Native American clothes & stuff (cause' N.A. are small Na'vi without tail XD )

Started by xelloss, July 22, 2014, 02:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hufwe ta'em

Tìtstewan

Awesome images and exellent work, ma Xelloss! :D +1!

@Hufwe ta'em
You should quote Xelloss' awesome images instead me. ;D :P :P ;D

-| Na'vi Vocab + Audio | Na'viteri as one HTML file | FAQ | Useful Links for Beginners |-
-| Kem si fu kem rä'ä si, ke lu tìfmi. |-

Toliman

As I wrote, it's wonderful :D

+1 also from me :)

xelloss

Kaltxì ma tsìnga tsmuktu

Quote from: Eana Unil on January 06, 2017, 04:59:12 PM
Tewti... this looks so beautiful and like a ton of work. Or 10 tons, hrh.
10 tons, yes... a very long work  ;D

Quote from: Toliman on January 06, 2017, 05:02:52 PMTsa'u lu kosman nìwotx :) Wonderful work :)
Lekye'unga tìkangkem, oe peng  :D

Seiyi iraymeo ngar nang, ma Hufwe ta'em sì Tìtstewan   :-[

And now... the back  ;D

Lekye'unga tìkangkem ayngahu frakrrr !
Le premier homme qui est mort à du être drôlement surpris.
Partir c'est mourir un peu, et mourir c'est partir beaucoup.
La Terre est basse.
Les lénitions, en rouge

Le Na'vi fpi Ayskxawng 2022

xelloss

Kaltxì ma frapo

Between two bead-time, you must do other stuff...
(This is my psychologist's advise... euh, i think ;D )

Here is a stock nailed "Lakota style"  8)
(present for a friend  ;) )

And here, the proof that cats are time-eater    :o  ;D

Ayioi ayngahu frakrr !
La Terre est basse.
Les lénitions, en rouge

Toliman

Kaltxì ma xelloss :)

Tsa'u eltur tìtxen si ;D :)
These black and white images looks very nice.

Quote from: xelloss on January 15, 2017, 06:45:35 AM
And here, the proof that cats are time-eater    :o  ;D
;D

xelloss

Kaltxì ma smuktu

Seiyi irayo ngar , ma Toliman  :D
Ha, ayrel amip set nang   ;)

Tse,
Let's start with few Roleplay  :D

Today a messenger arrived with presents to my attention from Charles Philbert because i had repaired his guns
The messenger told me that the man who made the objects is called Thierry Le Moigne ...
I will have to find his home and thank him one day.

--------

You can see all the creations inside the Thierry Le Moigne's page
Pictures in tecnicolor ;)

A beautiful case that will protect my future obsidian knife :o

Hunting pouch.
This one has a strange peculiarity, no need to undo the belt to hang the object.
It is very clever.  :D

A pair of beaded garters.
I was just observing that my new leggings were austere.
These are certainly not ceremonial leggings, but a few ornaments will not be too much  ;)

Well, it's all right, I'll have to muscle a little these Cub legs ... ;D

This item is a nice surprise, a pocket to store the needles.
It seems to me that design is Kiowa ... I have a hint now, concerning location of Thierry.  :-\

An amulet equiped with a Medicine.
The animal is so well represented that it seems alive ... :D

Sure, il will wear it proudly !

Prrkxentrrkrr
:D

The most assiduous of you will have noticed a pair of new leggings on the previous pictures ;)
This is normal, they have been created recently.
On these, no decorations or ornaments except fringes
(The minimum :D)
The most assiduous of the assiduous will have noticed the absence of the beaded garters made by Thierry
Logic, this absence, because the shot was taken before having received the package

Any audiovisual production has to have a small MakingOf and if possible a blooper of good quality ... :D

You want to make pictures ?
You have cats?
Sorry, but these two activities are incompatible

Note that as soon as you have removed the card from the camera, the cats will sleep ...
It's tiring to come and bother Humans

The decor is planted
You blink
And poff... two cats  :o

Cats that not only place themselves stacked in the field, but also on the main element ...
The place where you are going to put your ass  ;D

Horus: Can I sleep while you're grooming me?
Xelloss: Great Scott, what did you do two seconds ago?
Horus: I was sleeping, but it's more comfortable here ...
Xelloss: Run, do something!
Horus: Can I lick you under your arm?
Xelloss: Rontududjuuu! >:(
Horus: Okay, okay ...

