Started by NockNock95, January 06, 2010, 05:17:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kupaton`Eywa

For me I'm going ro creat the long legs, arms, trying to find Vampire teeth (great subsitute for na'vi teeth and I need help trying to build a Na'vi tail and the Ear as well
I Command an Army, you do nt want to mess with me!

Tirolite

Quote from: tsteutxe'lan on January 12, 2010, 06:19:58 PM
For the eyes you are going to look around $300 for proper FX lenses (contacts that is..) It really depends on how serious you want a costume to look. I MUST put stress on the fact you need to do this through a proper eye exam and exact measurements.. if you don't you will screw up your eyes.

Yeah, that'll definitely be the most expensive part. Which might just be a waste since I'm not one to wear a costume all that often. Perhaps it would be better to just go without, and pretend there isn't that difference.

I have an addiction to sigs...

Kupaton`Eywa

yea, I agree with you Tirolite-san

Ftiafpi

For the eyes you are going to look around $300 for proper FX lenses (contacts that is..) It really depends on how serious you want a costume to look. I MUST put stress on the fact you need to do this through a proper eye exam and exact measurements.. if you don't you will screw up your eyes.

If you already have contacts doesn't that drop the price of these down drastically since you can just send them your prescription and only pay like $100 for the set?

Robert Nantangä Tirea

Quote from: Ftiafpi on January 13, 2010, 09:21:28 AM

If you already have contacts doesn't that drop the price of these down drastically since you can just send them your prescription and only pay like $100 for the set?

It's possible (I don't have glasses/contacts so I'm not familiar with the process) but I was looking at one site and it was over $100 to order a lens for ONE eye. I didn't shop around much because I wasn't interested in paying anything close to that so you might be able to find them cheaper but I am guessing because they are a niche market places pretty much charge what they want. A few years back you probably remember the huge fiasco with novelty lenses with people damaging their eyes from low quality contacts and the resulting lawsuits. After that, they got rarer and expensive.

I would guess you're looking at anywhere from $100-$300 for a pair.

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Kupaton`Eywa

Quote from: Robert Nantangä Tirea on January 13, 2010, 10:14:55 AM

Why not just don't buy the lenses and just make the costume. Who carse about the eyes?

It's possible (I don't have glasses/contacts so I'm not familiar with the process) but I was looking at one site and it was over $100 to order a lens for ONE eye. I didn't shop around much because I wasn't interested in paying anything close to that so you might be able to find them cheaper but I am guessing because they are a niche market places pretty much charge what they want. A few years back you probably remember the huge fiasco with novelty lenses with people damaging their eyes from low quality contacts and the resulting lawsuits. After that, they got rarer and expensive.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Robert Nantangä Tirea on January 13, 2010, 10:14:55 AM

I could do $100 or so for a pair since I would wear these during normals days (since I could see with them, gah stupid glasses/contacts) so it's not like I'd be throwing money out there that I would never use.

Txen Seri Unil

Quote from: Ftiafpi on January 10, 2010, 03:14:33 PM
heh, this kind of stuff is going to be booming once we get closer to Halloween (I know I'm doing one!)
This is so true!
It almost makes me want to start mass-producing the flying goggles. Almost...
It'll be a Na'vi INVASION! hahaha!

Makes me smile to think of all the Na'vi goodness we have yet to see. ;)

Eywa ngahu,
Txen Seri Unil

Old name: Rawveggie. Upgraded to Na'vi name.

Txen Seri Unil = Awake + Make (present continuing tense) + Dream = Waking Dream

"The words are like stones in my heart." -Jake Sully
(Aylì'u lu na tskxe mì oeyä txe'lan. - Na'vi translation from script)

Kupaton`Eywa

If I have the correct tools IMA build myself a working AMP Suit!
HA!
BRING ON THE PAIN!

