BayCon 2013!

Started by `Eylan Ayfalulukanä, May 25, 2013, 02:56:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Despite being limited to just one day, I plan to be at BayCon this year, on Sunday, May 26th. If anyone else from the Bay are is planning to attend, we could do lunch or something like that, together.

There is a panel on creating science fiction languages at 4 PM Sunday, featuring Juliette Wade, and David peterson. As many know here, David has created the Dothraki and Valyrian languages (which LearnNavi generously supports!) for HBO's 'Game of Thrones' series.  David has also created the Castithan and Irathient languages for SyFy's 'Defiance'.

Hope to see some of you there! Just look for my Na'vi name on my badge. You can also email me 'on my palulukan' at [email protected]

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

What a pleasant surprise!

I write this evening from my room at the 'Avatar Hotel' (Really!) in Santa Clara California. The easiest way to describe the hotel's location is to say it is between the world headquarters of Yahoo and McAffe! The hotel is (unfortunately) not Na'vi/Pandora themed, but rather high tech themed (And I can recommend it as a nice, reasonably-priced place to stay in Santa Clara).

Completely unannounced, community member Omängum Fra'uti and his wife Jennifer surprised me by coming to the Science Fiction Language Creation panel at BayCon 2013 in Santa Clara, CA. They, along with the 40 or so other people in the room, participated in a very interesting panel on creating languages for science fiction or fantasy stories and movies/TV. The panel consisted of David Peterson (of Dothraki/Valyrian/Castithan/Irathient fame), writer/linguist Juliette Wade, and a third person who is a television producer/writer. It was a lively and interesting discussion that covered everything from vowel harmony to communication by urine odor.

After the panel, Omängum and Jennifer were invited to join David, myself, and two members of the Dothraki community who live in the Bay Area for dinner. We ended up eating at a restaurant that served Chinese dumplings and other tasty things. We finished our evening together at a Chinese pastry shop, where we enjoyed 'egg pastry' while playing a couple rounds of the card game 'Fluxx'. It was an exceptionally enjoyable night, and capped off what has been the most enjoyable day of 2013 so far!

Here's a picture of (L to R) Jennifer, Omängum Fra'uti and David Peterson, taken while we were waiting for our food to arrive.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]