2012 Seattle Meetup Clan Cosplay

Started by Sarah Noel, July 14, 2011, 01:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: Ikxeru on October 08, 2011, 02:50:19 PM
Kaltxì ma Sarah, so you already put me down the list, did you? ;)

That's fine and I can't wait! Okay, I aim at AVTR gone rogue with feathers, longbow, loincloth and so on...

I plan to work hard, practice a lot until next summer and not to look too cheap. ;)

I have just two possible options: Epic fail or epic win. But in every case... epic!
- forward forever, backward never ever!

- ta Ikxeru

Just a more technical question: What will US customs officers tell me, if I try to enter the US with a longbow and arrows?

I think you're going to have to ship your weaponry separately. Or you can call the US consulate in your area and ask them about it and see if you can get some kind of special clearance. I have no idea what they'll say tho.

-Txonä Rolyu

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Human No More

A bow? You should be able to class it as sports equipment, perhaps ;)
Obviously, check everything beforehand.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Toruk'makto

Kaltxì
If I'll come to the meeting I'll take my Na'vi costume with me. So you can as an Possible Full Native Na'vi cosplayer.  :)
But I don't know with my Equipment. My bow and arrows maybe must wait at home.
But I look forward to the meeting :)

Kìyevame
Die Himmelsmenschen haben uns eine Botschaft gesandt, dass sie sich alles nehmen können was sie wollen und dass niemand sie aufhalten kann. Aber wir schicken ihnen auch eine Botschaft; fliegt so schnell wie euch der Wind nur tragen kann; ruft die anderen Clans herbei. Sagt ihnen Toruk'makto ruft sie zu sich. Ihr fliegt jetzt mit mir. Meine Brüder, Schwestern und dann zeigen wir den Himmelsmenschen, dass sie sich nicht alles nehmen können was sie wollen und dass dies unser Land ist.

Ikxeru

Quote from: Toruk'makto on October 13, 2011, 03:18:45 PMMy bow and arrows maybe must wait at home.
Ma Toruk'Makto,
Well, I will officially ask the US consulate next days, what customs regulations could affect our plans.

Let's have a look. To my mind, this shouldn't be a problem, we can't solve.
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Toruk'makto

Hmm...
ok let's see.
But my real Bow, that I've bought must wai at home because the risk is too hight to destroy it in the plane or otherways...
Die Himmelsmenschen haben uns eine Botschaft gesandt, dass sie sich alles nehmen können was sie wollen und dass niemand sie aufhalten kann. Aber wir schicken ihnen auch eine Botschaft; fliegt so schnell wie euch der Wind nur tragen kann; ruft die anderen Clans herbei. Sagt ihnen Toruk'makto ruft sie zu sich. Ihr fliegt jetzt mit mir. Meine Brüder, Schwestern und dann zeigen wir den Himmelsmenschen, dass sie sich nicht alles nehmen können was sie wollen und dass dies unser Land ist.

Txura Rolyu

Yeah I wouldnt bring your bow if you think it might be damaged taking it with you.
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Toruk'makto

Yes,
because I'll make a little holiday with 2 others at the west-coast and the bow isn't really handy. So I must think what I can tale to Seattle, to be an real Na'vi.  ;D

Txura Rolyu

Perhaps a dagger?? Just leave it in checked bag so that you can take it with you.
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Seze Mune

It might be better to send it ahead of time rather than take it with you and risk customs having a hissy fit.  Or...find out where you can buy one in the greater Seattle area as a souvenir to take back home when you are done. :D

mikkowilson

Transporting a bow & arrows in to to the US is not a problem.

It's classified as sporting equipment and must simply be packed properly.
Checked luggage of course. (You can't carry it into the cabin.)
Bow not under tension. (So the string released so the bow is "un-flexed".)
Any sharps (arrow heads) properly covered.

It's no different than flying with a set of kitchen knives.

When I flew my bow down to Seattle this year; I simply found an appropriately sized thick cardboard tube, added a little bubble wrap, and was done:

That tube I got from my local Home Depot. I went over to their carpet section and asked if I could have one of their empty carpet-core tubes. They pointed me to a pile of them in the corner and told me to take my pick. :)
One less tube for them to recycle.

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Ikxeru

Quote from: mikkowilson on January 02, 2012, 11:44:44 PM
Transporting a bow & arrows in to to the US is not a problem.
It's classified as sporting equipment and must simply be packed properly.

Oh, that's good news! I am really looking forward to be in Seattle next year.
But there is just one point I didn't think about before. All the painting work is very time consuming and I don't know if I want to miss half of the meetup, esp. if there are any language workshops planned parallel.  ???

I don't know what to do...  :'(

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Kamean

Tse'a ngal ke'ut a krr fra'uti kame.

