Leather/Cord - Project Ideas?

Started by Robert Nantangä Tirea, January 14, 2010, 09:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Nantangä Tirea

Hey! So, I happen to have here some brown faux leather piece and cord.

The piece is about 8x11 inches (21x27 cm) and the cord is 4.5 ft long (1m+)

Being the handy-dandy craftsman I imagine myself, I want to find something cool and Na'vi-sh to make with it. I want to hear any ideas you might have for it before I decide.

Some ideas I've had:
Armband
wristguard
choker
talisman
make some goggles (like this idea)
knife sheath (need a knife though)

materials like wood/metal/wire/beeds/etc are or can be made at my disposal so I want to hear w/e you can think of!

Also, I love a good challenging project so if you would like me to try and make something let me know and if I think I can I'll make a tutorial. Hopefully I can build up a big enough collection of tutorial videos and devote a topic to share them with everyone.

Kìyevame! - Nantangä Tirea

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Tsway'eion

Nume fpi sänume

I like the idea of an intricate armband, perhaps with some kind of symbol burned into the leather (if you have the tools to do that) or as a piece for the goggles.

mO_Tan

what about making a bola? the weapon that the Na'vi warriors use to trap animals etc. the rope is about 4 feet long and is weighted at the end with polished seeds (which can, i suppose, be replaced by rocks or the like covered in leather). its the throwing rope thing they use on Jake and make him fall (remember that?) and capture him...

i would have endless fun playing around with that  :P
"Guys, come on. Whats wrong with this picture? Wheres my cigerette?"

Robert Nantangä Tirea

Quote from: mO_Tan on January 15, 2010, 09:29:03 AM
what about making a bola? the weapon that the Na'vi warriors use to trap animals etc. the rope is about 4 feet long and is weighted at the end with polished seeds (which can, i suppose, be replaced by rocks or the like covered in leather). its the throwing rope thing they use on Jake and make him fall (remember that?) and capture him...

i would have endless fun playing around with that  :P

oooooooh see this is why I made this forum lol. I like that idea. I could shape the seeds out of wood and use the leather to make the belt pouch for them. iiiiiinnnnterresting.......

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Rain

The first thing I thought of was to make a knife sheath, like you said. If this leather is raw enough, you can simply soak it in water and then wrap it around the knife you pan to use. If it's still pretty close to the raw stage, it should harden and sort of conform to the shape of the knife. It makes a really good sheath to hang from a belt.

My other thought was like a medicine-bag or a mini traveling-purse-like thing. All you'd have to do is trim the larger peice into a rough circle and peirce holes all around the edge. Then thread the string through the holes in an in-out-in-out fashion. When you pull the string taut, it will pull the leather circle into a pouch, which would be really useful to keep things in.
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine