Fandom > Cosplay / Costuming

Glowing tanhì?

<< < (3/3)

Toliman:

--- Quote from: Ertew on December 31, 2017, 03:49:55 pm ---Answering to Toliman's question: I don't like the idea of solder that much LEDs but looks like I have to use at least 1000 LED for full blue costume. Maybe I should cosplay as Avatar driver? No LEDs on torso, just arms and legs  :-\

--- End quote ---
I would like see realized your originally idea with 1500 LEDs on "whole" body.
However I understand that soldering of such number of LEDs would be hell work... xD

Ertew:
Here are one of my inspirations for LED cosplay: Night Sky Costume

Toliman:
O.o ... looks great on this images :)

Ertew:
Small update.

Logistic things:
I ordered zentai costume, LEDs and LED drivers, everything from China. Everything should arrive within month (first april), worst case two months (first may). That gives me 5 months to deadline (meetup).
If international post lose any package I may need to order some items second time, that gives me 2 months of waiting for second order and 3 months to finish my costume. Looks like a plenty of time.
Costume - I don't have any info about type of the fabric (cotton/nylon/wool) and seller cannot help me with it. Photos doesn't look too shiny. I chose "light blue" color because alternative colors are blue (IMHO too dark) and white (required painting whole fabric). Darker stripes will be painted with blue fabric paint. Hope fabric will be easy to paint and doesn't look too bad.
LEDs - as they are cheaper (8$ for 2000 pcs) so I purchased 2000 pcs from one seller and 2000 pcs from second one.
Same story as with suit - need to wait 2 months.
LED drivers - I chose 50pcs WS2811 (same as in addressable LED stripes) for 10$ from single supplier. Reason for choosing them can be found below.
Magnet wire - I'll purchase it locally because I don't thrust Chinese suppliers in every technical aspect. More info below.

Technical things:
I have "LED Copper Wire" from two different Chinese sellers. First one have reasonable quality LEDs but wires are way too thick. Second one have thinner (better for me) wires but LEDs efficiency are really bad. I mean 20mA/LED gives me less light than 2mA/LED on regular SMD 2835 LEDs. This forces me use (and solder) 1500 single LEDs. So "it's decided", soldering iron ready.

LEDs required constant current driving. I'm still unsure about right current. At the moment I can assume that 5mA/LED should be visible on cloudy day (valid for modern 2835 white LEDs). That's the upper limit for future analysis as tanhì should be barely visible during day. Assuming 5mA/LED and 3 LEDs in series (~9V driving voltage) I need 100mA current for each line of dots (60 dots = 20*3 LEDs).
For LED drivers I decided to use WS2811. That little chip have 3 outputs. Each output have constant current source factory set to 18mA + PWM dimming. For my build I need 6 channels (2 chips) for each line of dots. Total 48 chips + few more for tail. This solution would give me 7 step dimming (0-6 channels active) and single channel PWM dimming between steps.
400hz PWM solution offered by WS2811 chips is a compromise between complexity of this build and issues with photography. 400hz is barely noticeable by human eye and peoples may catch this only when I make fast move. Summarizing, if nobody takes photo with exposure time below 1/100s everything should be fine.

Last thing, magnet wire. I chose local store because they have special 155°C version. In this type of magnet wire, insulation should vanish at 250°C (regular soldering temperature). Regular 200°C magnet wire need higher temperature to remove insulation. That changes a lot in soldering technology and slows down whole process.
Let's assume that each line of dots is 2m long (reduced to 1m after adding zigzag pattern for elasticity) and each required 3 separate wires, see attachment (source). I'll compose single wire by 6 thin (AWG37) magnet wires for elasticity and durability. This results about 36m of magnet wire per line of dots and total 864m for whole costume. Sounds like a lot, but smallest roll (0.25kg) contain 2551m of wire and costs about 10$. That's 3 times more than I need. I think I can add a lot more wire (durability vs elasticity).
Alternatively I can create separate LED sections and blink them independently to freak out peoples trying to take a photo  ;D

TODO: soldering, right arrangement of dots, sewing to spandex, cables and connectors (invisible under spandex), power distribution and and case for hide battery, maybe even basic remote control.
See You next time - right after components arrive.

P.S. some security mechanisms ssuck. Forum forces me many times to complete recaptcha and leaves empty field many times when I tried to preview or post my reply. Fortunately I have a ctrl-a - ctrl-c habit before send post. And that saves my work many times.

Toliman:
Good to see any update! Hope that all will be delivered at time.

--- Quote from: Ertew on February 25, 2018, 05:25:53 pm ---I have "LED Copper Wire" from two different Chinese sellers. First one have reasonable quality LEDs but wires are way too thick. Second one have thinner (better for me) wires but LEDs efficiency are really bad. I mean 20mA/LED gives me less light than 2mA/LED on regular SMD 2835 LEDs. This forces me use (and solder) 1500 single LEDs. So "it's decided", soldering iron ready.

--- End quote ---
Hmm ... how big is difference (light) between 20mA/LED and 2mA/LED?

--- Quote from: Ertew on February 25, 2018, 05:25:53 pm ---TODO: soldering, right arrangement of dots, sewing to spandex, cables and connectors (invisible under spandex), power distribution and and case for hide battery, maybe even basic remote control.
See You next time - right after components arrive.

--- End quote ---
Sounds as a lot of work, good luck with it!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version