Author Topic: How should na'vi hair look like?  (Read 4111 times)

Offline Kisora

• Tawtute
  • 'ewana numeyu
How should na'vi hair look like?
« on: January 22, 2010, 11:41:38 pm »
Generally, how does thier hair look like? Is there some similarity in thier hairstyles?

Would love to know as I plan to grow my hair as alike as possible

Irayo

Offline Tìng Eywatikìte'e

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Palulukan Makto
  • Resident Xenoanthropologist
    • My Deviantart
Re: How should na'vi hair look like?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 01:56:19 am »
Well they appear to keep it long, with the females having a full head of hair and the males shaving the sides. It needs to be long enough for small braids. They also have high forheads and don't appear to traditionally wear bangs.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Offline Kaltxì Palulukan!

• Palulukan Makto
  • My job is to teach 100000 people Na'vi-Wanna help?
    • AdvancedTarotSecrets.com
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 02:20:28 am »
What Tìng said. But also:

This image pretty much says it all:

http://www.surrealaward.com/avatar/imagevideo/filmstill055.jpg

Tight, well wrapped cornrows, decorated with feathers (from the warbonnet plant--I think you would be allowed to use bird feathers here on Earth), and beads.
World's first na'vi podcast is here: http://media.podcastingmanager.com/9/0/7/3/4/253192-243709/Media/ATA-1.mp3

New Na'vi FUN activity book is here: Please click here to download your own (free) copy! I help you omum Na'vi! :-)

LOVE YOUR VEGGIES! Don't EAT them!     ----     Before Apollo there was Gaia.

[img]http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b31

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Palulukan Makto
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 02:37:55 am »
Heh, yes, cornrows >.> Totally what I meant to say.

And yes, go crazy with decorations. Jake's are pretty intense by the end. Feathers and beads seem to be the most common decoration.

Also note that for special occasions they may take their cornrows out, as Neytiri does at Jake's coming of age ceremony. When out their hair appears soft and somewhat wavy.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Offline Robert Nantangä Tirea

• Taronyu
  • Wintxu ngeyä tirea!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2010, 10:11:06 am »
A few technical notes abotu the hair:

1) Average queque(sp?) braid length ends near their butt. For a Na'vi, that would be about ~1.5 meters (~4-5 feet) from the top back of the head and for a human that would be up to ~1 meter (~3 feet) from the top back of the head. Braiding hair can cause it to lose anywhere from 1/3rd to 1/2 the total hair length so you'd need over a meter (4.5-6 feet) of hair BEFORE you braid it to get a good length queque.

2) Looking at my Jake Sully figurine, braid appears to be a normal 3-strand braid. Pulled from the front of the head back.

3) Not quite sure how to ties itself off at the end of the braid. I don't recall them using any ties or wraps so I think it's done naturally but I have no idea how this is.

I've always liked long hair (yes girls, long hair IS hotter!) but for one reason or another I ended up always cutting mine. Well, now I've sworn to never cut my hair (in a major way), for 10 years. By the time I am 30 I'll have 5 feet of hair which should be enough to braid a very nice 2.5-3 foot queque, considering the fact that I have very thick hair so I'll probably lose a lot of distance when I braid it.

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Offline Kisora

• Tawtute
  • 'ewana numeyu
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 10:36:08 am »
I can't open re link says 403 forbidden...

Thanks for the wonderful ideas (btw what's a cornrow?)
Braid might be a problem, no idea how to get of that long naturally, perhaps a shorter version...
Any more suggestions are welcome

• Taronyu
  • Wintxu ngeyä tirea!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2010, 11:32:34 am »
Braid might be a problem, no idea how to get of that long naturally, perhaps a shorter version...

Eat well, exercise, and don't get yourself killed. Hair grows by itself so give it the chance!

It takes just a few years, but last for a lifetime.

