2012 Seattle Meetup Clan Cosplay

Started by Sarah Noel, July 14, 2011, 01:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fiyerwall (Txepkxemyo)

Oh we do have airbrushers? I thought we didn't. Ok yeah, the meeting room probably wouldn't be the place to paint especially if it's carpeted. Y'know I'm still finding little schmutzes of paint from Halloween? LOL. Although in June we did manage to get Wade's buttprint off the seat  ;D tho it would be harder getting paint off of carpet. Best not to risk it.

If I recall correctly, Txona, I think I managed to get his buttprint off with some help from Diet Coke, spit and my own butt.  ;D  I think you were on the floor hyperventilating from laughter.

Good times.  :)

When you see nothing, you see everything.
There's a picture of me on Laz Alonso's phone next to James Cameron's phone number. HELL YEAH!!

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: Fiyerwall on May 14, 2012, 08:55:05 PM
Oh we do have airbrushers? I thought we didn't. Ok yeah, the meeting room probably wouldn't be the place to paint especially if it's carpeted. Y'know I'm still finding little schmutzes of paint from Halloween? LOL. Although in June we did manage to get Wade's buttprint off the seat  ;D tho it would be harder getting paint off of carpet. Best not to risk it.

Me too! If I look closely around my shower there are still little schmutzes LOL  ;D And yes, we still have Candace with her airbrushes :)

Quote from: Fiyerwall on May 14, 2012, 08:55:05 PM
If I recall correctly, Txona, I think I managed to get his buttprint off with some help from Diet Coke, spit and my own butt.  ;D  I think you were on the floor hyperventilating from laughter.

Good times.  :)

Yeah I remember you cleaning the seat with your butt.....before I collapsed with laughter  ;D ;D ;D Good times indeed

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Fiyerwall (Txepkxemyo)

There will be many more to come!  ;D
When you see nothing, you see everything.
There's a picture of me on Laz Alonso's phone next to James Cameron's phone number. HELL YEAH!!

Tompa'Ivong

"peu to fwa tskxefa ayuti ska'a lu sìltsan? Tskxe a kllkxem ulte fpi nga ayuti ska'a.
—Toggo, goblin weaponsmith

Ikxeru

can't wait either...

Just a few questions:
Actually I have attended to meetups before of course, but all located in my country.
Anyway: There was never any problem cosplaying right from the start till it's end. - And this is indeed what I am planning to do in Seattle as well.

But I wonder, if this could be a prob with our meetup location. How will the staff react, when I (we) will walk around there all days?

Have we booked the entire location? Or are there other hotel guests that could be insulted in any way?
I've never done this before in another counrty... And as I am a guest to the US I don't want to offend anyone.

At the moment I am not sure if I asked that before, and this question is related to the other... *errr*
Howfar is it legal to walk around in the City of Seattle if I look like I do here. Or will the cops come and snatch me away?

(Which is funny to think about: being brought to a secret location and being questioned by the FBI and some medics carrying books of alien anatomy :D  lol
Emm,  that's not funny: I don't have to have that in RL. :)
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

ToktorGrace

Hi! I'm really last minute.. I'm debating trying to join you all and paint myself blue! I just put up pictures of what I have thus far, and I'd love some opinions.

At the moment I'm debating between going full-on Na'vi or just dressing as an Avatar Scientist. I have make up for my face/chest/arms but it'll take me forever.. I'm also debating buying a body suit and painting it ahead of time.

The costume (and me being silly) without any paint:

EDIT: @Ikxeru: I am not sure what Seattle's laws on indecency are, but I know that in SF you're allowed to walk around nude with no repercussions so long as you are not being lewd. Usually police aren't as likely to arrest you as they would be to tell you to cover up if it is an issue.  If I recall correctly, the hotel itself isn't entirely ours, so there will likely be some other guests around.  I was not present for the previous meet-up but if you look at pictures of the cosplayers you can get an idea of how much skin they exposed while in public/at hotel.  Aside from legalese, it probably depends on your own comfort levels.

I hope your flight to the US isn't too bad :)
Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

I speak Na'vi with a French accent...

Ikxeru

Kalxì ma ToktorGrace,
Well, well, so you have to bear my appearance. :)   I'll blame it to you, if something happens to me. lol.

And.. of course you should join and show your true skin color. I believe there is nothing that should keep you away. :)
I mean, I am doing it. So I guess, everyone can do it as well.

