Author Topic: Is it possible to get a half-decent Na'vi costume together by... Saturday?  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Kesìltsamsiyu

• Tawtute
  • SCIENCE!!
So, I've just been invited to a friend of mine's scifi-themed birthday party, and I'm pretty sure that if I showed up as anything other than a Na'vi/Avatar, everyone who knows me will give me odd looks (We're going to disregard the odd looks I'd get from people who don't know me if I do). I've never really cosplayed anything before, but I figure if anyone would know how to do this, it'd be here. I was thinking about going dressed like the Avatars in the movie, because I already have a pair of beat-up khaki pants, I look better with a shirt on, I have zero access to sewing paraphernalia, and less paint means less money.

Anyhow, here's a list of things working for me:
About two digits worth of American currency
A Seattle metro bus pass (which I'm sure can take me to a costume shop)
The Power of friendship and determination. Mainly the second one.
A fair amount of mechanical know-how. (although its use is limited in my tiny apartment)
Freakish single-mindedness.
Free two-day shipping of almost anything from amazon.com
Coffee

And the list of things working against me:
Total lack of artistic ability and experience.
Synthetic Biology (Give it a few years, and perhaps it'll be on the other list, but until then, it amounts to a s*** of classwork)
Sleep deprivation

Anyhow, if I'm going to do this, I'm going to do it somewhat right, I don't approve of half-assing things, and I don't want to be "that guy" who ends up on failblog. However, keep in mind that this is the sort of engagement to which most people will be going to dressed in things that they came up with two days from now, so convention-standard quality is not something I'm really aiming for (or can afford, or have the time to build if I could)
Phase I: IPTG -> GFP
Phase III: Avatar Botany

Offline Technowraith

• Palulukan Makto
Re: Is it possible to get a half-decent Na'vi costume together by... Saturday?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 07:56:34 pm »
If you mean by this saturday, hmmm....

cyan blue body paint is needed, contacts optional if you can get them in time, a tail, a tsayhalu braid, a dark colored medium to long wig (if you want a separate tsayhalu braid, use a medium length wig. If you want your tsayhalu braid attached directly to the wig, then use a long length wig, around 40 -50 inches). RDA avatar form is probably easy to get for clothing. Boots, and a light tan or kaki color for the pants and shirt. A patch that says AVATAR or AVTR. For a prop, if you so choose, you need a anything that looks like the gun Jake carries when he first enters the forest with Grace and Norm. (Someone here used a modified  nerf gun).

See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Offline Kesìltsamsiyu

• Tawtute
  • SCIENCE!!
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 10:24:40 pm »
Yeah, this saturday :<. I've known it was happening for weeks, but I assumed I was not invited, because the person who's house it's at hates me (at least I thought she did, apparently I was wrong). Does anybody have any reference images of the defacto RDA avatar uniform? I've only got one, and it's just Jake from like the stomach up. If I knew what it looked like, I could probably find it, I live next to a university, so there's at least 4 used clothing stores within 2 miles of me. As for hair, tomorrow I'm going to experiment with mini-faston connectors to see if I can figure out how to add length to my hair without looking too conspicuous. Wigs don't exactly work on me, cause my hair is long enough that it sticks out and looks silly. As for props, the place is going to be ultra-crowded, so despite the fact that I think building an RDA-rifle would be really fun, I'm not going to do it. Contacts are out of the question, I already wear perscription contacts, so  :-\.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure I can take care of clothes, and I've got a pretty good idea how the queue (does "tsayhalu" mean queue? I've been wondering about that one for awhile) will work. I'm wondering about paint/makeup sorts of things, because if I have to order them, I'd like to do it tonight or when I wake up tomorrow morning, cause I can afford two-day fedex, but would have a very difficult time justifying overnight. Where's a good place to get it, and wouldn't I need a couple colors in order to get the sort of tiger-stripey effect that they have? Also, the little fluorescent dots are another thing that I'm not really sure about. How do people do those? I know getting them to actually glow is probably a bit out of scope (for this week, at least), but what do people use to do them? I've also got marginal-at-best ideas of how to do a tail, so any suggestions there would be nice.

I've got all of friday and saturday to work on it, assuming I can get the materials together. notice "freakish single-mindedness" in the list of things that are on my side, and given the quality I expect to end up with, construction time isn't really the constraining factor, getting things here is, so any suggestions for where to get things quick would be appreciated. Local to Seattle is ideal (I don't know if any of you are from around here), but anywhere that can ship two-day would work.

Offline Technowraith

• Palulukan Makto
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 10:56:58 pm »
Go to google, type in "avatar jake sully" but don't hit the search button just yet. In the upper left is a link that says "Images" Click it. Look through all the images. You'll find jake's avatar form, mostly in action figure form, but if the pictures are good enough, you'll have a decent reference. I saw a few on pages 2 and 3 of the results. didn't flip through all the pages though.
See that shadow? It's the last one you're gonna see.

Tsmukan fa kxetse anawm

Eaite Randjam

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 12:20:47 am »
The first thing I would worry about is your makeup.  If this occasion lasts more than an hour or two I'd go with Ben Nye brand theatrical makeup.  Party stores might have makeup, especially those that sell costumes.

For the tail, there are tutorials for making tails on youtube.  I've seen sewn and stuffed tails, and tails made from a carved up pool noodle.  Most tails are secured to your tush by means of a belt or something that attaches to your belt loops.