Pìwopx: Horus, stop annoying Xell and come near the fire!
Horus : Yep, mom
Xelloss : Dutujuuuuu...  >:(

Pìwopx : You're not gonna complain, more ... for once we stand still and do not jump on your camera ...  ungrateful!  :D

Ayioi alor ayngahu frakrr
La Terre est basse.
Les lénitions, en rouge

Toliman

It's all again wonderfull :)

Teyra mefalulukantsyìpìl tok fìtsengeti nìmun nìteng ;D :)

xelloss

Kaltxì ma Toliman

Irayo ngar kop nang  :D

Tìyawr ngaru, fìmefalulukantsyìp treok fra'u  ;D

Hmm, kxawm, sute ke new ziva'u Keypukmì... ha :

Ayrel alor ayngahu frakrr !
La Terre est basse.
Les lénitions, en rouge

xelloss

Kaltxì ma smuktu   : 

We kicked somes Long Knives's ass so harder that lot of us think they will never come again in our holy lands...
But i'm sure they will try again to stole the Black Hills, and it's time to create a new breastplate
----
The sheath, hunting bag, needle case and garters were manufactured by Thierry Le Moigne

Did you see it coming ?
Did you see the tail ?

What a beautiful camera
He did not notice me...
So, wait for his face when he will extract this picture  ;D

Ioi letsam ayngahu frakrr !
La Terre est basse.
Les lénitions, en rouge

Toliman

Mouse

I always  try my best to support another's creativity. However, as an enroleld tribal member myself I can't unsee this post and it is my responsibility to say something having seen it.
My concern is for mainly two things, but first a compliment. I see you're really devoted to the crafts you are working on and interested in continuing these beautiful pieces so they are not lost to other generations and that is good and you are correct there are many similarities between the na'vi and the various native people particularly the plains people in the united states. I am enrolled cherokee but i was raised by the lakota (dances with wolves tribe) and adopted into their tribe as well....
There are certain things that are used at certain times in our way and or made that are not toys. The curved staff in one of your photos is actually a eagle staff which is a symbol similar to a flag, that has to be taken care of a certain way (regardless if feathers are on it or not) there are ceremonial procedures, when you are out of town people have to care for it in your absence. There are certain staffs that come out for certain events etc. There are death staffs, pow wow staffs, family staffs etc.
The pipe is also something that isn't used outside of ceremony and certainly not used in a prop for photos... I can only ask this in a good way that as you express yourself please try to understand the symbols you are borrowing from another culture and the rules that apply to them.
Knives, leggings, i don't worry about everyday clothing etc, your breastplate is terrific as is your armband, again my only concerns are the more spiritual pieces, and I don't know you but i know that you're here in a good way and it would never be your intention to hurt anyone or do this on purpose.

I encourage anyone to participate in a culture, but, if you participate in a culture you must also go by our rules. I look forward to more of your posts, I make my entire living as an artist and i enjoy other's art tremendously and i look forward to seeing your pieces come along further I hope this is taken in a good way and it is not meant to crush your spirit, just know that down the road another native may not say it as nicely as I have. I hope this is taken in a good way. I can not tell another what to do, just be aware of what the symbols are before using them is all I ask. I'm more than happy to help you if you have questions on particular items. I love the blending of the more Na'vi symbol on your shield for example, that is EXCELLENT!!! :) you have used a creative na'vi symbol that you understand the use vs a native one that you may not have rites to use :) I hope this all makes sense.

xelloss

Kaltxì ma Mouse
Ngengati kamuye

First... i notice a Lacrosse stick on your avatar's picture is that a picture of you ?

