Liquid Latex and minimal Acyrlic painting skillz

Started by Suteyä Hawnuyu, January 16, 2010, 09:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suteyä Hawnuyu

For Halloween, I want to be a Na'vi (of course). I thought I would throw my idea out there. Hasn't been tested, but should work.

Using blue liquid latex (Google it, lazy Ikran) I am planning on creating a face mask, and gloves. Then, using darker blue acrylic paint, I will paint on the stripes. With liquid latex, I will also be able to create a Na'vi snout. I will create their white, bioluminescent spots with glow in the dark white paint. Finally, I shall touch it up with makeup.

Opinions? Additions to the idea? Did this give you an idea?
Suteyä Hawnuyu te Gay'tä Muiä-Eyaye'ite

Nume fpi sänume

I like the idea. If you start working on it soon, you should have a really great looking one done by then. I dont have much experience working with liquid latex, but im interested in knowing how it turns out.

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Quote from: Nume fpi sänume on January 17, 2010, 05:04:53 AM
I like the idea. If you start working on it soon, you should have a really great looking one done by then. I dont have much experience working with liquid latex, but im interested in knowing how it turns out.

I'll keep you posted. :)

Eyaye Tskxe

Are you saying that you want to make a Na'vi mask that can be removed, or are you wanting to put the makeup directly on your face?

Either way, I don't think the method you're planning on using will work all that well. Liquid latex is more for creating skins over something. If you are wanting to make a mask and gloves, so you don't have to paint yourself, you're in for some work if you want it done right. To give a rundown, you'll need a lifecast of your face and hands, you'll have to sculpt the masks and gloves over that, make molds, and use latex or silicon to make your casting. I'm not saying it's impossible by any means, but if it's just for Halloween you may want to go with simply using make up.

For the makeup, you will still need a lifecast of your nose, so you can sculpt the snout, and you'll need to cast that in latex or silicon as well. You will then have to attach it to your face with some spirit gum or the like, and blend it with makeup (Which should be easy, because you'll be making up your whole face. There's some special make up you can get that is pretty durable, so you can use it for your hands.

I'm not trying to discourage you, I'm trying to let you know what you're in for if you want this to be a quality work. Lucky for you, you have all the way until October for this to happen. Lots of time to do things right.  :)

Ayfa'liyä omumyu

I have to echo Eyaye Tskxe, in that it is difficult to offer comment when it's not clear of your precise aim. The first and most important step in nearly any design or project is to know what your goals are, and to understand the limitations of the materials and your own abilities or skillsets. We may all want a car that does 0-60 in under 3 seconds AND gets 100 MPG, but that's generally not practical even if it is possible.

As has been said, if you're looking to have a removable (and re-usable) appliance, the process is going to be fairly intensive, though not necessarily difficult. The basic order is thus: Create a lifecast of the body part(s) which are to be modified (for which you'll need alginate and plaster bandages), sculpt the final design you wish to achieve on this lifecast (in sulphur-free clay), create a negative mould from this sculpt (various options, but usually plaster or gypsum cement), then, you can either slipcast latex into the negative, or use both positive and negative moulds together to cast a silicone appliance.

If you're not familiar with the terms or concepts we're putting forth, then, well... it's only just January! If you've never dealt with any of these sorts of things before, I would steer clear of silicone for now. Although it is a far superior material, it is more difficult to work with and much more expensive. I have fairly extensive experience with both these materials and various other resins and rubbers, so just ask if you have questions. There are a great number of resources on-line which can also guide you.

If you're planning to just directly apply latex body-paint, then you can mostly ignore what I've said. :)

Suteyä Hawnuyu

I'm thinking of directly applying the latex to my face, waiting until it dries, then peeling it off.

Eyaye Tskxe

Ah, I see. I suppose this could work, however, you'll have to be careful. You'll need to watch for the latex just dripping off, as it goes on in pretty thin layers Especially if you want to build up the Na'vi like snout, that will take a while. In addition, getting a nice consistent layer may be difficult. That being said, I have never tried it before, so, by all means, give it a shot if you think it will work,

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Quote from: Eyaye Tskxe on January 17, 2010, 08:47:26 PM
Ah, I see. I suppose this could work, however, you'll have to be careful. You'll need to watch for the latex just dripping off, as it goes on in pretty thin layers Especially if you want to build up the Na'vi like snout, that will take a while. In addition, getting a nice consistent layer may be difficult. That being said, I have never tried it before, so, by all means, give it a shot if you think it will work,

I can at least try it; if it doesn't work, makeup will be my friend. :P

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Suteyä Hawnuyu on January 17, 2010, 10:05:40 PM

