Phoenix ComiCon Panel

Started by ExLibrisMortis, March 11, 2010, 06:13:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Tsufätu Ayioangä

Hey I may or may not be going to this and if I do go I will be volunteering.  I'm not really sure what use this knowledge could be to you seeing as I've never volunteered or hosted a booth at a con before but I will definitely show up and say hi if I can go!

ExLibrisMortis

UPDATE:

PLEASE CHECK THE FRONT PAGE!!!!

AYYYYYYYYYY AY AY AYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

KO! EXLIB!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on March 16, 2010, 04:58:00 AMSo, it seems that we are a go, I repeat, we are a KÄ! PLEASE! I am still looking for suggestions on what will/can be done in the space of this hour. Any all suggestion will be considered![/spoiler]

If it were me...

"What started out as a set of forums to discuss the elements of the Na'vi language has evolved into a gathering place for Avatar fans to discuss various aspects of the movie, an the layers of implications it presents to the public. We have 4,000 permemant members and several thousand guests every month.

Learnnavi.org is a watering hole, where fans from all genres of movies come to discuss philosophy, costuming, technology, as well as the language itself.

Topics:

The Na'vi language. Basic vocab, basic grammatical structure (how it works, with examples and common phrases). Point to LN for further instruction. Mention all of the learning tools: Main dictionary, rhyming dictionary, activity book, computer software ("Tree of Voices," the dictionary program that lets you type in a few letters and it find the word(s) you are looking for, Grammar Worksheets, and so on). Note that all of these have developed within the first three months of Avatar's release. By Halloween (when everyone is in costume) there should be extensive support, and several thousand more words.

Costuming. Talk about the basics of costuming, and how to achieve amazing effects on a budget. Have photographs of people who have done fantastic work. Have links to the best intrcutional videos we have here.

Philosophy: Light overview on how the Na'vi are an inclusive society, who welcome people--until the humans started clear-cutting their home and slash/burning eveyrthing in sight (note at the beginning of the movie how Hell's Gate was a major source of polution). Quick intro to Na'vi communalism and the closeness of their tribes--how they generally support each other. They are a very friendly people.

Any props/examples of their weapons, tools, costumes.

RDA technology, backstory on Earth, problems with two competing philosophies who just don't get each other.

How to roast a colonel (what spices to use, how to find anything edible under all that gristle and bone)

Just some thots . . .
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on March 16, 2010, 10:04:16 AM
How to roast a colonel (what spices to use, how to find anything edible under all that gristle and bone)

Hahah! That line made my day! Irayo ma 'eylan! I hope that you'll come to the ComiCon so that we can finally meat... eummm... meet ;D

Txur’Itan

• The Panel should invite Paul Frommer.
  • I think I am going to plan to attend this.
  • If you like, I will participate in the panel, but IANAL.  At the very least, I can MC.
  • If Paul does not Show, the forum could degenerate into a chaotic social gathering, but that is not necessarily a bad thing.
  • If we are going to discuss Language analysis, I would prefer to point them in the direction of specific forum members, which if the persons asking are also Linguists, may already know these people, or might even be one of them incognito.
  • I would like to suggest the following topics.

• Discussions about the future of LearnNavi and Paul Frommers blog.
    • The pseudo culture of Costuming and Photo Manipulations, with a slide show, this could be fun with comentary.
    • The Language related projects on the forum.  Shakespeare on Eywa'eveng.
    • The gathering storm of Fandom, and what it may mean for us as a community to move forward on something that gets more of us together for meet ups in the future.
    • Any of the above can include some Q&A, but we should be prepared to limit time on everything, if there is only an hour for the room.
    • Show the translated trailer on a projector to inspire more translation projects from the comunity.
私は太った男だ。

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: Txur'Itan on March 16, 2010, 04:24:22 PM

• If you like, I will participate in the panel, but IANAL.  At the very least, I can MC.
You're not going to help me with Baycon if they do something too? :P
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

Show the translated trailer on a projector to inspire more translation projects from the comunity.

I'm going to bring an iPad with a custom designed app to show various videos of our stuff to the people.

ExLibrisMortis

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on March 16, 2010, 10:04:16 AM
Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on March 16, 2010, 04:58:00 AMSo, it seems that we are a go, I repeat, we are a KÄ! PLEASE! I am still looking for suggestions on what will/can be done in the space of this hour. Any all suggestion will be considered![/spoiler]

If it were me...

"What started out as a set of forums to discuss the elements of the Na'vi language has evolved into a gathering place for Avatar fans to discuss various aspects of the movie, an the layers of implications it presents to the public. We have 4,000 permemant members and several thousand guests every month.

Learnnavi.org is a watering hole, where fans from all genres of movies come to discuss philosophy, costuming, technology, as well as the language itself.

Topics:

The Na'vi language. Basic vocab, basic grammatical structure (how it works, with examples and common phrases). Point to LN for further instruction. Mention all of the learning tools: Main dictionary, rhyming dictionary, activity book, computer software ("Tree of Voices," the dictionary program that lets you type in a few letters and it find the word(s) you are looking for, Grammar Worksheets, and so on). Note that all of these have developed within the first three months of Avatar's release. By Halloween (when everyone is in costume) there should be extensive support, and several thousand more words.

Costuming. Talk about the basics of costuming, and how to achieve amazing effects on a budget. Have photographs of people who have done fantastic work. Have links to the best intrcutional videos we have here.

Philosophy: Light overview on how the Na'vi are an inclusive society, who welcome people--until the humans started clear-cutting their home and slash/burning eveyrthing in sight (note at the beginning of the movie how Hell's Gate was a major source of polution). Quick intro to Na'vi communalism and the closeness of their tribes--how they generally support each other. They are a very friendly people.