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Offline Rallion

• Ketuwong
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2010, 05:06:42 pm »
What is about dreadlocks, I have 30 - 50cm long dreads. I intend to grow them up to 1m. I think some of the  na'vi had a dreadlock like  hair style.

• Taronyu
  • Wintxu ngeyä tirea!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2010, 05:09:36 pm »
What is about dreadlocks, I have 30 - 50cm long dreads. I intend to grow them up to 1m. I think some of the  na'vi had a dreadlock like  hair style.

Yep, you can certainly do dreads and you're right it is a na'vi style some of them had it.. Don't forget you will still need a queue so don't make dreads out of all your hair.

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

• Palulukan Makto
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 05:10:55 pm »

Eat well, exercise, and don't get yourself killed. Hair grows by itself so give it the chance!

It takes just a few years, but last for a lifetime.

LOL!!! yes! I love that image!
World's first na'vi podcast is here: http://media.podcastingmanager.com/9/0/7/3/4/253192-243709/Media/ATA-1.mp3

New Na'vi FUN activity book is here: Please click here to download your own (free) copy! I help you omum Na'vi! :-)

• Palulukan Makto
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 05:22:10 pm »
I can't open re link says 403 forbidden...
Thanks for the wonderful ideas (btw what's a cornrow?)
Any more suggestions are welcome

First: what Robert Nantangä Tirea said. Also,

I put the image here, just for you:

http://www.dustywhite.net/delete%20this/filmstill055.jpg I will be taking that down in a day or two, after I know that you have it.

Cornrow is what is in the image. :) Tight, well-woven braid often confused with dreadlocks. Cornrows are precise and kept CLEAN. Dreadlocks are encouraged to "fuzz out a bit." You can unbraid cornrows. Dreads are permanent (snip!)

Now, as to whether you MUST have cornrows? Not really. Jake had straight hair for most of the movie. I *think* that was a non-Na'vi custom (see also Norm Spellman and Sigourney Weaver, not to mention the basketball-playing Av's), but it would be acceptable I think at any convention.

Finally: hair extensions (or a wig) work very nicely. It depends on your budget, and how permanent you want to go. Hair extentions can give you a ponytail in a day. You can also try a "clip on" or "tack on" ponytail (they do this in movies a lot) where your hair covers the plastic comb-like thing that is attached to the actual pony tail. The key of course is that your clip on pony tail must match YOUR hair color perfectly. After that, it's just a matter of hiding the "seam" under your own hair.

:)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 05:25:29 pm by dustywhite »

• Taronyu
  • Wintxu ngeyä tirea!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2010, 05:38:53 pm »
Finally: hair extensions (or a wig) work very nicely. It depends on your budget, and how permanent you want to go. Hair extentions can give you a ponytail in a day. You can also try a "clip on" or "tack on" ponytail (they do this in movies a lot) where your hair covers the plastic comb-like thing that is attached to the actual pony tail. The key of course is that your clip on pony tail must match YOUR hair color perfectly. After that, it's just a matter of hiding the "seam" under your own hair.

I was thinking about this recently in conjenction with the tsaheylu concept and I wound up thinking about how cool it would be to have like one of those Matrix style sockets on the back of your head that you could plag an "adapter cord" queue braid that can be used to interface electro-chemically like tsaheylu. Then you could change the queue out for different purposes like netowrking with a computer or something, and if it ever got caught or cut it wouldn't be a problem it would just disconnet from the back of your head and you could get a new one.

Yeah I know, my brain idling is a scary thing   :-\

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Offline Le'tutean

• Tawtute
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2010, 08:42:29 am »

Now, as to whether you MUST have cornrows? Not really. Jake had straight hair for most of the movie. I *think* that was a non-Na'vi custom (see also Norm Spellman and Sigourney Weaver, not to mention the basketball-playing Av's), but it would be acceptable I think at any convention.

I think Neytiri also had her hair loose in one scene. It was when Jake and Neytiri mated. Don't remember if it was just part of her hair loose, or all, but you can defo see it in movie.

