High-Tech and fiction costume ideas - Thing that you'd never though

Started by Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan, February 06, 2010, 10:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meuia te Stxeli Tstew'itan

Ok so this post is basically a mash-up of every high tech and science based information I could found that could be used to make you look more Na'vi. Some of them are very close to sci-fi, some of them already are used and others are just way out of hands. So let's go!

1. Skin colour solution, the crazy one: Overall tattoo. This is for those who REALLY want to get into this and I mean it. Permanent tattoo, specially in that kind of range cost a lot and ARE PERMANENT (duh!) so it is not something I'd recommend unless you are as fan as those who's suicide themselves thinking they can get to Eywa. There's an other part about this one though. Some Japanese managed to create bioluminescent ink that change colours based on temperature and intensity based on electric current. What that means is that if this ink would be used for a tattoo, you could reproduce the little flashy dots that the Na'vi have all over their body. And when I say reproduce, I mean literally. They would change colours depending of your emotions and luminosity depending on the intensity of them. Nice hein? That's what this thread is all about. Next!

2. Earring problems? Fabric solution. There is special type of fabrics, that cost a lot, which are used by designer and have very interesting properties. When you apply an electric current on them, they change form! If you apply that to our ear issue, we could make ears with this and connect the fabric to an electrode at the base of our neck. With a little bit of electronic, we could have Na'vi ears that react to our emotions in the same way as those bioluminescent dots.

3. The tail: A real one. Just as the ink, an other Japanese guy found a way to chirurgically plug a real tail to your body. Apparently, all the required nerves are still there and we just lack the actual tail. This would cost a lot but... he, it never hurt to ask ;)

I'll stop here and let your dream a bit. Any idea about how high tech could get us better bones, a way to tsahaylu or maybe a way to get 10' tall?  ::)
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Eaite Randjam

The tail... oi.

Our tailbone is likely the most useless part of our body and only serves the purpose of hurting really badly when you land hard on your buttocks.  It'd be interesting to see that area actually being used.  I'm pretty sure we'd have an interesting time controlling the tail, just like Jake did when he first took his new body out for a drive.

Would the tail itself be biological or is it a prosthetic that works like a prosthetic hand?  Optional removable tail for the win.

Believe it or not but I read this on good old paper so no link. But I don't think it is something that we can do easily. I don't even think it was done. It is theoricay possible.

On the question or real or not. You could be surprised. Scientist are studing the possibily of growing members as replacement and that one already work! They tested it on a male sexual organ ( seriously who know why they tried this first ) and they succeded. So, give it a few years and you'll be able to get a real tail! I don't know where they'll get the genetic material for a Na'vi tail though.
Fìtsenge kifkey nìswey livu txo ayoe nìNa'vi perlltxeie. Ngal 'awstengyem olo'it fpi tskxekeng.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Oh those wacky Japanese. Always coming up with something new to make us scratch our heads at.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Robert Nantangä Tirea

Quote from: Kawazoe on February 06, 2010, 10:47:53 PM
Ok so this post is basically a mash-up of every high tech and science based information I could found that could be used to make you look more Na'vi. Some of them are very close to sci-fi, some of them already are used and others are just way out of hands. So let's go!
Nice thread idea but most of this subject is devoted to the RANDOM: Na'vi Teeth and Hair thread. However, that one's kind of grown large and unwieldy so I'm not going to merge or lock. ;)

1. Skin colour solution, the crazy one: Overall tattoo. This is for those who REALLY want to get into this and I mean it. Permanent tattoo, specially in that kind of range cost a lot and ARE PERMANENT (duh!) so it is not something I'd recommend unless you are as fan as those who's suicide themselves thinking they can get to Eywa.

There's an other part about this one though. Some Japanese managed to create bioluminescent ink that change colours based on temperature and intensity based on electric current. What that means is that if this ink would be used for a tattoo, you could reproduce the little flashy dots that the Na'vi have all over their body. And when I say reproduce, I mean literally. They would change colours depending of your emotions and luminosity depending on the intensity of them. Nice hein? That's what this thread is all about. Next!
I heard this mentioned in another thread as well. Can we get any confirmed link or something? I would love to read about it. I naturally have a lot of freckles so it would be easy for me to hide a bunch of lumo-dots in them on my face and arms and glow at night  :o (i'm actually serious haha, I WOULD do this.)

2. Earring problems? Fabric solution. There is special type of fabrics, that cost a lot, which are used by designer and have very interesting properties. When you apply an electric current on them, they change form! If you apply that to our ear issue, we could make ears with this and connect the fabric to an electrode at the base of our neck. With a little bit of electronic, we could have Na'vi ears that react to our emotions in the same way as those bioluminescent dots.
These polymer metallic fabris require quite a bit more electricity than your body can produce (from what I know, if you have information otherwise that's awesome). Plastic surgery is a completely viable solution for both shifting the position of your ears and their shape. You could get ear tip pinching if you like the size of your ears or you could get custom grafts with grown skin samples like they do for burn victims.

