Burning Man - Aug 30 - Sept 6, 2010

Started by judytuna, June 07, 2010, 06:59:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judytuna

Burning Man isn't really a convention, but it isn't quite a meetup either. And it is sort of a real-life tribe, and sort of about costuming and art and self-expression, and maybe also off-topic. Anyway, I didn't know where to put this, but I was just wondering if anyone from learnna'vi was going this year. I've never been, but my boyfriend has; we're considering going this year. The theme for 2010 is Metropolis, which is actually pretty relevant to the world of Avatar fandom since many of us are drawn to the idea of a Pandora to save us from a SimuSEX-tastic dystopian future, right? Hahaha.

Anyone? =)

Let's all go and build a Kelutral shade structure complete with hammocks and a loom. Let's decorate our bicycles so that they look like ayikran. Let's bring drums and replicas of the blue flute (which no Avatar or human has ever seen, so we'd have to make guesses). Let's make AMP suits out of cardboard and tsko swizaw out of real wood and we can learn hunt songs and put beads in our hair. Haha. I can dream, right? All this coming from someone who isn't even sure if she's going yet. Dream(walk) with me. =)

omängum fra'uti

If there's going to be a LN contingent there, count me in!  I haven't managed to make it to burning man, but have always wanted to.  Having an excuse to go and a uniting theme may just be the push I'd need! :D

I don't have much to offer at the moment, but I could bring along an airbrush and low pressure compressor for painting people who wish blue.  The airbrush has only ever been used for cosmetics and other non toxic uses, and I know where to get some airbrush makeup that won't come off with sweating or water.

Edit: The airbrush makeup I've gotten in the past is a bit pricey, about 3-4x the cost of other stuff.  Maybe $50ish for a full body cover.  But looking at various websites about the subject, it has the staying power to last the full week of burning man, with only little touch ups.  I certainly believe it, when I used it before I made it two days EASILY with no touch ups.  And I didn't skip showers or anything like that.
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

That would be a really interesting way to do Burning Man!

For me, this is a 'local' event, but still a big undertaking to attend. Nevertheless, I have wanted to do this, and like Omängum, been looking for that little push to get me to go. I know a lot of veteran folks here in Reno who could help me with getting properly set up.

Last year, I went up to the Black Rock Desert to attend a 'Friends of the Black Rock Desert' event and do some astronomy for them. I also attended a model rocket launch, and saw how sophisticated this hobby has become. I fell in love with the place, and Burning man or no, plan to return this year.

Omängum, can you share with us more about your makeup source?

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

omängum fra'uti

I've posted about it in the costuming forum before.  It's by Michael Davy.

Teyl Maktoyu Ayfìwopxä

And exactly where does this take place?

omängum fra'uti

Txur’Itan

Burning man is pretty hard core.

The Nevada desert is not forgiving.

Click on the survival guides.
私は太った男だ。

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: Txur'Itan on June 08, 2010, 08:43:50 PM
Burning man is pretty hard core.

The Nevada desert is not forgiving.

Click on the survival guides.

You are very correct. 'Doing' Burning Man is not a trivial undertaking. One of the goals of Burning Man is learning self-reliance in a rather inhospitable environment. So, if anyone is seriously considering doing this, make sure you have thoroughly researched what is involved.

That said, I am still interested, and would be happy to offer my place as a staging point for those coming in from the west. I have plenty of room to set up camp for a night, and give everyone a chance to test their preparations. This will also allow folks to top off on water, ice, yerik or, whatever they may need. You can also do your body painting there, where you will have a comfortable place to do it. Then, we can travel from there to the Black Rock Desert as a group, which makes the sometimes long drive (due to backed-up traffic-- I have seen traffic backed up to Wadsworth before on opening day.) more bearable.

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]