Any props/examples of their weapons, tools, costumes.

RDA technology, backstory on Earth, problems with two competing philosophies who just don't get each other.

Just some thots . . .

You know, I really like this. Instead of just focusing on just the language, change it to somthing that anyone can relate to. Although I would still have the main focus on the website, I think opening it up to all ends of the fandom would allow us to get even more interest... I am definitely considering this.

Txur’Itan

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 16, 2010, 05:22:22 PM

I am on the fence, no one said they wanted me anywhere.  Frankly you are the first to ask me to come to anything...
私は太った男だ。

ExLibrisMortis

Quote from: Txur'Itan on March 19, 2010, 07:43:28 PM
Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 16, 2010, 05:22:22 PM

I am on the fence, no one said they wanted me anywhere.  Frankly you are the first to ask me to come to anything...

Well, if my say is worth anything, I say go help him at BayCon. I have a few people taht have said they will already be coming and I'd love both projets, and LearnNavi.org as a whole, benefit from all these as much as it can. If we can have the ebst experiences possible at both places, think of the membership influx. Awesome. And plus, if it helps you financially, then do that too. I don't want people to be put out of place because of this.

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on March 19, 2010, 07:04:10 PM
You know, I really like this. Instead of just focusing on just the language, change it to somthing that anyone can relate to. Although I would still have the main focus on the website, I think opening it up to all ends of the fandom would allow us to get even more interest... I am definitely considering this.
That would certainly draw a more general crowd in, riding the publicity coattails of Avatar...  Esp with their DVD release a month earlier and coming theatrical re-release.

Quote from: Txur'Itan on March 19, 2010, 07:43:28 PM
To be fair, so far I haven't gotten anything anywhere close to committal in response to the suggestion, so Baycon may be just running around slapping up "LearnNavi" fliers all over the place.

(BTW ExLib, trying to get some "official" LN.org material you can paste up anywhere you have a wall and tape there, will let you know.  It will likely be a monthish before anything has been created though.  And yes, it'll include somewhere to include when & where for your panel.)

ExLibrisMortis

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on March 19, 2010, 08:19:55 PM

(BTW ExLib, trying to get some "official" LN.org material you can paste up anywhere you have a wall and tape there, will let you know.  It will likely be a monthish before anything has been created though.  And yes, it'll include somewhere to include when & where for your panel.)

Lol, stupid moment for me. I may just not be reading this well enough but I am totally missing what you are saying. I think what you are saying is to get a flier and post it everywhere and anywhere i can? And that you guys are making one, but it'll take a month to make? Am i anwywhere near what you are saying?

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Okay, so I am at a con. I see "ooh! Na'vi" or maybe I am even dumber than that. I see "Avatar." Now I am interested. I have no idea there is a "LearnNavi.org." I figured the movie was great, I have seen it a few times, and this sounds interesting. I would think that describes a "casual fan," and my ideas were to drag them into the web (of super-fandom) as they are generally fans enough to go to a con, or even if it is their first Comicon.

I DON'T KNOW.

Would you expect 70% of the attendees to speak Na'vi? 80%? What percentage of the attendees are aware that there is an Avatar community? If you can guess at the demographics, you can tailor the presentation. I am "guessing" most con attendees will know all about Star Trek, and maybe some Spiderman, but not know a lot about Na'vi (the language), na'vi (the people, their culture, philosophy on life, general attitudes toward nature), or much about Avatar--mush less about LN. I may be completely off base. Phx Comicon may be home of the Avatar superfan, with founders of Avatar websites we have never heard of, or in-person LARPs. My suggestions have always been geared to the mainstream, to drag people in closer. Whatever happens, someone needs to get the pulse of the average con-goer's Na'vi attention span, NavQ, tolerance level for new languages in general, interest in the language, and excitement about Na'vi (people) in general. This will help plan for future cons.

Srak?
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

omängum fra'uti

Quote from: ExLibrisMortis on March 19, 2010, 09:05:03 PM
Lol, stupid moment for me. I may just not be reading this well enough but I am totally missing what you are saying. I think what you are saying is to get a flier and post it everywhere and anywhere i can? And that you guys are making one, but it'll take a month to make? Am i anwywhere near what you are saying?
I don't know how the Phoenix ComiCon does it, but most cons I've been two, people put little fliers all over the place.  There's sometimes boards specifically for that sort of thing, but they end up other places as well.  And yes, I poked Sxkawng about making one, it's not that it will take a month, it's just that he won't get a chance to do it for a month.

Ok guys, I'd like to know if any one of you already bought their tickets for the convention and if anyone would be willing to host me during a couple of days. As you might already know, I'm going to Phoenix by plane and this alone is already costing me quite a bit.

I'm also planning on getting an Avatar makeup ready for this so I'd love to have some little help there to put it on and remove it afterward.

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

As said in posts around the site, I can't help ya there cause of my parents.  wish I could though.
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.

It's alright, I'm sure someone will do it. After all, it's not like I'm a criminal or something... well... I dissected a frog once... and that's about it :P

Tsuksìm atsawl (KaPTan)

Quote from: Kawazoe on April 04, 2010, 10:23:51 PM
It's alright, I'm sure someone will do it. After all, it's not like I'm a criminal or something... well... I dissected a frog once... and that's about it :P

lol.  how can we know this?(dun dun dun!)

hmmm, I just might, with an inkling of hope, be able to do it if no one else can... would have to concoct a mighty fine lie though.
Also a member of the podcast known as Avatar Nation.  Come listen to our stuff! like us on facebook and chech out our blog at Avatar-Nation.net.