02:54:27 PMlook here, it's Windows 8, it requires a lot, maybe because of the advanced technology

this is the same on Windows 7 too

Yeah, I tend to agree ... OS's evolve to exploit the latest typical hardware and most PC's these days come with at least 2, if not 4. Personally I wouldn't build (or buy) a PC with less than 8 these days. I have no real issues on it ... I'm using a PC with an i7, 16GB and a 240GB SSD C: drive (normal SATA D:) so Win 8/64 is no real problem. I reckon a system with Linux/KDE on it would probably have a similar footprint.

Keke

Tse, oe ke tsun mivllte.
I'm running Linux (32-bit SuSE 12.1, that is) with KDE on a single-core machine with only 1 GB (added 2 GB of swap, though), and it works like a charm. It only gets a bit crowded in memory when several large programs are open and running.
Could you do the same thing with Win 7 or Win 8? I guess not since at least 2 GB of memory are actually recommended...

"Sawtute ke tsun nivume - fo ke kerame!"
-- Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite

"There are two things that are infinite: Human stupidity and the universe. However, I'm not yet sure about the universe."
-- Albert Einstein

"He who gives up freedom for security deserves neither and loses both."
-- Benjamin Franklin

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Kekerusey on September 23, 2012, 02:41:42 PM
Quote from: Swoka Ikran on March 06, 2012, 07:31:24 PMAlso, Metro can supposedly be killed by renaming shlsxs.dll in the system32 folder.

... however this doesn't seem to be true since the file doesn't exist on my version.

Keke
They removed it in one of the betas. :(

There's numerous apps to switch to desktop automatically at login now though, and I remember seeing one that claimed to completely disable Metro for your current session. Odds are you'll need to replace it frequently though, since MS has been making an effort to eliminate such apps.

As for needing 3rd party apps to get something that used to be standard...if MS does what they did in the past with flops, they'll either rush 9 and extend 7's support, or release an update adding the legacy start menu to 8.
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Taronyu Leleioae

QuoteIn other news, I found a NeoSeeker post today saying that Stardock released an app which adds a Start Menu to Win8. It's Metro-ish, but looks much more desktop-friendly (Picture in the URL above).

Appreciated learning this.  Corporate wise, we'll stay on Windows 7 but some of my Exec's are already pestering me about Windows 8 since we have the licenses.  Now I can test out a Start Menu alternative until MS actually puts it back in with a hotfix...  Irayo!

Kekerusey

Quote from: Ningey on September 23, 2012, 04:54:16 PMI'm running Linux (32-bit SuSE 12.1, that is) with KDE on a single-core machine with only 1 GB (added 2 GB of swap, though), and it works like a charm. It only gets a bit crowded in memory when several large programs are open and running.

One must compare like with like don't you think? I'm talking 64Gb here ....

Quote from: Ningey on September 23, 2012, 04:54:16 PMCould you do the same thing with Win 7 or Win 8? I guess not since at least 2 GB of memory are actually recommended...

At the risk of starting a Windows/Linux flamewar here yeah ... netbooks seem typically to come 1GB memory so yeah I could run Win64 in 2GB. I wouldn't though but then I wouldn't run SuSE Linux/64 with the latest KDE in 1Gb either.

But then Windows would be my platform of choice because Linux is too dammed hard to use, to get support (virtually all Linux drivers are generic and some bits of kit aren't supported at all) and to run on the latest hardware (and trust me ... I HAVE tried). Ultimately, boring though it is (and I agree it is in many ways) I stick with Windows because I can actually do things on it, things that I can't do (or not without a great deal of effort) on Linux. This in no way comments on the effectiveness of Linux (or even Mac OS ... [SPIT!]) as operating systems simply on my relationship with them. IMO Linux PC is not ready for mainstream use, you need a certain kind of mindset to use it effectively and you almost always have to get "down and dirty" with it (by which I mean resort to things that simply aren't available at the desktop ... like it or loathe it Windows (and, despite my continued niggles with it, I suspect that includes Windows 8) is designed to be used by ordinary people and it does more-or-less what it says on the box.

