BayCon - May 28-31 - CA/SF Bay Area

Started by omängum fra'uti, December 26, 2009, 02:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feiane

I hereby proclaim that BayCon is delicious  :D

Click >> fìtsenge << to learn about a na'vi nì'aw game I'm hosting in a week or two. Please join!

omängum fra'uti

Dunno if anyone from this forum will actually be making it, but I'll be there Friday singing karaoke in Na'vi. :D
Ftxey lu nga tokx ftxey lu nga tirea? Lu oe tìkeftxo.
Listen to my Na'vi Lessons podcast!

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on May 15, 2010, 01:52:14 AM
The programming is up, it's 10 am Sunday.  See the first message for full details.  For locals that want to pop by for the day, it's something like $20ish for a one day membership.

Dang!! Can't make it on Sunday  :'( Or Friday, either  :'( Any chance either of these will be recorded?

Yawey ngahu!
pamrel si ro [email protected]

omängum fra'uti

So to draw people in for Sunday, I decided to make up a bunch of silly fliers for the halls.  6 in total.  All of them have a QR code to download the current beta of the Android dictionary app (With an avatarized version of the Android logo in front of it to clue people in), and they each feature a different picture, the words "Ever wonder how to say in Na'vi", and then an English phrase and Na'vi translation.

Will the owner of the blue ikran parked out front please move it, it is eating the guests.
Ma tute a ngaru lu eana ikran a tserurokx eo fìtsenge, rutxe pot 'ivärìp, pol ayfrrtuti yerom.
(Pictures an ikran snatching away a marine in the battle)

It's only a flesh wound.
Tsaw nì'aw tìsraw ta'lengä lu.
(Pictures Quaritch with two broomstick sized arrows sprouting from his chest)

Size doesn't matter.
Hì'i, tsawl, fì'u ke tsranten.
(Pictures Neytiri holding human Jake)

What is the answer to life, the universe, and everything?
Peu lu tì'eyng tìreyä, kifkeyä nìwotx, fra'uäsì?
(Pictures Mo'at looking all shamanly)

Speak softly, ride a big dangerous creature.
Pivlltxe nì'ango, mivakto tsawla ioangit lehrrap.
(Pictures Jake landing toruk at the gathered Omatikaya)

I see you.
Oel ngati kameie.
(Pictures a gun turret from Portal - this one will go in the game room)

If anyone has any more cheeky ideas I can add to the list, making more is easy, just let me know the phrase and picture. :)

Txur’Itan

Looks like some excellent quote-ables!
私は太った男だ。

omängum fra'uti

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

Oe holawl oeyä pa`li lefngap. Silpey ne tsive`a frapo trray.

Yawey ngahu!

omängum fra'uti

And now I'm hanging out on pandora (or a room party decorated as such)  and I taught them how to say "welcome" in Na'vi

omängum fra'uti

Well I had a blast at Baycon!  Aside from the two Na'vi and the Pandora room party, I had some interesting conversations with a few linguists because they saw my Na'vi shirt.  I gave basic Na'vi lessons (poorly, sadly, as I was a little *cough* hung over from the night before) to a group of about 15 on Sunday morning.  Ran into a couple forum members, and hopefully got a few new members.  (Hi if you're one of said people!)

Txur’Itan

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on June 02, 2010, 04:45:44 PM
Well I had a blast at Baycon!  Aside from the two Na'vi and the Pandora room party, I had some interesting conversations with a few linguists because they saw my Na'vi shirt.  I gave basic Na'vi lessons (poorly, sadly, as I was a little *cough* hung over from the night before) to a group of about 15 on Sunday morning.  Ran into a couple forum members, and hopefully got a few new members.  (Hi if you're one of said people!)

Sounds like you had a pretty successful run at Bay-Con.
私は太った男だ。

omängum fra'uti

Amusing anecdote that was lost on all present...

I was in the Pandora party, and a klingon stepped in.  I shouted out "Fayvrrtep fìtsenge lu kxanì"

Txur’Itan

Quote from: omängum fra'uti on June 02, 2010, 08:33:23 PM
Amusing anecdote that was lost on all present...

I was in the Pandora party, and a klingon stepped in.  I shouted out "Fayvrrtep fìtsenge lu kxanì"

HAHAHAHAHAA!
私は太った男だ。

`Eylan Ayfalulukanä

I was one of those forum member who attended, and I thought Omängum did a nice job. It was an interesting experience-- some people were just casually interested. Other were more interested, and asked good questions. One person was almost literally writing down every word that was said. The rest of the day ws a lot of fun as well, attending chain maille and falconry demonstrations (got buzzed by a Harris Hawk three times!). All in all, a very worthwhile trip.

I will post a couple of pictures as soon as I get the film developed.

One thing I learned while tere is the Worldcon-- the World Science Fiction convention comes to Reno in August, 2011. Already working on ideas for a Na`vi and a Narnia panel for that con.

Yawey ngahu!