2012 Seattle Meetup Clan Cosplay

Started by Sarah Noel, July 14, 2011, 01:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarah Noel

Quote from: Txura Rolyu on January 06, 2012, 12:25:23 PM
:o

That stuff is majorly expensive!!! Do you know how much is needed to make a 6' 3" Na'vi? I dont want to get to little and find out too late.

Also on the site it says that it can be airbrushed. Is that the common method or is painting it with a regular brush just fine?

PAX is very sticky and needs to be watered down a lot before it can be used in an air bush, so regular brushes are actually better for PAX. I've had a few conversations with ISV Venture Star about PAX, but since he's not around anymore to relay the info himself, I'll just copy and paste it here.

"I used a 50/50 mixture of pros-aide and an
ordinary non-toxic acrylic paint which I mixed myself. I used a little under 250ml of pros-aide (cost $48) per application. Acrylic paint was much cheaper by comparison. It's pretty hard-wearing stuff, almost like a second skin. Mine was applied by hand (using sponges) in three thin coats then made non-sticky with a dusting of talc. Stripes are hand painted on top of that using paintbrushes and a slightly darker mix. I painted most of it but my housemates helped with my back. Drying time per coat 30 to 45 mins. Talc layer after the first three coats and after the stripes. i think the odds of my being there next year are about 20 to 30%."

I wish he would be there next year, he's one of the best male cosplayers I've seen yet.  ;)

http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=216634

That's a thead I found on cosplay.com that talks about PAX in great detail. That cosplayer also reposted it to her blog (http://ffcosplay.livejournal.com/232131.html), which I find easier to read, but the thread has a lot more follow up questions and answers that are worth reading.

Ikxeru

Quote from: Txura Rolyu on January 06, 2012, 12:25:23 PM
:o

That stuff is majorly expensive!!! Do you know how much is needed to make a 6' 3" Na'vi? I dont want to get to little and find out too late.

Also on the site it says that it can be airbrushed. Is that the common method or is painting it with a regular brush just fine?

Yes, PAX is expensive, but remeber that it can last for several days. With water make up you can't touch a thing without leaving blue traces and you have to repaint/full retouch every day. With PAX you just go to bed, wake up and do some minor retouching. You can touch everything and everyone and it feels like a second skin.

Well, it takes around 4-6 oz. for a full body makeup. plus around 2-4 oz. for the stripes. But keep in mind that it may be necessary to retouch the paint, depending on the temperature. Higher temperatures can result in some itchiness which - belive me - you can't stand. Thus you would have to retouch, esp. the face is most badly affected after a long day out.

The common method to apply it is to paint with triangular make-up-sponges.
You may use brushes, but PAX is very tacky and glues the hairs of the brushes together.

You can airbrush it as well, but you have to thin it and therefore you most probalbly have to paint a second or even a third layer. Otherwise it will dry to fast (whithin the airbrush) and block the airbushes' needle. Then it is ruined, because there is hardly a chance to clean the needle again.
(For me all this is theory only, because I never tried to use an airbrush with PAX-color. I will try it later this year and post the results for sure. ;))
Maybe someone else airbrushed PAX and could to point us in the right direction. ???

EDIT: Oops, Sarah just said nearly the same as I did.  LOL.
Compute for a greater good! Join LN's folding@home-team!

Krro tsayun oe 'ivefu nìftxavang nìmun.
Krro oeri txe'lan tìsraw ke sasyi nulkrr ulte tsun oe rivun tìme'emit nìmun.
Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro a lu pxiye'rìn, pxiswaway, pxiset, set.
Krro lu krrpe? Ke omum nìno, tì'eyngmungwrr a'aw a lu oer.
Krro layu...

Txura Rolyu

Well I would totally be down for buying this stuff if I had people more learned helping me out. I wouldnt mind helping them so "I paint your back, you paint mine."  ;D
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: How will I know if she chooses me?
Neytiri: She will try to kill you.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Txonä Unil Stä'nìyu Rolyusì

Quote from: Txura Rolyu on January 08, 2012, 12:29:56 AM
Well I would totally be down for buying this stuff if I had people more learned helping me out. I wouldnt mind helping them so "I paint your back, you paint mine."  ;D

Well we could do what we did for Halloween :)

-Txonä Rolyu

Edit: I see you just made Palulukan Makto, seykxel sì nitram!