Quote from: ToktorGrace on June 29, 2012, 10:15:06 AM
At the moment I'm debating between going full-on Na'vi or just dressing as an Avatar Scientist. I have make up for my face/chest/arms but it'll take me forever.. I'm also debating buying a body suit and painting it ahead of time.

Painting time is an issue, if you just want to be painted for one day, you might be confronted with the problem of painting for some hours. That's why I will arrive nearly fully painted (except for face and arms because of the official security checks at the airport as I fly from SFO to SEA on the day the meetup starts).

Maybe you consider being painted by the airbrusher? Just 2 hours for a complete make-up and you are ready to go!
Or you'll find someone, who can help you and vice versa. Being painted is a lot faster than painting yourself.

Quote from: ToktorGrace on June 29, 2012, 10:15:06 AM
I hope your flight to the US isn't too bad :)
Thanks. this will be my longest flight ever. I don't like the idea of being on a plane for 12 hours. :(
Especially the flight back will cause an extreme jet lag to me. And one day after arrival back in Germany the EuroAvatar starts in Berlin. ^^  I will be the lonesome night guard at the firepits. :D

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

ToktorGrace

Quote from: Ikxeru on June 29, 2012, 11:48:40 AM
Kalxì ma ToktorGrace,
Well, well, so you have to bear my appearance. :)   I'll blame it to you, if something happens to me. lol.

Do bear in mind that laws are different in different cities - but I know Seattle is relatively "free-thinking", so I suspect you'll be fine so long as nothing too private is showing. I'd try to find a source for the city-ordinances though if you're concerned.

Im thinking about trying to find a partial or full body suit to pain at home before I ship out.. I am tempted to get the body-paint done, but given how late I am to the game I don't want to make things difficult for anyone.

Who can I contact about bodypaint?

Miracles are not contrary to nature, but only contrary to what we know about nature.  - St. Augustine

Ikxeru

Ma Grace, I have found the Seattle 911 blog that will give examples of public nuidity considered as a crime...
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattle911/2010/01/06/when-is-public-nudity-considered-a-crime/

As the Na'vi don't have much clothes on, but aren't completly nude, I guess everything will be fine.

I'd love to help you with the paint, but unfortunally I can't do much from here.
Did you think about contacting Candace? Look here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/2012-meetup/painter-for-the-cosplayers!/

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto)

Seattle, like pretty much all the West Coast cities, is very free thinking. Example: Last year they did a ballot vote to fly the rainbow flag on the Space Needle... barely won but won none-the-less. They TOOK DOWN the American Flag at the top and raised the rainbow flag. Personally I found it offensive that they removes the Stars and Stripes, but heck. Those are the rights we veterans granted our citizens.

THAT SAID: Ikxeru should most definitely be fine. A loincloth covers the berries. Besides, I think there will be more marveling at seeing blue people, than offense should anything becomes 'exposed' for whatever reason.

Maybe finding the correct solution or solvent to have handy for things like chairs and glass, to make cleanup easier? Agreed, carpet would not be good, nor bedding and I am told someone did destroy a comforter with their body paint last year.

If WE show respect in this group to the overall city of Seattle and its businesses and citizens, then they will welcome us back for later meets.

My two cents.

"He who destroys a good book kills reason itself." -John Milton

"Mathematics is the gate and key to the sciences." -Roger Bacon

"There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance." -Socrates

mikkowilson

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto Sezeyä) on June 29, 2012, 03:06:14 PMA loincloth covers the berries.

AHAHAHA   ;D ;D ;D

Ikxeru:
The hotel is not ours exclusively. So we won't be up all night drumming around the fire in the lobby and will otherwise need to be generally respectful of other guests. Based on what I saw last year, no one had an issue at the (different) hotel or elsewhere in town with Sarah or Wade:

Just make sure your covered as you would be to a public swimming pool and you'll be fine. The paint (and rest of the costume) also give you a "reason" to be so skimpy, which goes a long way in acceptance.

Important note:
If you are using a paint that wipes off (like a basic water based paint), it is your responsibility to make sure that you don't leave blue marks on everything you touch and everywhere you sit.

Last year, this was a problem we wish to avoid:

Easy solution: Always know where your towel is. :)

And cosplayers note: The EMP Museum does not allow weapons inside; and prop bows count. So you'll need to leave them at the hotel (across the street) when going inside the EMP.

