Looking like Norm Spellman

Started by 'awpo pesu nume, January 20, 2010, 11:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'awpo pesu nume

Hey, looking for some help with something thats proving to be hard to find.
No, I'm not looking for something Na'vi-ish, im actually looking for something very similar to what Norm Spellman wore.
My roommate pointed out that I look quite a bit like Norm (except for my hair being copper red I guess) and am the same caliber of geek... I even want to become an anthropologist, love studying culture and languages. Go figure. After he pointed this out, allot of my friends ended up agreeing after I jokingly changed my FB profile pic to the one in the link.

But to mess with them, I thought I would start dressing like Norm. But I'm having the hardest time finding a safari vest allot like his in the movie.
http://james-camerons-avatar.wikia.com/wiki/File:Spellman.png
I have no problem getting a maroon t-shirt and I have kaki pants, but the vest is it. Preferably one with a similar collar.

Hope I put this in the right section :P and that someone may be able to help  ;D
Just another culture loving linguistic geek who has been told he looks a lil bit like Norm Spellman. lol.

keye'ung makto

should be in the cosplay section,

try a military surplus place they have jackets like that

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Yay for fellow anthropologists! (I'm working on double majoring in psych and anthropology)

This should be moved to cosplay.

Value Village/Goodwill are your best friends when it comes to costume hunting.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

'awpo pesu nume

Wow, I'm so sorry. I don't know how I over looked that... :-[ ???
Just another culture loving linguistic geek who has been told he looks a lil bit like Norm Spellman. lol.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

It's all good, a mod will move it when they get around to it!
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

keye'ung makto

yup the mods are chill about it ^_^   ;D

Ftiafpi

I side by side comparison when you're done would be awesome.

keye'ung makto

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Srane, we must see this comparison for ourselves!
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Robert Nantangä Tirea

Tìng Eywatikìte'eyä suggestion of Goodwill/Value Village/thriftstore are excellent options. If you don't find what you want on the first visit, go back in a couple of days as these places tend to move inventory fairly quickly and there's always fresh items to check out. Most places will give you return options as well so if you think you find a piece for your outfit that is almost but not quite what you want, you can always return it if you find something better the next day and use the store credit on it.

An eBay search for Safari Vest turns up a great selection with reasonable pricing. This vest looks a lot like Norms, and appears to be roughly the right shade of olive/tan.

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Oh internets, what would we do with out you?
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

keye'ung makto

lol 
lets see.

absolutly nothing

Swok Txon

LOL NORM SPELLMAN

biggest geek! rotflol

*GASP*

I HAVE THAT SHIRT THING!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

I have to love norm. Even if he's the type of anthropologists that more belongs in a teaching setting than on the field. He's a bit...sociably awkward, which is never the best quality of a field anthropologist that must interact with a native population. But oh well, he's still fantastic.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

'awpo pesu nume

Robert, you are awesome! I'll have to get a medium, but irayo!
I've looked around here in downtown Chicago, but there isn't too much without having to go farther out.
Plus, add the tax around here, 10% just here in the city. Another 2 for the state or county or something.

I would love to do a side by side. Now, my friends think I look like him, and I guess I do except for the red hair, so hopefully it comes out right. Dont blame me if it doesn't turn out so much, im just going with what friends were saying.

I'll have to get some new cargo pants, I discovered that I haven't worn mine in forever since Florida is home for me, which means shorts. But, I need some anyways! Funny enough, I actually always wanted one of those safari vests when I was little. Who knows, I might just include the vest as part of my daily wear if I like it enough.  :D And I've already got some hiking boots, which are perfect, ill just let my hair grow out a bit more and not shave for a bit and see how that works.

And I agree Ting. Thankfully im not as socially awkward. But I am just as much of a geek though.

'awpo pesu nume

Hmm. Just noticed it did't have the same collar like style as the character, but I sure thats just something special made by costuming.

Tìng Eywatikìte'e

Oh I'm just as geeky as well  ;D

Hmmm with the collar you'll probably just have to find similar fabric and sew it yourself. It shouldn't be too difficult.
Oeri lu Eywayä 'eveng

Robert Nantangä Tirea

I just picked the first one that caught my eye in the search page. There were pages of results so you can probably find something better if you look thru them. If you have an REI near you I would check it out they sell those kinds of fishing/hunting vests.

How does a man choose between fresh and fly?

COSPLAY LIKE A BOSS!

NotW Celebrity #11!

'awpo pesu nume

I had allot of time to kill, so I stumbled upon two more vests here as well as some weird school uniforms site. The one's picture looks a bit corny...
These two and the one that Robert found appear to be my best options. Any suggestions between the three?
I'm terrible at narrowing down choices sometimes  :P