AvatarMeet was fantastic. Thanks to all who attended :D

Na'vi Kintrrä #70° :D

Keyeyluke ke tsun livu kea tìnusume

Oeri Uniltìrantokxìl txe'lanit nì'aw takeiuk nì'ul txa' fralo

Fpìl na Na'vi. Plltxe na Na'vi. Tìran na Na'vi. Kame na Na'vi

Txura Rolyu

Sounds fine to me. I know this paint will be harder to deal with than the paint we used ma tsmukan.  :P
Quote from: Ekirä on March 30, 2011, 04:45:34 PMNeytiri: Now you choose your woman. This you must feel inside. If she also chooses you, move quick like I showed.
Jake: Outstanding. *takes out an ikran-catcher and walks through hometree looking for women*

Sran, slä tsayun emrivey a fì'ut oel fpìl. Säfpìl ngeyä a tsawteri a pamängkxo moe fìtxon oeru sunu. Ponguru ayhawlyuä payawm tsawteri.

-Txonä Rolyu

Txura Rolyu

Sarah Noel

If you two (txura and Txona) are hesitant about the PAX (price, difficulty painting ect.) then I'd recommend something waterbased, which is what I currently use. It doesn't stay on for days, but it's cheaper and looks pretty good with a little practice.

Txura Rolyu

I am not afraid of it to the point I won't use it but I just want to know that there will be somebody there that knows about it that can help me along.

Ikxeru

I will not promise anything yet, because there's still a chance that I won't make it to the meetup, but if I am there, I would be glad to help you, if you like. This is always fun.

And of course you could ask for futher assistance, if needed! ;)

Due to the tackiness of PAX it's virtually impossible to paint yourself with good results, but painting jobs are done very quick and good if two or three people paint each other.

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Sarah Noel

I have read that it is possible to paint yourself with PAX, you just need to talc coat inbetween layers, which is good, because I hate asking for assistance with my paint jobs.
EDIT: ISV Venture Star does the majority of his paint job himself. He used sponges to apply the base coat, then paintbrushes for the stripes, then threw out the brushes after since the PAX ruins the brush.

Ikxeru

It is possible, of course, to paint yourself with PAX if you powder each layer. (Which you normally do anyway)
Then you would have the advantage that you can paint the details as you like it best.

For instrance, I guess I am quite good at painting blurred stripe-patterns, but I can't paint them on myself, which is dissatisfying, because someone else must paint my stripes. Talking about our painting session in December, I simply looked too Zebraish, instead of Na'viish (to my mind).

Accordingly I agree with you: The best would be, if you could paint yourself.

But however, I give you an example: You want to paint the armpit area - thus You have to raise your arm. After painting this area, you must not take down the arm, because the paint will glue your chest and your arm together So you have to talc yourself with the arm still raised. Additionally maybe your fingers are sticky, because of some paint on it. Hence it can be strenuous, if you think of other parts of the body that you can't move until you have talced it - and this will slow down the painting process.
I guess you should try that yourself during a test-painting, if you can handle that, or not. ???

BTW: I advise you all not to use talcum powder, but rather transparent, white, theatrical make-up powder instead.
You don't want to stand in a cloud of talcum which can go deep down into your lungs while breathing normally.

Krro fra'u lasyatem.
Krro layu...

Txura Rolyu

Is there a way to get all of the people who are cosplaying into a Teamspeak meeting or something at some point this month? I want to just see who still needs a roomate cuz I wouldnt want to wake up others because I have to paint. It would best to have all cosplayers in a room to not bother anybodys sleeping. Also if there are multiple of us we can help work on the backs and such that are hard to reach. 

Sarah Noel

I'll see what I can do, I need to talk to the Planning Committee. I've never used teamspeak before, I would think a few amount of the cosplayers don't have it either. Tinychat requires no downloading, or maybe just a thread specifically for cosplaying roommate situation, but everyone's spread out on different forums.

Regardless, The hotel allows 4 people to a room for sleeping arrangements, but most people will probably be 2 to a room. I've visited the hotel rooms this winter, and the bathrooms aren't large enough to accommodate 4 people painting themselves at once, from what I remember. 2 would be the max probably, (maybe 3 if someone's willing to paint themselves in the shower). There's also modestly to consider. I Don't give a txìm if people are around me while I paint, but those doing the Na'vi cosplay generally strip down to nothing.

Txura Rolyu

That is true. I spoke with Txonä and he said that we should (he doesnt know 100%) have the meeting lobby area that we will be showing Avatar for the whole time we are there. If that is the case we can use that space instead of individual rooms.

Did someone say planning team? Note the banner under my name ;)

SO...update: we are going to have one of the smaller meeting rooms for the duration and the big room for the clan meal and movie. Idk the dimensions of the small room tho unfortunately. It depends on which one we get, there are a few choices. But that's what's up right now.