3. The tail: A real one. Just as the ink, an other Japanese guy found a way to chirurgically plug a real tail to your body. Apparently, all the required nerves are still there and we just lack the actual tail. This would cost a lot but... he, it never hurt to ask ;)
A prosthetic tail would be great, but just like the ears issue you're going to need an external powersource to drive if it's motorized in any way.

I'll stop here and let your dream a bit. Any idea about how high tech could get us better bones, a way to tsahaylu or maybe a way to get 10' tall?  ::)
I you can get full bone replacement nowadays but this is usually done for people with damaged or degenerated bones and it's a very heavy toll on your body so replacing EVERY bone in your body is probably too great a risk to be feasible (unless you're wolverine and get an adamantium bone graft haha). If you want to learn about tsaheylu-type options, ideas, and research i would recommend wikipedia's BCI (brain-computer interface) page especially the section on invasive and semi-invasive BCIs. 

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Yeah I started this thread for the exact reason that this kind of information there but buried over tons and tons of posts. I can't find the link for the bioluminescent ink but I remember it to be closely related to OLED displays technology so it is definitely feasible. If I find it back I'll post it here.

About the tail, I though of a real one. I didn't posted it at first because I though it might be a little bit too much but anyway. Basically, we can grow simple body parts right now. I don't have a clue why they started with "this" specific organ before anything else but... anyway just go there and read: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33808214/. It is still very experimental but they it work! It can't be long before we use this to grow other stuff.

Letxuma Swizaw

this is cool and all but with all these modifications we will have who will take us in but our fellow Na'vi. I wish it were a simple as some folded silicone on your forehead. stupid klingons havin' all the fun...
Oe Skxawnghu längu.

Kìrìstìyä tìpe'unri a kifkeyit kelor kawngsì tsere'a, tsafpìlfya kifkeyit tsafya txolängula.

Join our real life tribe! here(And yes, it will be a real tribe in the real world, not a role play tribe)

Rain

Meh, Wolverine beat James Cameron to the indestructible bones made of adamantium. Unfortunately that would hurt a helluva lot to have that procedure. I'd rather just be careful flinging myself around the trees. Tail and ears would be amazing, though. Though I do steer towards a more canine look...What? I like werewolves lol.

<--Insufferable comic-book nerdette.
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Quote from: Rain on February 14, 2010, 08:52:45 PM
Meh, Wolverine beat James Cameron to the indestructible bones made of adamantium. Unfortunately that would hurt a helluva lot to have that procedure. I'd rather just be careful flinging myself around the trees. Tail and ears would be amazing, though. Though I do steer towards a more canine look...What? I like werewolves lol.

<--Insufferable comic-book nerdette.

I'd settle for the tail too. It would be very useful to keep your balance in the forest.

Rain

Even better if it was prehensile, then I could swing through vines with both hands and STILL hold on to my ice cream!
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Eaite Randjam

Quote from: Rain on February 14, 2010, 11:33:59 PM
Even better if it was prehensile, then I could swing through vines with both hands and STILL hold on to my ice cream!
Especially useful for those moments when you wish you had an extra hand...

In reality, how many of these procedures and such would be feasibly affordable for just looking like an Avatar or Na'vi?

Nìota

Check this out: http://www.wolftronix.com/howto.htm

It's a How-To on building a motorized tail.  This is for a wolf, but all you'd have to do is switch up the casing to look like a Na'vi tail, and attach it to either the loincloth belt or the belt on your RDA issue pants.

Any tech-savvy Na'viya out there? Because I'm not, but I WANT ONE.

EDIT: Ohhh, he takes commissions... but I don't have 700+ dollars. T_T
Eywa-l oe-yä san menari sìk hawn<ei>u.

Eaite Randjam

Nìota

jparachoniak

Quote from: Nìota on February 15, 2010, 01:37:24 AM
Any tech-savvy Na'viya out there? Because I'm not, but I WANT ONE.

The electronics could do but the mechanical is just at the reach of my abilities but worth trying.

Where would we hat a 4x2x2 inch box for the actuators though in a more traditional na'vi garb?
mì Soviet Russia, ngal ke nume nìna'viti, ngati nume nìna'vil

Nìota

Hide it in the guise of some sort of pouch or sheath hanging from the belt?

jparachoniak

It needs to be right at the base of the tail though unless the break lines can be guided hrm ... one step at a time though :)
mì Soviet Russia, ngal ke nume nìna'viti, ngati nume nìna'vil

Nìota

Ah! I see what you're saying. I thought you meant the control panel housing. My bad. I'd have to take a good look at it again, but maybe I can think up something. I'm pretty good at problem solving.

That's an epic find! I love the way that guy made the tail to balance with his movement it's kinda ingenious. Lot's of great idea that I'm going to test when I'll have the time ;)