But that's just my opinion, one I'm sure you'll absolutely reject but hey  ... each unto their own :)

Keke

Kekerusey

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on September 23, 2012, 05:20:22 PMThere's numerous apps to switch to desktop automatically at login now though, and I remember seeing one that claimed to completely disable Metro for your current session. Odds are you'll need to replace it frequently though, since MS has been making an effort to eliminate such apps.

Irayo ma oeya 'eylan :)

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on September 23, 2012, 05:20:22 PMAs for needing 3rd party apps to get something that used to be standard...if MS does what they did in the past with flops, they'll either rush 9 and extend 7's support, or release an update adding the legacy start menu to 8.

LOL! I think it's standard in the industry (any industry?) to laugh and say something like, I'll wait until version 1.1 isn't it? For Windows, it's "They'll get it right at SP1" or some such :)

To be fair to MS's latest baby I've largely got everything going (as I say above just a few niggles now) so I'm going to stick with it ... I'm in IT (server deployment) so it kinda goes with the territory to support/use Windows so I need to learn it and using it is probably the best way. It strikes me anyway that most people who really pour invective at Windows don't actually use Windows (a bit like me an and Apple since it's Apple themselves I have an issue with, LOL) but at least they're happy :)

Keke

Swoka Ikran

Well, the official launch is behind us :) Opinions were mixed based on a few news reports I read. Comments on articles seem to suggest it's split 50/50.

Some people like it, others hate it, with most who like it saying it's fun to use on a tablet/touch-screen PC, and has potential, especially when more apps are out. Those who hate it seem to be arguing a lack of usability with a mouse, missing start menu, and lost productivity (valid points for desktop users...).

So now I'm curious...is anyone here actually using 8? Looking through the past several pages of posts suggests most are not, but this topic is old and much has changed since the betas.

Also, a friend and me are conducting a survey on Win8. I was wondering if anybody here would be willing to participate. If so, please take it here.

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Swoka Ikran on October 27, 2012, 03:17:13 PM
Well, the official launch is behind us :) Opinions were mixed based on a few news reports I read. Comments on articles seem to suggest it's split 50/50.

Some people like it, others hate it, with most who like it saying it's fun to use on a tablet/touch-screen PC, and has potential, especially when more apps are out. Those who hate it seem to be arguing a lack of usability with a mouse, missing start menu, and lost productivity (valid points for desktop users...).

So now I'm curious...is anyone here actually using 8? Looking through the past several pages of posts suggests most are not, but this topic is old and much has changed since the betas.

Also, a friend and me are conducting a survey on Win8. I was wondering if anybody here would be willing to participate. If so, please take it here.

I took the survey :)
Didn't took a long time

Kekerusey

My 3 week sojourn with Windows 8 is over and I'm back on Windows 7.

Windows 8 is (I suppose) OK for the masses and I certainly think it has its strengths but I think MS's one-for-all interface strategy is deeply flawed. Metro would be fine for tablets and phones but it is just not right for a laptop or PC. As touchscreens become more common maybe but using keyboard and mouse it's just an irritation.

My tablet idea went down the pan too ... long story short the guy never sent it and refunded me, he said it was failing to charge and was in with the helpdesk; from the timing & paucity of communications I suspect someone else had been watching the auction and made a higher offer outside of eBay so that was disappointing, as I said elsewhere, I thought buying it and upgrading it sounded like fun.

But I've got the bug now ... I really want a Windows or Linux based tablet (a true PC tablet that I can do want I want with and afterwards, searching around the net I found a guy who'd made what he called a carbon-fibre tablet and that intrigued me. I like a proper operating system (Windows is what I'm good at but Linux is OK too), one I can install things on, do things with. I'm also not terribly into small; a 7" screen is fine for a Kindle (even then I rather like the Kindle DX which isn't available in the UK) but not so good for an Android tablet (10" is better) but 12" is better still IMO and since reading this (carbon-fibre tablet) article I have started to wonder if I could do something similar, perhaps even a bit bigger. I mean I love the idea of a touchscreen tablet but I would genuinely prefer a bigger tablet (even if it's a lot heavier) and, hell, it would be great fun to give it a try wouldn't it?