-Txonä Rolyu

Sarah Noel

I've seen the meeting rooms in person, and they're carpeted, which we'd have to coat in some sort of plastic, which is difficult for the size of the room. In all honesty, having a group painting session in the meeting rooms is an idea that makes me really nervous. Even if we're super careful, we'll probably get a little paint on something we're not supposed to, like light switches, or the ones using airbrushes might accidentally graze the walls at some point. This isn't a big deal in a tiled bathroom as the paints we're using scrub off, but for carpets and meeting room walls, I fear a smudge would be much harder to remove. Staining their fancy meeting room seems like an offense I'd like to avoid. I suppose if we take A LOT of  precautions with plastic covers (MORE time the cosplayers spend not sleeping, and the money to cover a room that size) we could do it in there, but my vote is for no.

mikkowilson

Just a clarification on what Txonä said: We are planning on having a small room throughout the event as a "base", probably have some art displayed there or something. Still working on those details. Plus then we'll have a larger room for the clan meal on (most likely) Sunday. The venue for the movie is still in the works and we are still figuring out our options.

The final rooms we get depends on confirmed attendance, and our budget which depends on the donations we get (info here: http://avatarmeet.com/?m=3&s=10#donations) and our budget we can negotiate with the hotel which is affected by how many people have booked. Yeah, this is a plug to make your booking with the hotel (costs nothing now to reserve a room) and make you donation so we can minimize what we need to dig out of our own pockets for the events to be pre-paid. :)

- Mikko
Mikko Wilson
Juneau, Alaska, USA
[email protected] - www.mikkowilson.com - +1 (907) 321-8387

Human No More

Quote from: Txura Rolyu on January 10, 2012, 04:18:15 PM
Is there a way to get all of the people who are cosplaying into a Teamspeak meeting or something at some point this month? I want to just see who still needs a roomate cuz I wouldnt want to wake up others because I have to paint. It would best to have all cosplayers in a room to not bother anybodys sleeping. Also if there are multiple of us we can help work on the backs and such that are hard to reach.  
I've already got a room with oeya yawntu :), but if we want to discuss anything else then I'll come on teamspeak or whereever.

Quote from: Sarah Noel on January 11, 2012, 07:16:38 AM
I've seen the meeting rooms in person, and they're carpeted, which we'd have to coat in some sort of plastic, which is difficult for the size of the room. In all honesty, having a group painting session in the meeting rooms is an idea that makes me really nervous. Even if we're super careful, we'll probably get a little paint on something we're not supposed to, like light switches, or the ones using airbrushes might accidentally graze the walls at some point. This isn't a big deal in a tiled bathroom as the paints we're using scrub off, but for carpets and meeting room walls, I fear a smudge would be much harder to remove. Staining their fancy meeting room seems like an offense I'd like to avoid. I suppose if we take A LOT of  precautions with plastic covers (MORE time the cosplayers spend not sleeping, and the money to cover a room that size) we could do it in there, but my vote is for no.
Yeah, bathrooms sound like a better bet. Myself, I won't be using an airbrush though, haven't got any of that and never done it before.
"I can barely remember my old life. I don't know who I am any more."

HNM, not 'Human' :)

Na'vi tattoo:
1 | 2 (finished) | 3
ToS: Human No More
dA
Personal site coming soon(ish

"God was invented to explain mystery. God is always invented to explain those things that you do not understand."
- Richard P. Feynman

Quote from: Sarah Noel on January 11, 2012, 07:16:38 AM

Oh we do have airbrushers? I thought we didn't. Ok yeah, the meeting room probably wouldn't be the place to paint especially if it's carpeted. Y'know I'm still finding little schmutzes of paint from Halloween? LOL. Although in June we did manage to get Wade's buttprint off the seat  ;D tho it would be harder getting paint off of carpet. Best not to risk it.

Quote from: Human No More on January 11, 2012, 05:17:32 PM
Quote from: Txura Rolyu on January 10, 2012, 04:18:15 PM

I've already got a room with oeya yawntu :), but if we want to discuss anything else then I'll come on teamspeak or whereever.

I am rooming with my mate as well and we are both cosplaying. I looked at the roll call list and it looks like most of the cosplayers are not looking for roommates meaning they're either getting a single room or their roommate is also cosplaying or at least knows that the other will be and will need to get up early to get ready. I think we can rely on our cosplayers to let their potential roommates know what's up :) Tho if you really want a roommate who is cosplaying, ExLibrisMortis, Raiden, and Solian are looking. Not sure what Solian is doing but I know Raiden is doing Na'vi/Avatar and ExLib is most likely doing RDA.

-Txonä Rolyu