Sarah Noel

Quote from: Ikxeru on January 03, 2012, 03:56:42 PM

Oh, that's good news! I am really looking forward to be in Seattle next year.
But there is just one point I didn't think about before. All the painting work is very time consuming and I don't know if I want to miss half of the meetup, esp. if there are any language workshops planned parallel.  ???

I don't know what to do...  :'(

What I always do is get up in the middle of the night, or extremely early, and get all my painting done then. So I'm done by the time the day rolls around. It takes me about 4 hours, so I get up at 6 if I need to be ready by 10AM. I know missing sleep is annoying, but I'd rather miss sleep than anything exciting.

Actual cosplaying events (photos or roleplaying or whatever) will not be scheduled at the same time as any workshops I would think. It is not the goal of the meetup to have to split people into different groups due to scheduling conflicts. If you are deadset on getting an entire night's worth of sleep the day before the cosplay, you may very well miss some morning events, if there will be any. That's a choice you'll have to make for yourself. It's too early to say right now though, the events schedule won't be finalized for a while.

EDIT: since you're using PAX you don't need to have all your paint done at once, perhaps you just be an avatar on friday, then finish the paint job, and be a Na'vi on Saturday with everyone else.

Txura Rolyu

What is PAX? A type of paint? How does it work?

Payoang

Quote from: Txura Rolyu on January 04, 2012, 12:25:26 AMWhat is PAX? A type of paint? How does it work?

PAX[1] is wonderful, or so I've heard. I've been meaning to experiment with it. Sounds easier than airbrushing, and less toxic than acrylic...

Quote from: Payoang on January 04, 2012, 12:38:01 AM
Quote from: Txura Rolyu on January 04, 2012, 12:25:26 AMWhat is PAX? A type of paint? How does it work?

PAX[1] is wonderful, or so I've heard. I've been meaning to experiment with it. Sounds easier than airbrushing, and less toxic than acrylic...

Eh? That's PAX?  Hm. I was planing on using this paint which also goes by the name "PAX" but don't look like that site.

Quote from: Sarah Noel on January 03, 2012, 11:04:05 PM
What I always do is get up in the middle of the night, or extremely early, and get all my painting done then. So I'm done by the time the day rolls around. It takes me about 4 hours, so I get up at 6 if I need to be ready by 10AM. I know missing sleep is annoying, but I'd rather miss sleep than anything exciting.

I totally know what you mean! For the June meet up I woke up at 3am for a 7:30 flight. I am THE farthest thing from a morning person but on that day I have never been more excited to be waking up at 3am :)

-Txonä Rolyu

Ikxeru

Quote from: Txura Rolyu on January 04, 2012, 12:25:26 AM
What is PAX? A type of paint? How does it work?
PAX is not a trademark, its an acronym for a special composition of paint.
PAX is made of Pros-Aide prothetics adhesive and (in the original formula) LiquiteX acrylic paint, mixed 50:50 by it's weight.
Painting results are just awesome, because this paint is water resistant and you can stay in make-up for several days.

I would always suggest to use Liquitex, because these contain less of harmful heavy metals (like Cobalt) in the blue colors - for obvious reasons you don't want such metals get into your body. Avoid all types of color with a hazard symbol.
Be careful with white acrylic color. It contains Titanium Dioxide, which is a nanoparticle. This could be harmful as well, as it can diffuse though the skin barrier into the body.

Quote from: Txonä Te Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì on January 04, 2012, 02:36:57 AM
Eh? That's PAX?  Hm. I was planing on using this paint which also goes by the name "PAX" but don't look like that site.
This is exactly the paint I have used last week (because I was to lazy to mix my own formula this time ;))
Well, take a look here to see how it looks...

Quote from: Sarah Noel on January 03, 2012, 11:04:05 PM
I am not an early bird at all, so I guess I will start to paint one day before. To me it's a miracle how fast you can paint...
EDIT: since you're using PAX you don't need to have all your paint done at once, perhaps you just be an avatar on friday, then finish the paint job, and be a Na'vi on Saturday with everyone else.
Hmm, I guess I will do all the basic blue painting one day before and do the stripes in the morning.

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Txura Rolyu

Where can we find this stuff? It looks awesome and if it doesnt come off for a few days I think that would be the best option for such a long meetup.

Quote from: Txura Rolyu on January 05, 2012, 10:14:11 PM
Where can we find this stuff? It looks awesome and if it doesnt come off for a few days I think that would be the best option for such a long meetup.

Right there on the website lol.

-Txonä Rolyu

Txura Rolyu

:o

That stuff is majorly expensive!!! Do you know how much is needed to make a 6' 3" Na'vi? I dont want to get to little and find out too late.

Also on the site it says that it can be airbrushed. Is that the common method or is painting it with a regular brush just fine?