Windows 8 (Not Beta)

Started by Kekerusey, September 23, 2012, 07:01:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kekerusey

So is anyone else running on Windows 8 (not just the beta version)?

I have MS Technet which is so worth £200/year for a family of 4 all of whom have their own PC's (and several laptops) but as much as anything for the fact that I work in IT (server deployment).

I bought a 240GB SSD this week (so I could fall back to my 120GB with Win 7 if necessary) & rebuilt my system with Windows 8 and Office 2013 (preview) ... so far not bad and I'm learning all the time. It was quite difficult to get the thing to activate and then to join my domain. I quite like the "glossy" feel to it but the "start bar" is irritating and I'm find it quite difficult (as in two many actions to get to) things like control panel and so on. Even shutdown seems to be a challenge (no. of clicks-wise) so for now I've created a "shutdown.cmd" file which (obviously) shuts the thing down.

One utility I use (CPU-Z) completely locked the system. Drivers are a bit of a problem but, niggles about ease-of-use aside, mostly it's quite cool!

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

Tsanten Eywa 'eveng

I have heard that they have now released a full version of Windows 8

I really wanna try out W8

But, is Windows 8 a very complicated OS?

I have heard many is complaining on Windows 8

Kekerusey

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on September 23, 2012, 11:35:47 AMI have heard that they have now released a full version of Windows 8

Guess so since I could download it from Technet ... not being sarcastic there, I am assuming exactly that since I wasn't even aware it had been launched until a couple of days ago.

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on September 23, 2012, 11:35:47 AMBut, is Windows 8 a very complicated OS?

Well, if past behavior is anything to go by, they will have designed it to be easier ... the question (for me) is have they succeeded? It identified all my PC's hardware with no issues (the older or more esoteric your hardware is the less chance of that happening I suppose). I was able to join it to my domain not so easily but that's unlikely to be an issue for most people. I was able to find my network laser printer using the original (Win 7) install disk unfortunately I have yet to figure how to connect to my all-in-one ink jet colour printer. So a bit of mixed bag in my opinion (more like a few niggles if you know what I mean?).

Quote from: Tsanten Eywa 'eveng on September 23, 2012, 11:35:47 AMI have heard many is complaining on Windows 8

I can see why although people always complain, they seem to like it ;D ... Windows 8 is different to Windows 7 but most of my issues with it seem to revolve around it being different/doing things differently and change is not necessarily a bad thing (nor obviously a good thing), I just assume they (MS) are at least TRYING to make it better than it was.

Ultimately, if you try Win 8 out, I think you have to accept it won't be quite the same and this early in the game I don't expect everyone to be able to get all the drivers for everything (like my network ink jet) ... whatever happens there's always a solution and I can always turn to my virtual Windows 7 or XP machines which I have got running on this system. I'm confident that MS are not (like some Linux people seem to think) evil and generally would like their product to sell so I assume they made that product reasonably well and eventually I WILL find out how to do the things I cant :)

All I can say to you my friend is try it ... I believe they do do a preview version and if you back up your current data reasonably carefully you should be OK :)

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)