Okay, I want to add  voice of support here. This is a GREAT idea. Here are your strong points:

1: desire (don't lose any of that over the coming months)

2: t-i-m-e. Halloween is MONTHS away, and although costume manufacturers are already scrambling to perfect crappy and not-so-crappy "Be a Na'vi" costumes for summer (which is the latest most large chains will even THINK of ordering for Halloween), you will have at your disposal several helpful costume pieces should you desire (costume jewelry, inexpensive accouterments, bits of clothing), and various body makeups. But, you also have time to play around with your own ideas, and the web is littered with professional guides and advice to get your skin blue, short of dying it with food color (that was not a suggestion by the way). Also, it seems people her like to help you figure out various ways to reach your blue-ness, so that is good.

3: Free advice from the pros. You may have to hunt them down, but several of the high-end costumers and makeup artists often like to casually help people who want to exercise their creativity by proffering sagely advice. It is possible to get specific questions answered and save yourself time and effort by reducing the trial and error necessary to figure out exactly which method you want to use.

The main points I think you are looking for are (in order) durability (it's no good if your costume or makeup wears off/falls off before the party is over), ease of creation, and only slightly less important: toxicity or allergic reaction. Having as much time as you do, you may want to set a loose schedule of what you want completed each month: e.g. securing a good pony tail, securing a good tail at all), costume ideas that help enhance the effect, possible contact lenses--you can get "all white contacts" so you might be able to find yellow ones through a professional optometrist. But because you have so much time, this is relatively stress-free if you pace yourself and plan it out to focus on what "you can do now," what you need to research, and what will have to wait for whatever reason.

Please keep us informed on your progress. We already have a Na'vi-esque knife maker and a Na'vi-esque jeweler in these forums, in addition to the expensive stuff you can buy online already, so you have quite a headstart on anyone who decides to "go native" in September.

:)
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Ayfa'liyä omumyu

Quote from: dustywhite on January 17, 2010, 11:24:42 PM
The main points I think you are looking for are (in order) durability (it's no good if your costume or makeup wears off/falls off before the party is over), ease of creation, and only slightly less important: toxicity or allergic reaction.

I'm sorry, but I really must revise the order of these points. Safety First!

If you are to be working with liquid latex, bear in mind that it generally contains contains ammonia. A well-ventilated workspace is essential, particularly if you are applying directly to yourself. Additionally, and very importantly, ammonia can cause damage to the eyes and even blindness. Again, use caution in applying this directly to your face - contact is not required - the fumes alone can cause corneal damage.

Non-ammonia latex is available, although even in these cases you should check to confirm you or whoever is handling or wearing the product is not allergic. Perform a test patch (back of the hand is generally a good spot to check). Even those without allergies may develop skin irritation. Using a product such as Top Guard can reduce or eliminate this irritation and also promote adhesion.

I hate to sound like some sort of PSA, but please, do be careful. As costuming supplies go, latex is fairly safe, but this does not excuse poor handing procedures.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Ayfa'liyä omumyu on January 18, 2010, 07:43:25 PM
The main points I think you are looking for are (in order) durability (it's no good if your costume or makeup wears off/falls off before the party is over), ease of creation, and only slightly less important: toxicity or allergic reaction.

I'm sorry, but I really must revise the order of these points. Safety First!

If you are to be working with liquid latex, bear in mind that it generally contains contains ammonia. A well-ventilated workspace is essential, particularly if you are applying directly to yourself. Additionally, and very importantly, ammonia can cause damage to the eyes and even blindness. Again, use caution in applying this directly to your face - contact is not required - the fumes alone can cause corneal damage.

Non-ammonia latex is available, although even in these cases you should check to confirm you or whoever is handling or wearing the product is not allergic. Perform a test patch (back of the hand is generally a good spot to check). Even those without allergies may develop skin irritation. Using a product such as Top Guard can reduce or eliminate this irritation and also promote adhesion.

I hate to sound like some sort of PSA, but please, do be careful. As costuming supplies go, latex is fairly safe, but this does not excuse poor handing procedures.

I have to agree. Sorry, I was making a rather poor attempt at humor. Safety is always first--I forgot that we were talking about latex for a while.

:(
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

jparachoniak

Does anyone know any good guides they recommend?

Irayo
mì Soviet Russia, ngal ke nume nìna'viti, ngati nume nìna'vil

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: jparachoniak on January 20, 2010, 08:02:02 AM
Does anyone know any good guides they recommend?

