FORTRAN
0 (0%)
Cobol
1 (4.2%)
Scheme
1 (4.2%)

Total Members Voted: 23

wm.annis

I'm sure I've omitted some from the list, but I think these are the biggies.

bommel

Definitely C/C++ (I've chosen C++) followd by C# and Java.

wm.annis

Quote from: bommel on July 11, 2010, 06:59:36 AM
Definitely C/C++ (I've chosen C++) followd by C# and Java.

It has always puzzled me how people write "C/C++" — they're such different languages.  C++ may just sit on top of C, but good C++ looks very little like good C if you step back a bit and aren't just looking at a single line of code.

It's a shame the polling system doesn't allow us to pick a few answers.  I'm most fond of Common Lisp — I've even written code it in other people use — but my day to day coding for work will be in Python, or more rarely C (I'm a Unix sysadmin).  I used to be a huge Perl user, but one day I took a look at something I was writing in Perl, realized it was disgusting and could not be made undisgusting, and thought, "there has to be a better way."  I switched to Python and haven't looked back.

bommel

Quote from: wm.annis on July 11, 2010, 07:08:48 AM
It has always puzzled me how people write "C/C++" — they're such different languages.  C++ may just sit on top of C, but good C++ looks very little like good C if you step back a bit and aren't just looking at a single line of code.
I just meant I can't decide between C and C++ because I like both (and work with both) ;)

Muzer

[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

wm.annis

Quote from: Muzer on July 11, 2010, 07:54:31 AM
You missed bash.

I'm sure I missed several.  On the other hand, though I use bash daily, I'm not sure I'd want to program anything very large in it.  Shells really are domain-specific languages, and I was aiming for something broader.

Muzer

Ah, I see.

(FWIW, I have actually made an AI client for an online tron server in bash when I was bored, to prove it can be done ;))
[21:42:56] <@Muzer> Apple products used to be good, if expensive
[21:42:59] <@Muzer> now they are just expensive

wm.annis

Quote from: Muzer on July 11, 2010, 08:53:20 AM(FWIW, I have actually made an AI client for an online tron server in bash when I was bored, to prove it can be done ;))

Well, if the language is Turing complete, you can use it to accomplish whatever another language can accomplish.  The bigger question is, would you want to? ;)

bommel

Quote from: wm.annis on July 11, 2010, 09:15:13 AM
Well, if the language is Turing complete, you can use it to accomplish whatever another language can accomplish.  The bigger question is, would you want to? ;)
I can code some stuff in x86 asm but it's rather pain in the ass -> I don't want to ;)

Kemaweyan

My favorite programming language is C ::) But also I write in C++ and PHP.
Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Kä'eng

C and Python for me. I use C if I need:

• To distribute the program to other people. I hate it when a program forces me to download a big runtime along with it, which is usually a couple orders of magnitude larger than the program itself. (.NET is the worst offender, as not only is it enormous, but every program demands a different version!) Per the koren a'awve tìruseyä 'awsiteng, I refuse to inflict this on others.
  • Performance
  • A GUI (never bothered to learn Tcl/Tk)
Ma evi, ke'u ke lu prrte' to fwa sim tuteot ayawne.
Slä txo tuteo fmi 'ivampi ngat ro seng, fu nìfya'o, a 'eykefu ngati vä', tsakem ke lu sìltsan.
Tsaw lu ngeyä tokx! Kawtu ke tsun nìmuiä 'ivampi ngat txo ngal ke new tsakemit.
Ha kempe si nga? Nì'awve, nga plltxe san kehe. Tsakrr, ngal tsatsengti hum!

Puvomun

Old person here. I chose Cobol. I almost grew up with it and wrote many miles of code in it. Still do at times, b.t.w.

I also write in C, C++, C#, Java, and most of that modern stuff.
I used to write Algol, Fortran, PL/1, RPG and the odd bit of assembler.
Bash is a must. ;-)
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

Sіr. Ηaxalot

My favorite is C# (.NET), but I use a lot of PHP (for all web) and C++/Qt when I need to go multiplatform. The biggest downside of .NET is the lack of official support for any other platform than Windows imo.

I'm thinking of testing ASP.NET in an upcoming project, much depending on if I can hack my way past all of the automatically generated code (which I think is possible mha ASP.NET MVC).

Nusumea Tirea

Also an old person here  ;) (I had to learn Fortran and Cobol but don't use them).
My favourite at the moment is perl.
But which language I use, depends on what I want to do with it. And I really collected some during the last 20 years. If I'm playing with microprocessors I prefer assembler to C / C++. If I have to write somesting with a GUI really fast at work (Windows only) I use .NET (C# or Basic) because the runtimes are already there. For SAP Systems I have to use Java and Abap.

Puvomun

Quote from: Nusumea Tirea on July 11, 2010, 02:41:37 PM
Also an old person here  ;) (I had to learn Fortran and Cobol but don't use them).
*grin* Still a lot of Cobol going on on mainframes...
Krr a lì'fya lam sraw, may' frivìp utralit.

Ngopyu ayvurä.

bommel

Quote from: Nusumea Tirea on July 11, 2010, 02:41:37 PM
If I have to write somesting with a GUI really fast at work (Windows only) I use .NET (C# or Basic) because the runtimes are already there.
I really like Visual Studio's GUI builder! It's really uncomplicated to build a GUI and I also like the .Net platform a lot :)

hawnuyuna'viyä

Scheme definitely!
All the parentheses of lisp :) (but with some pre-made functions).

The one I use the most though has to be C++.

Kemaweyan

Nìrangal frapo tsirvun pivlltxe nìNa'vi :D

Kekerusey

I have, in the past, programmed in APL, fortran, pascal, basic, visual basic, C, C+, REXX and some others (including some significant DB programming such as FOXPRO) and the best programming language (for me) is Python.

Keke
Kekerusey (Not Dead [Undead])
"Keye'ung lu nì'aw tì'eyng mì-kìfkey lekye'ung :)"
Geekanology, UK Atheist &
The "Science, Just Science" Campaign (A Cobweb)

wm.annis