Look like the na'vi :D

Started by Älskxa'way, January 15, 2010, 10:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Älskxa'way

Talkxi!

I thought this vid might be useful for you guys :)

*You can use a wig also if you want like he does afterwards.

He's a make-up artist that actually does a really good job of making his face look like the navi + he only uses make-up in this tutorial.  For most of you guys this would be plenty enough but....

if you want to make it more realistic you could use common "scar or nose or morticians" wax from costume stores to round your nose off first like the navi: heres a link to Skxawng's guide on Navi noses http://forum.learnnavi.org/fan-art/na'vi-avatars-noses-and-you/ to help you out on the look

if you don't know how to apply the wax

Heres another video of the same person doing Jokers face with the wax; he talks about how he applies the wax which uses basically the same principles that your going to use.

Dark Knight Joker Makeup Tutorial

hes a pretty cool guy and if you like cosplay or costumes subscribe to him; he has alooot more videos of other make-up techniques you can use and apply to your navi look.

And if you really want a clean look you can also hide your eyebrows so they don't show when your finished. Heres another video of him teaching you how.

Covering Eye Brows (2 ways!)

**Do this and the wax before you put the make up on.

Also getting fangs will pull off the whole look, though by my observations from the movie and some pictures (I'm not sure it's been a while) I suggest you don't get very long and pointy fangs like vampires but a little bit shorter and rounder but still is pointed (if that makes any sense ;p)

I made this in a minute lol to show what i mean xD

Contacts lenses will also help make your eyes look alot bigger

heres another person who talks about the look of the navi and make-up but not as a costume design but more as a fashion and uses contacts and techniques to make her eyes look bigger

*note custom contacts can get pricey at times (even non prescribed ones)

Heres some links for some of the items

Wax - http://www.coolcostume.com/subcat_results.asp?search=Wax-Molding%20Compounds&ItemCategory=Makeup

Fangs (these look like good ones and should work perfectly for the navi look)- http://www.mostlydead.com/Vampire-Fangs,-Creature-teeth,-Claws/c7/p158/Small-Subtle-Fangs-(White,-Glow-&-Metallic)/product_info.html

Contact lenses -

http://www.customcontacts.com/home.html

(Canada) http://www.clearlycontacts.ca/contact-lenses/colour-contacts/cColors-p1.html

*note i have not tried this yet or have had any experience with it :\ 

I don't have alot of make up around (im a guy xD) and im too busy right now lol; maybe when i get free time I'll try it and post the results.

lol my second post only, srry if its not up to standards :)

good Luck!

Nume fpi sänume

Great post, very useful information. Between all the pieces we have coming together here, we should be able to create some very good looking costumes.

Nattiri

It's so wonderful!It will be fine to organize an Avatar party, where everyone will be with this make up on. ;D

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Very helpful. Thanks

I am stunned by the creativity and helpfulness on this site. I think I will talk to seabass about plopping down my sleeping bag in an unused corner and officially moving in to this forum. I like it here a lot more than San Diego.

. . . Now how to go about digitizing myself . . .
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Älskxa'way

Quote from: dustywhite on January 17, 2010, 01:37:00 PM
Very helpful. Thanks

I am stunned by the creativity and helpfulness on this site. I think I will talk to seabass about plopping down my sleeping bag in an unused corner and officially moving in to this forum. I like it here a lot more than San Diego.

No problem :)

Btw I have that same problem ^^

Eywal ngaru teing oeti

Quote from: Älskxa'way on January 18, 2010, 06:21:15 PM
Quote from: dustywhite on January 17, 2010, 01:37:00 PM
Very helpful. Thanks

No problem :)

Btw I have that same problem ^^

I might join ya!

I might make a avatar costume for halloween. I'm thinking about it.

Rain

Quote from: Nattiri on January 17, 2010, 10:13:13 AM
It's so wonderful!It will be fine to organize an Avatar party, where everyone will be with this make up on. ;D

I would SO go to this! I do believe the site has my e-mail...OMG I think we need a newsletter! Okay random outbursts over now.

But I did also want to say that this guy really impressed me!
"If there are self-made purgatories, then we shall all have to live in them."
-Spock, "This Side of Paradise"

"The greatest danger about Pandora is that you may come to love it too much." ~Grace Augustine

Kxani

Cool to see how easy it is to costumize your self to an Avatar/Na'Vi . :)

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

That guy is officially one of my favorite youtubers ever...

Thank you so much for posting this!
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Kaltxì Palulukan!

