Windows 8

Started by akiwiguy, June 03, 2011, 02:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akiwiguy

I has it. Problem, Microsoft?

That's Windows 8 Milestone 3, build 7955.

guest2859

Does it come with the Sliding Tiles start screen? That's something I want to see.

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Nargacuga on June 03, 2011, 10:29:37 AM
Does it come with the Sliding Tiles start screen? That's something I want to see.
Seconded. That's something I also would like to see...
2010 was the year of the Na'vi.Vivar 'ivong Na'vi!

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Tsäroltxe te Eyrutì Tantse'itan

I was just about to download that a few days ago! :D I can't wait.  ;D

akiwiguy

I don't think the version with the tiles has leaked yet...
But even without the tiles, it's great.

guest2859

I looked over the screenshot, and yeah, I would be afraid to test it because my computer ain't exactly 'legal', so double negative on me because I would misuse that. It is, but we know what the little purple wave icon is for.

akiwiguy

"little purple wave icon"?

Hell, my computer ain't very 'legal' either, in terms of what's on it.
(but let's leave that part of the conversation - we really shouldn't be discussing stuff like that on here)

guest2859

I bought the computer in full, but the Windows 7 install had a glitch that makes it think it's counterfeit, so I don't think Windows 8 would get on that smoothly either.

akiwiguy

It should be fine - just shove another hard drive in the machine and install Win8 on that. Then activate + unlock the hidden features with NoPill.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

I wouldn't recommend to install Windows 8 as Main OS just yet. At least not from my limited experiances from Win8 M1, which didn't work all to smoothly, mostly since the Activation failed..

akiwiguy

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on June 04, 2011, 06:19:49 AM
I wouldn't recommend to install Windows 8 as Main OS just yet. At least not from my limited experiances from Win8 M1, which didn't work all to smoothly, mostly since the Activation failed..

I'm using it as my main OS with no issues at all.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Well, the thing with Milestone OSes is that they're unfinished, and things like this may happen for no apparent reason:

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Sir. Haxalot on June 04, 2011, 08:27:33 AM
Well, the thing with Milestone OSes is that they're unfinished, and things like this may happen for no apparent reason:

Kind of expected with something that's not even an alpha. Bugs...and lots of them.

Avatray | NWOTD Sigbars | Sacred's Sigbar Tool | My collection of Avatar merchandise

Human No More

Windows 8 seems kind of pointless to me...
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Swoka Ikran

Quote from: Human No More on June 07, 2011, 11:45:07 AM
Windows 8 seems kind of pointless to me...
At this point, it does to me too. But then, we don't know the whole story about it yet. I wouldn't call it pointless until it's at least in beta. Give it some time and see what comes...

Currently, aside from yet another UI update and the tiles screen, it just looks like a version of Windows 7 that can also run on ARM-based systems.

akiwiguy

It feels faster to me.
There's apparently been a lot of under-the-hood stuff done, making it heaps faster.

DJ Makto

I hear Windows 8 is going to be the last operating system. Does that mean Microsoft knows something about 2012 that we don't know?  :o

guest2859

I think we better check the Mayan calender and make sure the last day doesn't have the Windows logo in it.

-----Edit-----

Just found this: http://msftkitchen.com/2010/04/ms-employee-leaks-plans-windows-9-to-be-voice-controlled-only.html

Human No More

Quote from: Nargacuga on June 08, 2011, 01:21:38 AM
I think we better check the Mayan calender and make sure the last day doesn't have the Windows logo in it.

-----Edit-----

Just found this: http://msftkitchen.com/2010/04/ms-employee-leaks-plans-windows-9-to-be-voice-controlled-only.html
Nobody will buy it then, unless they live alone.

"Open 'that' folder... oh, come on, you know the one I mean... no, close it, close it, close it. no, don't close that one."
Writing personal things would be even worse. Luckily, I'm 99.999999% certain that's a troll, but I know for a fact I would never buy such an OS.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Sіr. Ηaxalot

Quote from: Nargacuga on June 08, 2011, 01:21:38 AM

-----Edit-----

April 1st, 2010

I don't think that it's any truth in it ;)