Also, Ikxeru: Have you considered simply staying in your costume through AvatarMeet AND EuroAvatar without washing off in between to travel? Because I think that would count as the definition of epic.

ToktorGrace:
Your costume does look a little silly without the paint. :)
I think the general recommendation is to have as many people as possible paint up if they've got the skills.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Extended meets without washing, multiple flights and time zone travel, without washing? That does not count as epic. That counts as PEEE-EWWWW.

Like I said, Seattle is generally a forgiving city when it comes to people 'expressing' themselves.

Paint DOES cover much.

Examples: YouTube

Youtube Avatar 640x360.mov

ToktorGrace

QuoteDid you think about contacting Candace? Look here: http://forum.learnnavi.org/2012-meetup/painter-for-the-cosplayers!/

I did look over that thread briefly, I will definitely look into the options there. I'm just worried that they are already booked up, and I don't want to be an inconvenience! I guess I should just message her and find out :)

QuoteToktorGrace:
Your costume does look a little silly without the paint.
I think the general recommendation is to have as many people as possible paint up if they've got the skills.

Haha there's no way I'd go dressed exactly as I am in the pictures. If I do cosplay, the minimum I will do will be like my last two times in costume, seen here:

[smg id=1865]

I'd also wear something to cover my arms or paint them :P

Ikxeru

Quote from: mikkowilson on June 29, 2012, 07:35:55 PM
Last year, this was a problem we wish to avoid:
[...]
under all circumstances!  No water-based make-up = no problem, kefyak?  ;)

Also, Ikxeru: Have you considered simply staying in your costume through AvatarMeet AND EuroAvatar without washing off in between to travel? Because I think that would count as the definition of epic.
8)
Hmmmm.... If you ask me, I wouldn't have any idea what will be harder: leaving the US or entering Germany. ???
I guess immigration officers don't count that as epic any way.
Meh, maybe let's give it a try :D

Technically it is possible, although being very stressful for the skin including an increasing amount of PEW!-factor, but PAX is water-resistant up to a certain degree, so that I can have a shower...
The paint does look even better when having a quick shower to spill off excessive amounts of powder.

And: I have stayed in make-up for 10 days without having any problems for a long term test starting Dec 25 last year.

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Human No More

I doubt anyone will have a problem as long as nothing is showing.

Although I have been wondering something for a while - I don't plan to wear shoes when doing my costume, but I've heard that parts of the US are far less barefoot-friendly than here, where I often don't bother with them in general. Will I have problems getting into places? Of course, the museum is the main priority there. Did anyone not wear shoes with their costume last time?
Irayo :)

Quote from: Ikxeru on June 29, 2012, 09:28:02 AM
(Which is funny to think about: being brought to a secret location and being questioned by the FBI and some medics carrying books of alien anatomy :D  lol

hrh :P
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

shoes of some kind will be required in the museum. i advise them when transiting the city are there may be broken glass and other sharp things on the ground

Human No More

Quote from: Meuiama Tsamsiyu (Toruk Makto) on July 02, 2012, 06:33:33 PM
shoes of some kind will be required in the museum.
:(
Well, thanks for the info anyway.
Quotei advise them when transiting the city are there may be broken glass and other sharp things on the ground
hrh, that's what I mean :/ ... people always worry about such things, but I just watch where I'm going instead. Even having stepped on glass, you'd have to be jumping up and down for it to actually embed.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Sarah Noel

I went barefoot for a long time after avatar, only stopped because I started getting planter's warts. I've stepped on bits of glass too by accident, it was never a big deal. Also Seattle's streets are damn clean compared to some other cities I've been in, I'd be barefoot this cosplay without batting an eye, if it weren't for possible shoe policies in buildings we might enter. I might do it anyway since i keep forgetting to buy new flip flops.

Jane MacMillan

I have a Seattle friend who goes barefoot all the time and brings along sandals for restaurants and other places where they complain.

Do we know what time the clan is gathering at the museum on Saturday? It'll take me 4 hours to get painted up, and I'd hate to show up after everyone is gone! I definitely don't want to miss any group photos.

From all the feeds I have been looking at, there really is no set time for ANYthing. I am finding it quite frustrating, actually, as every day I will be traveling almost 90 minutes one way to get there, then go to where I am staying, and so on.