I have to agree with Ting. This is my favorite single page in this entire forum. All these videos are priceless. thank you everyone for contributing.
2022 update: Working on the new astrology book. "How to read tarot" books are on Amazon, if you are into that sort of thing.
Okay, so the old podcast is here: https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/radioavatar It was goofy fun that ended too soon, but we had creative people. I hope we can get a new gang together (interested? PM me, let's make some magic!)
(Very old, outdated) Na'vi FUN activity book is here: But what are you doing? Let me know! :)

Älskxa'way

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on February 03, 2010, 02:15:36 AM
I have to agree with Ting. This is my favorite single page in this entire forum. All these videos are priceless. thank you everyone for contributing.

No problem guys; anything for the community :)

Kxani

Totally great video! really! :) good job!

Eaite Randjam

The first and third videos were my favorite and most helpful to me.  It makes me want to go out to the nearest Ben Nye dealer to make up my face!

Kxani

I thought all of them was good :)

Blossom

I was looking for this one :D I knew it had to be up here somewhere, and if not, I was going to post it myself ;D
Petrilude is an amazing make-up artist. I was there at the beginning with him and
he really does amazing things. His halloween tutorials are wonderful.

Nìota

Quote from: Eaite Randjam on February 06, 2010, 01:42:01 PM
The first and third videos were my favorite and most helpful to me.  It makes me want to go out to the nearest Ben Nye dealer to make up my face!

Ben Nye owns my face.  I've been using their stage and special effects make up since my obsession with CATS the musical 12 years ago.  I can't wait to start putting together my costume and see every one else's progress in this area!
Eywa-l oe-yä san menari sìk hawn<ei>u.

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Nìota on February 10, 2010, 11:43:21 PM
Quote from: Eaite Randjam on February 06, 2010, 01:42:01 PM

Ben Nye owns my face.  I've been using their stage and special effects make up since my obsession with CATS the musical 12 years ago.  I can't wait to start putting together my costume and see every one else's progress in this area!
Well, welcome to the family, and I hope we get to see progress you make. As a teen my dream was to enroll in Joe Blasco's FX make-up school and get a job doing FX. I never got there, but I did get into the industry for a number of years. I love costuming and make-up, but I know far more about costumes than I ever will about make-up, so I am eager to learn from everyone who has experience. I am also looking forward to the eventual Av cons, so we can meet up and admire each other wearing blue.

Question: Are sea-Navi's green? I am just wondering what a Na'vi mermaid would look like.

Nìota

Quote from: Kaltxì Palulukan! on February 10, 2010, 11:55:53 PM
Well, welcome to the family, and I hope we get to see progress you make. As a teen my dream was to enroll in Joe Blasco's FX make-up school and get a job doing FX. I never got there, but I did get into the industry for a number of years. I love costuming and make-up, but I know far more about costumes than I ever will about make-up, so I am eager to learn from everyone who has experience. I am also looking forward to the eventual Av cons, so we can meet up and admire each other wearing blue.

Question: Are sea-Navi's green? I am just wondering what a Na'vi mermaid would look like.

No idea about any see-Na'vi, but I can only imagine that the critters in the oceans of Eywa'eveng are MUCH bigger and scarier even than the most ferocious and beautiful of Earth.

I'm an amateur when it comes to costuming, but I've got a bit of talent.  One of my personal plans is to put my CATS body-suit experience to use and make a 'second skin' so that I can be Na'vi more often with less expense and effort.  I don't want to have to go through trying to do such intricate make up on my back every time I want to go running around like a pretty blue kitty, because I have a feeling it's going to be fairly often. :)

Kaltxì Palulukan!

Quote from: Nìota on February 11, 2010, 04:45:24 AM
I'm an amateur when it comes to costuming, but I've got a bit of talent.  One of my personal plans is to put my CATS body-suit experience to use and make a 'second skin' so that I can be Na'vi more often with less expense and effort.  I don't want to have to go through trying to do such intricate make up on my back every time I want to go running around like a pretty blue kitty, because I have a feeling it's going to be fairly often. :)

You know, that may end up being a breakthrough in costuming around here. We have several people working on various parts of costuming, but your idea/experience may really make it a lot easier for the rest of us, those with no theater experience, to end up with MUCH better costumes. Halloween is coming--a little closer every day, and most of us will ignore it until the 15th (of October). I have a good feeling about this. Again, please keep us in the loop.

Nìota

I'll make an in-detail post about it soon! :D  I am so glad there are so many other people as excited about this as I am, and willing to share their ideas and experiences so that everyone can be their best possible Na'vi! Irayo, Kaltxì Palulukan!