Author Topic: advice for hair.  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Skxe Eywaftu

• Tawtute
  • ooo im learning new and wonderful words
    • teamF
advice for hair.
« on: January 25, 2010, 04:45:59 pm »
Kaltxí,
I have had a few ideas on how to do my hair, but im still a bit unsure for some things.
me, normaly

now first idea, keep fringe how it is, and do braid on one side and/or the other, infront of my ears

second idea, is to get fringe to normal (not the side sweep thing) and a braid on one side and/or the other

also, how many strand things are there in a common braid, 2 or 3?
beads and/or feathers?

Irayo
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 06:00:54 pm by Skxe Eywaftu »
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much"- Dr. Grace Augustine

Offline Robert Nantangä Tirea

• Taronyu
  • Wintxu ngeyä tirea!
    • Youtube Channel
Re: advice for hair.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 05:46:16 pm »
sup!

Just wanted to let you know I added the tags to your photos for you so they will be displayed, however they don't seem to be working. You sure the urls are right? Might want to look into it.

Now, on to your post: The Na'vi traditionally have cornrows into which you can braid your preference of beads/feathers/bones into. I don't think they weave anything into their long Tsaheylu braid. The Tsaheylu braid is made of three strands/clumps.

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Offline Skxe Eywaftu

• Tawtute
    • teamF
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 06:03:15 pm »
ok i think i fixed the picture problem.
and the pictures should help me explain a bit better,
im talking about the parts of hair infront of my ear, since its long, any suggestions of how many strand things to make the braid? 2 or 3.
and how do i keep it as the braid, and not coming un-done
Irayo
"There are many dangers on Pandora, and one of the subtlest is that you may come to love it too much"- Dr. Grace Augustine

Offline Sera

• Tawtute
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 08:16:18 am »
Braids are usually three strands, though I did see a tutorial on how to do a two-strand twist.  You can secure the ends with small elastics, though I'd also wrap them in leather or something to hide the elastic.  You could also use string or twine, or just tie a leather cord around them, but elastics will hold better, especially on small braids.

Offline Skxe Eywaftu

• Tawtute
    • teamF
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 05:19:33 pm »
Irayo, i knew what i was doing, but at the time, i needed an extra pair of hands, so my sister helped me out.

Thinking of finding some cool bird feathers and putting one or two in

Offline Rain

• Palulukan Makto
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 08:11:03 pm »
I have really long hair and I do stuff like this all the time. It looks like you've got the braiding down pat, now for wrapping it maybe? If you wish, I use a soft suede-like bit of buckskin. Just tie off the end of the braid, usually 1-2 inches, and then wrap the rest and tie it off where you'd like to stop. Is There a Hobby Lobby or a Micheal's where you are? I get almost all of my crafting stuff there.

With practice, you'll soon be braiding without help. Good luck!
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Offline Skxe Eywaftu

• Tawtute
    • teamF
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 10:23:42 pm »
Irayo Frapo,
probobly on the weekend (if im not at the gun range) ill find some feathers or beads, and something better to hold it,
not just string.

Offline Suteyä Hawnuyu

• Tute
  • Hu ay-Ikran, ohe sreu!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 11:46:45 am »
I would say that you should probably get a black wig. As far as I know, there are no blond Na'vi.
Suteyä Hawnuyu te Gay'tä Muiä-Eyaye'ite

Offline Kaltxì Palulukan!

• Palulukan Makto
  • My job is to teach 100000 people Na'vi-Wanna help?
    • AdvancedTarotSecrets.com
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 01:37:25 pm »
I would say that you should probably get a black wig. As far as I know, there are no blond Na'vi.

I disagree! I was out surfing the point this morning with that eastern Sea clan wahini. She was carving up waves like a Yerik sandwich dude! Anyway, this bro comes along and he is totally blonde. I was like "whaaa? No way!"

Anyway: we have people here who want to make Na'vi hats, we have pictures of cats, and bats, and of course--the Shat. So why not a blonde Na'vi? He's got a good face for Na'vi make-up. Screw a wig--everyone else will have one. I say try it out, watch the make-up tutorial videos and really do your best to nail the face paint--that is where the real money is (what you need to get "right"). Then we can all sit around and make snarky comments. Until then, how about showing a little support for creativity? We might see a new clan of blonde Na'vi in Av 2. No one knows. but no redheads!

:D

Seriously: we have some killer make-up videos. Study those--get that right, and people will say "What a cool surfer Na'vi. He is da kine!"
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 01:41:07 pm by Kaltxì Palulukan! »
World's first na'vi podcast is here: http://media.podcastingmanager.com/9/0/7/3/4/253192-243709/Media/ATA-1.mp3

New Na'vi FUN activity book is here: Please click here to download your own (free) copy! I help you omum Na'vi! :-)

LOVE YOUR VEGGIES! Don't EAT them!     ----     Before Apollo there was Gaia.

[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b31

Offline Suteyä Hawnuyu

• Tute
  • Hu ay-Ikran, ohe sreu!
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 02:35:00 pm »

I disagree! I was out surfing the point this morning with that eastern Sea clan wahini. She was carving up waves like a Yerik sandwich dude! Anyway, this bro comes along and he is totally blonde. I was like "whaaa? No way!"