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Palulukan Makto
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2010, 02:09:24 pm »
Yes, her hair is all the way loose in this scene.

The cornrows are about practicality as well as looking good. Loose long hair gets yucky and greasy very quickly, while cornrows stay neat and clean for a long period of time. Just look how nasty Jake's hair begins to look before he makes the change!
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Offline Le'tutean

• Tawtute
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2010, 04:53:09 pm »
Today i've seen Avatar again, and i've paid attention to the hair.

Neytiri had her hair changed quite a few times overall. But the loose hair that I've spotted for 100% was in the scene I've wrote about before (Jake and Neytiri mating) and also in the last scene, when Jake undergoes the "soul transfer" thingy. You can clearly see that Neytiri has part of her hair loose there too.

I also tried to spot this on other Na'Vi, but they are very rarely in-focus, so it's hard to tell. But i think most of them have cornrows anyway. Guess it's (like you've mentioned before) because it's very practical.

Also many of Omatikaya have the sides shaved clean (sort of mohawk, but with rest in cornrows). Like Tsu'tey - all the time, Jake in end of the movie. Many others un-named characters aswell. So that's a major trend among the Na'Vi.

Offline Rain

• Palulukan Makto
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 08:15:59 pm »
What say you about hats? I mean a hat that fits a human head snugly but has something like thin black yarn for hair? I was thinking of something that would be functional to wear in cold weather (as I write, it's snowing!!!) and yet awesome enough to wear to, say, the premiere of the next movie?
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

• Palulukan Makto
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 08:46:08 pm »
What say you about hats? I mean a hat that fits a human head snugly but has something like thin black yarn for hair? I was thinking of something that would be functional to wear in cold weather (as I write, it's snowing!!!) and yet awesome enough to wear to, say, the premiere of the next movie?

Well, at the moment, a "dyed-black" mop might work (in the Midwest). But by the time the NEXT Av movie will come out, expect full body make-up kits to be selling on Amazon. In fact, by THIS Halloween, expect really good Na'vi wigs. Avatar has not gone unnoticed by the make-up and costume industries. Expect cheap (crappy yet inexpensive) and professional ("too expensive") wigs to be commonplace very soon. So start a piggy bank if you want to stop traffic at the next Av premiere, but if you just want something fun right now, you should check up the previous posts. I think I put a link to the other "How to look like a Na'vi" threads that has videos on how to do amazing hair on the cheap and easy.

Offline Rain

• Palulukan Makto
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 09:10:31 pm »
Irayo, Kaltxi Palulukan! Although I was wondering about making hats, this was very informing. Thanks again!

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

• Palulukan Makto
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 09:14:41 pm »
Irayo, Kaltxi Palulukan! Although I was wondering about making hats, this was very informing. Thanks again!

Well, the reason I did not specifically mention hats (and I should have--sorry) is that We haven't seen a Na'vi design or wear a hat yet. I say "If you ant to try it--have at it!," but you might get some funny stares from (Na'vi) purists. Just so you know ahead of time--before you invest time and money.

Offline Rain

• Palulukan Makto
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 09:52:22 pm »
Ah purists be darned! I'm out for fun! LOL  :D

Become LearnNavi's friend on Facebook Follow LearnNavi on Twitter! Watch LearnNavi's videos on YouTube

SMF 2.0.18 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | XHTML | RSS | WAP2 | Site Rules

LearnNavi is not affiliated with the official Avatar website,
James Cameron, LightStorm Entertainment or The Walt Disney Company.
All trademarks and servicemarks are the properties of their respective owners.
Images in the LearnNavi.org Forums and Gallery may not be used without permission.

LearnNavi Affiliates:
ToS

LearnNavi is the community to learn Na'vi, the Avatar Language
"A place where real friendships are made." -Paul Frommer

AvatarMeet | Learn Na'vi Forum | Learn Na'vi Wiki | Na'viteri

LearnNavi