Hawnuyu atìtse'a

Quote from: Kupaton`Eywa on January 13, 2010, 07:43:57 PM
HA!
BRING ON THE PAIN!
you are my hero...

I think going as an AVTR driver would be easier. Just need a shirt, cargo pants, backpack, bluetooth, and a BFG and you're set.
"And that's how you scatter the roaches."- Col. Miles Quaritch.

Team Quaritch Member

Rey ulte ting rey.

Ftiafpi

Quote from: Hawnuyu atìtse'a on January 13, 2010, 08:19:44 PM
Quote from: Kupaton`Eywa on January 13, 2010, 07:43:57 PM
HA!
BRING ON THE PAIN!
you are my hero...

I think going as an AVTR driver would be easier. Just need a shirt, cargo pants, backpack, bluetooth, and a BFG and you're set.

lol, that would be pretty easy.

MaTe

here is a nicely done draenei costume. Has some nice ideas that might be usefull for a Na'Vi

http://www.cosplay.com/costume/248415/
Where is my NDD fix?
some people juggle geese...

Älskxa'way

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Hawnuyu atìtse'a on January 06, 2010, 08:47:09 PM
*Sigh* Sarcasm was never meant for the internet.

Oh I got it. And it seems there are several threads now all answering this same question (how to look like a Na'vi). In each thread there are great suggestions and advice.
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Rallion

I also intend to make my own Na'vi costume for carnival as well for LARP. I have seen some nice Avatars in this Forum (the small pictures of each user not the Avatar from the film) showing nice transformations into a Na'vi. I would like to see more of this pictures in large. Please post some of them into this thread.

jparachoniak

Quote from: Rallion on January 18, 2010, 09:47:28 AM
I also intend to make my own Na'vi costume for carnival as well for LARP.

Did you say Avatar LARP where?
mì Soviet Russia, ngal ke nume nìna'viti, ngati nume nìna'vil

Rallion

I do not know anything about a speciel Avatar Larp. But I think that na'vi characters are even compatible to ordinary fantasy LARPs. They do not own any technological things which do not occur in a fantasy setting. Only the clothes of Jake's Avatar or his machine gun are not compatible to fantasy LARP. I do not think that entire Pandora is tropical, tribes of the temperate zone probably wear more clothes like the ones in the film. I think their clothes are more related to clothes of indegene people of our world. The power of Eywa is more related to the magic or the clerical power of other non na'vi characters. Thus if you make some modifications (modifications like the reduction of the size from 10 to 6-7feet are already accepted) on background and equipment you can make a na'vi based character living in fantasy world like elves deep in the forest.

Robert Nantangä Tirea

Quote from: Rallion on January 18, 2010, 09:47:28 AM
I also intend to make my own Na'vi costume for carnival as well for LARP. I have seen some nice Avatars in this Forum (the small pictures of each user not the Avatar from the film) showing nice transformations into a Na'vi. I would like to see more of this pictures in large. Please post some of them into this thread.

Most of the profile pictures people have are photo-manipulations done in graphic design software like Photoshop. These talented artists take a picture of theirs or someone's face and change the hue, colors, face/nose/eye shape, to make them look like a Na'vi. They've done some outstanding work, and you can find more in the Fan Art section.

Most of them are not, however, costumes. A YouTube search for Na'vi Makeup generates some great results for tips on makeup/paint design. For costume outfit tips in particular, myself and FanReviewz (he was my inspiration) have videos of our costumes and will be posting "How To" videos on our channels soon.

Hope that helps you get started and we look forward to seeing what you come up with!

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Rallion

Robert Nantangä Tirea

I have already seen your and the other videos on youtube dealing with a na'vi costume and/or na'vi make up. Like your video there is couple of very nice stuff  :) :). But there are also very terrible things  ???. I am looking foward for new stuff and your tutorial.

Robert Nantangä Tirea

Sure thing! Don't worry, I'll defenitely be posting the video once I finish it and probably link it in my sig as well.

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!