Anyway: we have people here who want to make Na'vi hats, we have pictures of cats, and bats, and of course--the Shat. So why not a blonde Na'vi? He's got a good face for Na'vi make-up. Screw a wig--everyone else will have one. I say try it out, watch the make-up tutorial videos and really do your best to nail the face paint--that is where the real money is (what you need to get "right"). Then we can all sit around and make snarky comments. Until then, how about showing a little support for creativity? We might see a new clan of blonde Na'vi in Av 2. No one knows. but no redheads!

:D

Seriously: we have some killer make-up videos. Study those--get that right, and people will say "What a cool surfer Na'vi. He is da kine!"

But creativity isn't realistic! -punches inner scientist-

All better. Perhaps you're right. It just doesn't look right to me.  :-\
Suteyä Hawnuyu te Gay'tä Muiä-Eyaye'ite

• Palulukan Makto
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 05:53:44 pm »

But creativity isn't realistic! -punches inner scientist-

All better. Perhaps you're right. It just doesn't look right to me.  :-\

Hey, I know where you are at. The first time I read the post about a Na'vi hat my head e'sploded. I want to shout "How DARE you?!!" and then I realized I was at that moment something I hate--a giant turd--a real jerk. And I thought, you know what? A lot of the officially licensed costumes this Halloween will suck-suck suck suck! I mean cheap, crappy, and the hair--ugh!

So I started thinking: Okay, let's see what we have. We need to start somewhere and experiment. Some ideas will work better than others. And since no one is ten feet tall, it could be successfully argued that 5 foot Na'vi girls in skimpy bikinis are also not technically correct. Look--I don't know about you, but if I am ever in a room surrounded by 5'tall bikini-clad Na'vi costumed girls (even if they have green hair), the LAST thing I am going to be doing is complaining.  :D

I know it is a bit shocking at first, but not all of us were gifted with long, raven-black hair, and it is worth a try. More important though--I like to see this community as generally supportive. Who knows what it will look like? Remember the flying goggles? Those have gone through several incarnations and design ideas. Think of it as a process. Besides, think of that Eastern Sea clan leader as a blonde. Then all of this will be a distant memory :)
World's first na'vi podcast is here: http://media.podcastingmanager.com/9/0/7/3/4/253192-243709/Media/ATA-1.mp3

New Na'vi FUN activity book is here: Please click here to download your own (free) copy! I help you omum Na'vi! :-)

Offline Rain

• Palulukan Makto
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 06:47:54 pm »
*cowers* The hat was my idea...I'm sorry!  :'( *hides behind mommy*
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

• Palulukan Makto
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 07:37:44 pm »
*cowers* The hat was my idea...I'm sorry!  :'( *hides behind mommy*

Well I LOVE the idea now. So please stay on it.

As to strands per braid. I am not sure about corn rows, but from the make-up video I learned that two strands is a "twist" (you twist each strand clockwise and twist the stands together counter-clockwise), and a braid has 3 strands, generally. Death to the nay-sayers!

;D

Offline Skxe Eywaftu

• Tawtute
    • teamF
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 11:10:28 pm »
Irayo frapo
Thanks for the positive re-enforcement (was going to dye my hair black anyways, lol) but ill see how it goes, might look good might not, only time (and money :O) will tell.

Offline Robert Nantangä Tirea

• Taronyu
  • Wintxu ngeyä tirea!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 10:00:43 am »
Actually I wouldn't be suprised if the plains Pa'li Tribes didn't have some form of head-gear coverment. In the forest you're under the natural canopy all day but on the plains you have to shade from the sun somehow. The Na'vi could very well be more resistent to UV radiation than humans BUT the ASG tells us that the solar radiation storms that sometimes get funneled in the vortex can cause unlucky pandoran life to die from cancer so I think a hat-type arrangement on the Plains would be very sensible for comfort and health.

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Kxani

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 04:29:54 am »
I think that your idéa is good actually. It would look good on you Skxe!

I have braided in 20 long black synthetic dreads in my hair and then braided them into one big brid on the back. It really looks good actually. My boyfriend has the same. I saved a lot from my front hair though (also black) to be able to combe it over back on the head. I don't look Na'vi but it really looks avatarish. Thinking of fixing a little longer hai on the non braided part.. :P

Difficult to sleep with the long thing haning down from my back and over my but. :P

Become LearnNavi's friend on Facebook Follow LearnNavi on Twitter! Watch LearnNavi's videos on YouTube

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | XHTML | RSS | WAP2 | Site Rules

LearnNavi is not affiliated with the official Avatar website,
James Cameron, LightStorm Entertainment or The Walt Disney Company.
All trademarks and servicemarks are the properties of their respective owners.
Images in the LearnNavi.org Forums and Gallery may not be used without permission.

LearnNavi Affiliates:
ToS

LearnNavi is the community to learn Na'vi, the Avatar Language
"A place where real friendships are made." -Paul Frommer

AvatarMeet | Learn Na'vi Forum | Learn Na'vi Wiki | Na'viteri

LearnNavi