Irayo

There are several professional guides I have owned in the past, but working with an algenate or latex is pretty heavy duty stuff. If you just want to look like a Na'vi, but you really want it to come out well, I think your best bet would be to go with body paint, a nose sculpture, and focus on things like extremely good looking head gear (discussed in the "flying goggles" thread), jewelry (addressed in any of the jewelry threads), clothing, and stripes (discussed in the airbrush makeup, and other threads). You could get away with the most minimal of braided sandals, and to the non Na'vi aficionado you would look amazing if you were blue, had a convincing tail, queue (hair extensions), and the nose right. Stripes and dots would help you pass the strictest inspection. And you don't have to be ten feet tall. The problem with the tail is that it would have to wrap around you a bit, curl between your legs, or hang straight down (which ruins the affect), otherwise it will be flapping about hitting everyone and everything behind you, which gets annoying at a party real fast.

Anyway, I will look around for some easy-to-follow guides, but in the meantime, you may want to scour the costume threads for some free and extremely useful info. You will most likely find the answers to everything you want to know already answered. i have seen several videos posted already.

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Quote from: Suteyä Hawnuyu on January 17, 2010, 10:05:40 PM

Okay, I want to add  voice of support here. This is a GREAT idea. Here are your strong points:

1: desire (don't lose any of that over the coming months)

2: t-i-m-e. Halloween is MONTHS away, and although costume manufacturers are already scrambling to perfect crappy and not-so-crappy "Be a Na'vi" costumes for summer (which is the latest most large chains will even THINK of ordering for Halloween), you will have at your disposal several helpful costume pieces should you desire (costume jewelry, inexpensive accouterments, bits of clothing), and various body makeups. But, you also have time to play around with your own ideas, and the web is littered with professional guides and advice to get your skin blue, short of dying it with food color (that was not a suggestion by the way). Also, it seems people her like to help you figure out various ways to reach your blue-ness, so that is good.

3: Free advice from the pros. You may have to hunt them down, but several of the high-end costumers and makeup artists often like to casually help people who want to exercise their creativity by proffering sagely advice. It is possible to get specific questions answered and save yourself time and effort by reducing the trial and error necessary to figure out exactly which method you want to use.

The main points I think you are looking for are (in order) durability (it's no good if your costume or makeup wears off/falls off before the party is over), ease of creation, and only slightly less important: toxicity or allergic reaction. Having as much time as you do, you may want to set a loose schedule of what you want completed each month: e.g. securing a good pony tail, securing a good tail at all), costume ideas that help enhance the effect, possible contact lenses--you can get "all white contacts" so you might be able to find yellow ones through a professional optometrist. But because you have so much time, this is relatively stress-free if you pace yourself and plan it out to focus on what "you can do now," what you need to research, and what will have to wait for whatever reason.

Please keep us informed on your progress. We already have a Na'vi-esque knife maker and a Na'vi-esque jeweler in these forums, in addition to the expensive stuff you can buy online already, so you have quite a headstart on anyone who decides to "go native" in September.

:)

Irayo very much for the information. I shall try to pace myself. I also karma'd you, as you are extremely helpful.

Kxalatsi

If you'd like to purchase a prosthetic for a Na'vi look I would suggest http://www.northfur.ca/.  They acquired cat masks from a company called Lyonshel and I have owned several of these over the years for LARPing.  They are made from foam latex and look amazing and actually move with your face. http://www.alliancelarp.com/photos/p106.jpg  This is me in the (formerly) Lyonshel prosthetic as Kalaji, which became Kxalatsi for my forum name.

Another prosthetic company is Scream Team. Their site is down right now, but Google it later if you want.  Their best one for a Na'vi style looks a bit like Vincent from the 80's BEAUTY AND THE BEAST show.

Kxalatsi

Suteyä Hawnuyu

Quote from: Kxalatsi on February 05, 2010, 03:09:01 AM
If you'd like to purchase a prosthetic for a Na'vi look I would suggest http://www.northfur.ca/.  They acquired cat masks from a company called Lyonshel and I have owned several of these over the years for LARPing.  They are made from foam latex and look amazing and actually move with your face. http://www.alliancelarp.com/photos/p106.jpg  This is me in the (formerly) Lyonshel prosthetic as Kalaji, which became Kxalatsi for my forum name.

Another prosthetic company is Scream Team. Their site is down right now, but Google it later if you want.  Their best one for a Na'vi style looks a bit like Vincent from the 80's BEAUTY AND THE BEAST show.

Kxalatsi

That's a good idea! I shall feed you a delicious gingersnap-karma cookie!

Kxalatsi

Irayo ma 'eylan

My profile pic is with my current version of the Lyonshel prosthetic, if you were curious.