I'm not even sure I need to buy a PC because my daughter (Ska'ayu) has a somewhat poorly cared for 17" laptop, the screen is fine, the motherboard needs some work (probably have to resolder some USB ports but I think that might be doable). Windows 8 (even with the Metro interface) might work quite well on such a device.

In addition to that there's also the Raspberry Pi possibility ... I bought one of these when they first came out (with case, PSU & Debian SD boot cost less than £50), switched it on, thought, "That's nice" and never used it since. Maybe that could be adapted?

So that's where I'm at right now ... really excited at the possibility of building a tablet PC & researching possibilities.

Keke

Sìkat

Going against my better judgment, I installed Win8 on my netbook (Gateway LT4004u, 1gb RAM & 300gb HD, purchased late June 2012), because the upgrade was cheap ($20) and I was honestly curious to see how it worked in a memory-constrained environment. 

Anecdotally, performance is very similar to Windows 7, although I'm still reinstalling programs.  Interface-wise, Metro sucks if you're not on a phone or tablet, and the forced dichotomy of Metro vs. "Desktop" (i.e. legacy) is disgusting.  I get the feeling that Microsoft wants to flush the "Desktop" completely at some point.

If Microsoft is pushing for Metro to become ubiquitous, they've shot themselves in the head big-time with their 1024x768 minimum screen resolution requirement.  The netbook's native screen resolution is 1024x600, and all of the bundled Metro apps refuse to run, including the Windows Store.  I consider that a blessing, personally; the first program I installed on the thing after Windows 8 itself was Classic Shell, and I fully intend to buy that program's author a case of whatever caffeine or alcohol he wants. 

Tsmuktengan

Now it is sure : Windows 8 can run on an eeePC 701.  :P

Mine is equipped with a tactile screen. Yet, I have to change of SD card because the one I used is a 32gb Class 10, which uses sequential ways to acces the memory, instead of the usual Random Access Memory process to read/write data, which makes it slow as hell.

...but ti runs! Since it is has a very low resolution, I must find that registry key that allows downscaling the GUI for the Metro apps to run.

Vawmataw

I HAVE IIIIIIIIT!  :D

Windows 8 is good. We can see news, economics, weather and sports, check itineraries and emails and edit docs. It's much handier than other Windows.  ;)  :)
Fmawn Ta 'Rrta - News IN NA'VI ONLY (Discord)
Traducteur francophone de Kelutral.org, dict-navi et Reykunyu

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

Quote from: Kameyu a Kepekmì on January 13, 2013, 05:21:24 PM
I HAVE IIIIIIIIT!  :D

Windows 8 is good. We can see news, economics, weather and sports, check itineraries and emails and edit docs. It's much handier than other Windows.  ;)  :)

Good for you :)

Glad you like it.
I haven't tried W8 yet

Tsmuktengan

I've tried to use Windows 8 several times on exposed laptops and one of natural friend of mine. The GUI drives me mad: nit only I have the reflex of using arrows as if I was in a media center, since there is no tactile screen. Or I use keyboard shortcuts. But this so-call "Modern UI" is just too absurd for me. The only thing  can like is the fact the OS seems more optimized and lighter... But this is overshadowed by the counterintuitive UI, and the limited and limitations of the Windows 8 store (since the time Windows 8 has been out, the store is still empty). .

I won't give up Windows 7 yet, even though I could have a free licence for Windows 8 Professional. Both can do exactly the same thing, except the first one is for PC, and the second one for tablet. End. (personal opinion)

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Tsmuktengan on January 16, 2013, 05:41:42 PM
I won't give up Windows 7 yet, even though I could have a free licence for Windows 8 Professional. Both can do exactly the same thing, except the first one is for PC, and the second one for tablet. End. (personal opinion)
Couldn't have said it better myself. I also can get 8 for free but refuse to take advantage of it.

8 is great for tablets, but effectively a downgrade on any normal desktop or laptop.

Tsmuktengan

Actually, I've found something that may make me change my mind : Start8.

I guess that with this, my life under Windows 8 will finally be complete.  :)