As you can see i practice "Gn" (i will explain "Gn" later  ;) )
I do my best to create my own stuff via the "old" methods because my character live during the period of  the early encounters with Europeans people
And this character has an history which grow up during each "Gn"
The "curved staff" is not the Pìwopx's Coup Stick but it belonged to his father
=> During my (very long) searching period concerning Coup Stick, i noticed, that Sticks may have Eagle feather, so i put one on my Coup Stick
Maybe i made a huge mistake, but the results of my research seem to show that the type of stick I created was used for war too

My pipe is a Travel Pipe i bought at Assiniboines Tipi (awesome website with sympathic people :D )
(I have not the skill to create my own catlinite pipe  ;D )
Slä, i don't want to buy a Peace Pipe because i would like to see a ceremony before
I prefere wait and smoke my Travel Pipe rather than using a Peace Pipe with no knowledge  ;)
(I translated the Filling Pipe Song in Na'vi because my character use Na'vi language in Gn ;) (my Lakota speech is awful... This language is a pain   ) )

the two only times i use my pipe is during photography time (when i create parts of Pìwopx's life) and during my relaxing-smoking time when i lock a half hour for me ;)
(I buy Kinnikinnick on Assiniboines Tipi too  :D )

Don't worry about the Spiritual Pieces, i spend lot of my time in research before creating an object and i try to respect a lot the spirituality of each stuff i create ;)
I read a lot... a lot  ;D

Quote from: Mouse on March 02, 2017, 04:15:01 PMI'm more than happy to help you if you have questions on particular items.
I'm happy to hear that, i have lot of questions ;)
Actually, my biggest question which is obsed me is "what was the hygienic Lakota method ?"
washing clothes, hairs, body
Did they washed their teeths ? (with what tool / product)
Tse, what was the tools products they used to keep them clean  :D
In my opinion, in books, and website, there is a lack concerning this part of Old Native life  :(

Quote from: Mouse on March 02, 2017, 04:15:01 PMI love the blending of the more Na'vi symbol on your shield for example, that is EXCELLENT!!  :) you have used a creative na'vi symbol that you understand the use vs a native one that you may not have rites to use :) I hope this all makes sense.
Hew, the Sheild's symbol... a whole history that mix real life and my character  ;D
If you see the wolf's head with attention, you notice that the wolf's mouth is quite strange... it seems more like a beak..
In lot of nights i made the same dream.
Inside, i play near a thìpi with a dog (or a wolf) which looks like siberian husky (not the most strange dream, i say  ;D)
But... The mouth of the wolf is a mixture between a large beak and a wolf's mouth
(yes, THIS part of the dream was absolutly strange  ;D )
And when i was searching informations about Lakota shields, i remembered this recurring dream :D
So i placed the "wolf's dream" inside the story of Pìwopx

Okay, so, i think all people is thinking "hey, guy, when did Xell will speak about Gn ?"
Gn is a contraction of "RpGn"
In english, "Role Playing Game in Nature"
Rp is a game which is played around a table in opposition with the RpGn which is played... in real sites ;)
Here is pictures of the Gn BlackHill 1876
=> not all the stuff/clothes are accurate because Gn is not reenactment, and lot of players come without stuff/clothes, so wee must create objetcs/clothes to lend

Three pictures which are just awesome... check détails ;)
Reproduction of the real General Store book of 1874  :o

See the details in the doctor's cabinet

i'vong Native People    :D
La Terre est basse.
Les lénitions, en rouge

Mouse

Yeah that's me in the photo in my traditional regalia and haircut (right now i'm growing it long) The stickball stick is the game lacrosse is based on but it's more of a spiritual piece for me. My soulmate died and so when I do my spiritual dances I play stickball with his spirit to bring him into the arena.

Lakota language is tough but it's the language to which rites are given and must only be used in a certain way.  A lot of us must learn the pipe song as the first step in obtaining pipe rites from the people. We can't just make or buy pipes they have to be given by someone to you in a specific manner.

Alot of our ceremonial stuff is not found in books, and the books you find are written by non-natives who exploit those of us who share teachings.