Offline Kesìltsamsiyu

• Tawtute
  • SCIENCE!!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 12:53:06 am »
Go to google, type in "avatar jake sully" but don't hit the search button just yet. In the upper left is a link that says "Images" Click it. Look through all the images. You'll find jake's avatar form, mostly in action figure form, but if the pictures are good enough, you'll have a decent reference. I saw a few on pages 2 and 3 of the results. didn't flip through all the pages though.

I was hoping to find a bit better than action figures, hence the asking, but if finding references is that difficult, it'll be impossible for anybody to call me on it.

The costume store in busing distance of my apt carries a ton of Ben Nye stuff, so thanks for that advice. What currently has me completely stumped is this legendary "cyan blue body paint" that everything seems to reference like it's made of unobtanium, but is apparently about that hard to find. (yes, I've googled it)

Eaite Randjam

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 12:58:38 am »
As far as I know you'll have to mix colors to make the blue colors.  I don't know how to do that though.

EDIT:  I spoke too soon.  There are some products by Ben Nye that are more for face painting, but you can still seal them on your skin for lasting makeup:

http://stageandtheatermakeup.com/bnmagiaq.htm
http://stageandtheatermakeup.com/bnmagilg.htm
http://stageandtheatermakeup.com/bnfire.htm
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 01:05:15 am by Eaite Randjam »

Offline Kesìltsamsiyu

• Tawtute
  • SCIENCE!!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 01:31:11 am »
As far as I know you'll have to mix colors to make the blue colors.  I don't know how to do that though.

EDIT:  I spoke too soon.  There are some products by Ben Nye that are more for face painting, but you can still seal them on your skin for lasting makeup:

http://stageandtheatermakeup.com/bnmagiaq.htm
http://stageandtheatermakeup.com/bnmagilg.htm
http://stageandtheatermakeup.com/bnfire.htm

Yeah, the costume store in Northgate has those, I'm more looking for something that I can get in large enough quantities to do arms and perhaps like half of legs, and unless that stuff is somehow magical and expands when presented with skin, it'll take like 40 bucks worth of it to do what I want to :(. I think I'll go buy some tomorrow and see how far I can stretch it.

Offline Tìng Eywatikìte'e

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Palulukan Makto
  • Resident Xenoanthropologist
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2010, 06:34:49 pm »
Ben Nye's stuff is really good and you only need a little bit to cover an area.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Offline Kesìltsamsiyu

• Tawtute
  • SCIENCE!!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 06:57:55 pm »
Ben Nye's stuff is really good and you only need a little bit to cover an area.

Yeah, it's pretty neat, I'm sitting here with a bunch of saran wrap around my keyboard screwing with blending shades trying to get it right. The look on my roomie's face when he walked in on me with 3 little things of makeup and a colossal picture of Jake Sully on my computer was priceless.

Also, angryface at former summer employer who made me cut my hair. It would be long enough to just dye and braid if it wasn't for him >:o. Now I've either got to get a wig or figure out how to do something with yarn. Also, if anybody has great ideas of how to do ears, let me know, cause the costume shop does not sell anything like them.

edit: Huzzah, I have a queue! Design mostly stolen from http://forum.learnnavi.org/cosplay-costuming/jake-sully-costume-%28v2%29-native-%28in-progress%29/15/

Under construction:

First time I've used that biology book all quarter

And the final product.

When normal people want to see the back of their head, they use two mirrors. When Kireyan wants to see the back of his head, he sets up his laptop on his bed and has a videoconference with his desktop.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 04:48:44 am by Kireyan »

Offline Kesìltsamsiyu

• Tawtute
  • SCIENCE!!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 01:22:47 pm »
And here's what I ended up with. Not quite up to the standards I see around here, but by "badly lit college costume party" standards, it was perfect.

edit: Oh crap, sorry for bumping my own post, I'd gotten used to forums that concatonate double posts together. Will have to break that habit.

Eaite Randjam

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2010, 04:50:31 pm »
Awesome looking job!  Were you a hit at the party?

Offline Robert Nantangä Tirea

• Taronyu
  • Wintxu ngeyä tirea!
    • Youtube Channel
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2010, 07:06:16 pm »
Awesome!!!

very very nice. You defenitely belong here in the Cosplay/Costume Forum  :D

Glad to see more guys doing Na'vi/Jake Sully costumes, you should DEFENITELY upload some pics to Cosplay.com. You would be the THIRD person ever with a Jake Sully cosplay on there (I was the first  ;D), claim yourself a slice of internet fame  :P

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Become LearnNavi's friend on Facebook Follow LearnNavi on Twitter! Watch LearnNavi's videos on YouTube

SMF 2.0.19 | SMF © 2021, Simple Machines | XHTML | RSS | WAP2 | Site Rules

LearnNavi is not affiliated with the official Avatar website,
James Cameron, LightStorm Entertainment or The Walt Disney Company.
All trademarks and servicemarks are the properties of their respective owners.
Images in the LearnNavi.org Forums and Gallery may not be used without permission.

LearnNavi Affiliates:
ToS

LearnNavi is the community to learn Na'vi, the Avatar Language
"A place where real friendships are made." -Paul Frommer

AvatarMeet | Learn Na'vi Forum | Learn Na'vi Wiki | Na'viteri

LearnNavi