For clean,
First unlike commercial tanned leather the brain tan stuff can be washed and will dry soft. (Some people have even been able to put it in the washer!!! although i have never tried mine)
second, bear fat has many uses and many of our people used the bear fat to make soaps mixed with natural plants etc. So we used that a lot :) The bear fat was also used for bug repellent in the summer.
As far as like deodorant umm Idk if we actually used it.... I mean we would burn sage and wash daily (yes even in winter) so we bathed daily. I know when i go out with my friends we move rocks in certain parts of the river to pool the water a bit so it is warmer and we wash there. But we had lots of soaps and other things would vary by location and what plants were there.
Many native people used plants to rinse their mouths etc but i would have to ask an elder if we actually had tools. Processed sugars etc were not on this continent so tooth decay would be an interesting study indeed.
So GN is kind of like steampunk? You have a character with a history etc?
You're welcome to PM me with questions but I prob wont be able to answer a lot publicly, but i'm happy to get to know you <3

xelloss

Kaltxì ma Mouse

Hay ! thanks for your quick answer ;)
I love the Lacrosse game but i can't find teams near my home, so i practice Kyudo  :D
(yes, this is absolutly not the same game  ;D )

Quote from: Mouse on March 05, 2017, 02:55:41 PMMy soulmate died and so when I do my spiritual dances I play stickball with his spirit to bring him into the arena.
Hew...I don't know what to say ...
i will use Na'vi words.
Keftxo nang, oe peng  :(

At the begining, i started to learn Lakota because my biggest dream was to travel US from Est to West, and i think if i can speak with Natives in thier language, it will be better ;)
I am fighting with this language since... 1997

(but i never finded people to speak with... internet was 56k and slooow when i started to learn  ;D )
I hope one day, i will able to speak Lakota as fluent as my Na'vi  :D

Concerning the translation of Filling Pipe Song, i made it for the challenge
(yes, i have crazy ideas ;) )

You're right about books, and the fact i live in France is an other bad point : I need to be more selective about the books i want to read about Native way of life ;)
(Hopefully, i know pepole who are extremly respectful concerning Native Tribes give me lot of advices concerning this ot that book  :D )

Thanks a lot concerning hygienic methods, as i said, finding this kind of informations is quite difficult.

SteamPunk is a kind of Gn, i say  ;D
You can find vary different univers in Gn (PosApocalyptic, SteamPunk, Medieval, Actual, Futurist, etc)
And you can find different accuracy in different Gn (one type of Gn can be permissive regarding clothes/tools and playing, and in other Gn they want lot of accuracy in clothes/tools and playing)
The BlackHills Gn i practice want you to be authentic (good period concerning clothes, tools and playing )
We will not eject a person if she wear a belt from 1890 if the year is 1870  ;D

Tìftia ayngahu frakrr !
La Terre est basse.
Les lénitions, en rouge

xelloss

Kaltxì ma smuktu !

Prepare yourself for futur war is good, but think about present is better ;)
And now, we need to eat  :D
Here is a quver for hunt (whitout  ornaments we can find on War Party quiver or Ceremonial one)

The ornaments are detalium, a shell ;)

Details of the amulet (made by Thierry ;) )

The most observers will notice a lack of meow-like-animal called cat...
This is normal, the picture were taken just after the breastplate
So, the two ball of furr are doing what avery cat do just after piss of the Human : SLEEP  ;D

falutsyìp ahusahaw ayngahu frakrrr !
La Terre est basse.
Les lénitions, en rouge

Toliman

Kaltxì ma xelloss
Txantsan nìmun nìwotx :)

Quote from: xelloss on March 07, 2017, 12:26:06 PM
Details of the amulet (made by Thierry ;) )
Fì'u sunu oeru nìtxan :D

xelloss

Kaltxì ma Toliman

Irayo ngar nang, ma 'eylan  :D

Sunu oer fìnantang nang, oe peng  :-[

Tse,

Small pouch made between two crazy-beading-time
This is a present for a friend who wanted a cute object to carry his pipe

Ornaments are two claws and a part of tail from a desert fox  :D

"tobacco" is kinnikinnick (right) and red willow (left)

front and back have two parts glued and weaved to be timeproof ;)
(The flap and bottom ha just one piece)

Prrkxentrrkrr nang !
La Terre est basse.
Les lénitions, en rouge

Toliman